Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A little digest of artists that should cross your mind because of Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2011, 11:19 AM   #41
deathvalley96
empty page

deathvalley96 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
Trumans Water

Thanks! I'll check them out!
deathvalley96 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2011, 01:40 PM   #42
littlepriest
little trouble girl

littlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asses
Mats Gustafsson
Polvo
Dinosaur Jr.
William S. Burroughs
Half Japanese
Glenn Branca
No Wave in general
littlepriest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 12:36 AM   #43
deathvalley96
empty page

I have found some great bands from your suggestions--thanks! I should introduce myself: I'm Jeff, and, besides Sonic Youth I like REALLY aggressive and/or fucked up experimental music, such as Throbbing Gristle (anything), Nurse with Wound's first record (haven't heard the rest of their stuff--the first was brilliant, a structured cacophony), Zeena Parkins' "Nightmare Alley, DNA, Mars, early Butthole Surfers, Chrome, and other similar artists. I'm noticing that many of the bands that follow Sonic Youth, while very cool in what they do, are not as into dissonance. So, if you will put up with me, can you suggest other bands that are heavily into dissonance and perhaps some aggression (though I'm not seeking metal--I come from a background of Slayer and hardcore punk, and while I still like listening to them, and radically different "normal" music, I'm seeking out the wild, experimental bands who are not so easily categorized or predictable).

Note: some other people have mentioned Sonic Death as being a favorite tape: that burned CD was an absolute revalation to me! As is the live stuff from the finally rereleased "Sonic Youth" EP.

Thanks!

btw--does anybody know why a new person's posts will immediately be posted in some forum and rejected automatically in others? It would be nice to know that up front before wasting energy on posting them. Thanks again!
Old 11.25.2011, 03:24 AM   #44
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathvalley96
I have found some great bands from your suggestions--thanks! I should introduce myself: I'm Jeff, and, besides Sonic Youth I like REALLY aggressive and/or fucked up experimental music, such as Throbbing Gristle (anything), Nurse with Wound's first record (haven't heard the rest of their stuff--the first was brilliant, a structured cacophony), Zeena Parkins' "Nightmare Alley, DNA, Mars, early Butthole Surfers, Chrome, and other similar artists. I'm noticing that many of the bands that follow Sonic Youth, while very cool in what they do, are not as into dissonance. So, if you will put up with me, can you suggest other bands that are heavily into dissonance and perhaps some aggression (though I'm not seeking metal--I come from a background of Slayer and hardcore punk, and while I still like listening to them, and radically different "normal" music, I'm seeking out the wild, experimental bands who are not so easily categorized or predictable).

Note: some other people have mentioned Sonic Death as being a favorite tape: that burned CD was an absolute revalation to me! As is the live stuff from the finally rereleased "Sonic Youth" EP.

Thanks!

btw--does anybody know why a new person's posts will immediately be posted in some forum and rejected automatically in others? It would be nice to know that up front before wasting energy on posting them. Thanks again!

The only reason I can think of that some of yr posts disappear is if they contained links. I think new members have to have 10 posts before you can post links on this board (so you should be ok now)

check out Sunburned Hand Of The Man!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 03:50 AM   #45
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathvalley96

Thanks!

Harry Pussy Los Llamarada
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 04:43 AM   #46
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Year of the Lips
Old 11.25.2011, 11:01 PM   #47
deathvalley96
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Harry Pussy Los Llamarada

Major thanks for the heads up on Harry Pussy! Damn, this is fucked up in the best way....
Old 01.06.2012, 02:27 AM   #48
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Live Skull
Swans
Nirvana
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth