Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Best SY live recording each year 1981-2010
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2011, 07:47 PM   #1
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

wilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asses
Hey. I was hoping to get some opinions on some of the better shows over at utkonos. Ideally I'd like to put together a collection of the best representative show from each year. And I need some guidance.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
wilsonreid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
this one. http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossle...07.sbd.flac16/
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Cool idea for a thread, I've actually always wanted to include a "SY bootlegs for beginners" article in the Concert Chronology!

I won't offer a full list of my choices yet, but I look forward to see what people suggest!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2011, 01:26 AM   #4
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I think there was already a thread similar to this, in which atari 2600 posted an useful list of his picks, but i ran a search and wasn't able to find it. I'll be glad to post my suggestions later as i really love Sonic Youth's live performances, and since my chances of seeing them live are limited, i've resorted to these type of recordings to have the chance of enjoying the band's wizardry. Gotta go to sleep now, but first i have to say i agree completely with Adolfo's suggestion. That's an astounding show. It's essential to also grab the DVD if possible. "Blastic Scene", and thir13en's remasters of the shows at Veterans Wadsworth Theater in Los Angeles on May 29, 1998 and the one at Roseland Ballroom in Portland, Oregon on July 1st, 2006; are also some of the most essential live recordings that i would recommend and praise due to the quality of the audio and the awesomeness of the performances.
Old 06.12.2011, 07:29 PM   #5
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

wilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asseswilsonreid kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for your replies. The utkonos site is so amazing. I'll be sure to check out anything that is recommended by you guys. Thanks again.
Old 06.13.2011, 06:29 PM   #6
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I think there was already a thread similar to this, in which atari 2600 posted an useful list of his picks, but i ran a search and wasn't able to find it. I'll be glad to post my suggestions later as i really love Sonic Youth's live performances, and since my chances of seeing them live are limited, i've resorted to these type of recordings to have the chance of enjoying the band's wizardry. Gotta go to sleep now, but first i have to say i agree completely with Adolfo's suggestion. That's an astounding show. It's essential to also grab the DVD if possible. "Blastic Scene", and thir13en's remasters of the shows at Veterans Wadsworth Theater in Los Angeles on May 29, 1998 and the one at Roseland Ballroom in Portland, Oregon on July 1st, 2006; are also some of the most essential live recordings that i would recommend and praise due to the quality of the audio and the awesomeness of the performances.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Is Blastic Scene on utkonos?
Old 06.13.2011, 06:54 PM   #7
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
"Blastic Scene" is considered a semi-official release, pretty much in the same way as "Sonic Death", "Hold That Tiger", "Live In Venlo, Holland" and "Live At The Continental Club" (just to name a few), and i would bet that's the reason why those aren't available on the utkonos server. Check this information at Chris Lawrence's mustang site for specific details regarding "Blastic Scene":

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/071493.html

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/boot2.html

The fact that "Live At The Continental Club", "Hold That Tiger" and "Live In Venlo, Holland"can be purchased at the Sonic Youth webstore, kinda makes me think that it's possible that "Blastic Scene" could be offered as an official (digital) release at some point, meanwhile i suppose there must be a working download link somewhere if you run a Google search. I took a look at two of my hard drives, and wasn't able to find a copy, which really worries me and i should keep looking as it simply would be a sin to lack this recording in anyone's collection. Sadly, though, i currently lack the time to do a conscious and deep search. If you post a request i'm sure someone might be able to hook you up with a copy of the audio and maybe the DVD, too (which i don't have). Sorry, i'm not able to help any further this time around.
Old 06.22.2011, 10:19 AM   #8
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

Thanks again for the guidance.
Old 06.23.2011, 10:00 AM   #9
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

Does anyone else have a favorite show to recommend?
Old 06.23.2011, 12:10 PM   #10
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
here's a few of my favorite show dates

6/18/81
1/14/85
8/21/91
7/04/92
11/22/09
Old 06.23.2011, 01:30 PM   #11
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
7/??/81 Just Above Midtown/Downtown Gallery NYC

12/11/82 Folk City NYC FM (Radioaufnahme disc 1 FM sbd)

4/14/83 Long Island, NY
10/30/83 The Loft Berlin FM (Radioaufnahme disc 2 FM sbd)
11/20/83 The Exhaus Trier, Germany

10/24/84 Maxwell's Hoboken, NJ

1/05/85 Gila Monster Jamboree Mojave Desert, CA dvd
3/31/85 The Melkweg Amsterdam
10/10/85 Schlachthof Bremen, Germany dvd
10/30/85 ULU London and Brighton Beach - The Walls Have Ears

5/11/86 Paradiso Amsterdam sbd

10/13/87 Headliners Madison, WI dvd

12/13/88 CBGB NYC sbd

4/02/89 Markthalle Hamburg, Germany

11/03/90 Crawford Hall Irvine, CA sbd (full show avail/portions appear on Dirty Boots ep)

8/27/91 The Aladin Bremen, Germany Live in Bremen sbd

11/26/92 Teatro Tendastrisce, Rome, Italy sbd

7/14/93 Campo Paqueno Lisbon, Portugal Blastic Scene
7/14/93 Campo Paqueno Lisbon, Portugal pro dvd

9/12/95 L'eysee Monmartre, Paris sbd Washing Machine German Bonus Disc

4/07/96 Philipshalle Dusseldorf FM sbd Easter, Hallucinogenic Preserve, etc.
4/07/96 Philipshalle Dusseldorf, Germany pro dvd

6/12/97 Sessions at West 54th pro dvd

5/29/98 Veterans Wadsworth Theatre Los Angeles

4/01/99 Bowery Ballroom NYC

8/11/00 Sapphire Supper Club, Orlando, FL dvd

10/07/01 World Trade Center Benefit Bowery Ballroom NYC pro dvd

6/27/02 Paradiso Amsterdam, Holland FabChannel pro dvd
8/13/02 WERS-FM in-studio Boston (acoustic with Thurston, Lee, & Jim)

05/07/03 PBS Soundstage Chicago pro dvd
7/12/03 Ilosaarirock Festival Joensuu, Finland

8/27/04 Rock en Seine Paris FM sbd
8/27/04 Rock en Seine Paris pro dvd

6/03/05 Art Rock Festival Place Poulain Corbian Saint Brieuc, France sbd
6/03/05 Art Rock Festival Place Poulain Corbian Saint Brieuc, France sbd pro dvd
6/23/05 Eurokeenes Festival Belfort, France pro dvd

10/27/05 Cite de la Musique Paris John Lennon: Unfinished Music Festival (2nd night)

6/15/06 9:30 Club Washington, D.C. (early show)
6/15/06 9:30 Club Washington, D.C. (late show)
6/16/06 XM Radio Session Radio XM Studios
Washington, DC

7/13/07 Pitchfork Festival, Union Park Chicago matrix

7/04/08 Battery Park NYC Benefit for WFMU-FM

7/07/09 9:30 Club Washington, DC 2nd night from NPR broadcast

10/07/10 Austin City Limits Austin, TX pro dvd
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 01:56 PM   #12
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

I'd say those are all wise recommendations. I've taken atari's suggestions regarding Sonic Youth recordings into consideration in the past, and that have resulted in tons of fun. You can't go wrong here, wilsonreid.

At the moment, i think i'll add the recording of the 2002-11-30 show at Irving Plaza in New York, even though it's an audience source, not a pro-shot like the Paradiso DVD atari has listed.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 10:08 PM   #13
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
7/??/81 Just Above Midtown/Downtown Gallery NYC

12/11/82 Folk City NYC FM (Radioaufnahme disc 1 FM sbd)

4/14/83 Long Island, NY
10/30/83 The Loft Berlin FM (Radioaufnahme disc 2 FM sbd)
11/20/83 The Exhaus Trier, Germany

10/24/84 Maxwell's Hoboken, NJ

1/05/85 Gila Monster Jamboree Mojave Desert, CA dvd
3/31/85 The Melkweg Amsterdam
10/10/85 Schlachthof Bremen, Germany dvd
10/30/85 ULU London and Brighton Beach - The Walls Have Ears

5/11/86 Paradiso Amsterdam sbd

10/13/87 Headliners Madison, WI dvd

12/13/88 CBGB NYC sbd

4/02/89 Markthalle Hamburg, Germany

11/03/90 Crawford Hall Irvine, CA sbd (full show avail/portions appear on Dirty Boots ep)

8/27/91 The Aladin Bremen, Germany Live in Bremen sbd

11/26/92 Teatro Tendastrisce, Rome, Italy sbd

7/14/93 Campo Paqueno Lisbon, Portugal Blastic Scene
7/14/93 Campo Paqueno Lisbon, Portugal pro dvd

9/12/95 L'eysee Monmartre, Paris sbd Washing Machine German Bonus Disc

4/07/96 Philipshalle Dusseldorf FM sbd Easter, Hallucinogenic Preserve, etc.
4/07/96 Philipshalle Dusseldorf, Germany pro dvd

6/12/97 Sessions at West 54th pro dvd

5/29/98 Veterans Wadsworth Theatre Los Angeles

4/01/99 Bowery Ballroom NYC

8/11/00 Sapphire Supper Club, Orlando, FL dvd

10/07/01 World Trade Center Benefit Bowery Ballroom NYC pro dvd

6/27/02 Paradiso Amsterdam, Holland FabChannel pro dvd
8/13/02 WERS-FM in-studio Boston (acoustic with Thurston, Lee, & Jim)

05/07/03 PBS Soundstage Chicago pro dvd
7/12/03 Ilosaarirock Festival Joensuu, Finland

8/27/04 Rock en Seine Paris FM sbd
8/27/04 Rock en Seine Paris pro dvd

6/03/05 Art Rock Festival Place Poulain Corbian Saint Brieuc, France sbd
6/03/05 Art Rock Festival Place Poulain Corbian Saint Brieuc, France sbd pro dvd
6/23/05 Eurokeenes Festival Belfort, France pro dvd

10/27/05 Cite de la Musique Paris John Lennon: Unfinished Music Festival (2nd night)

6/15/06 9:30 Club Washington, D.C. (early show)
6/15/06 9:30 Club Washington, D.C. (late show)
6/16/06 XM Radio Session Radio XM Studios
Washington, DC

7/13/07 Pitchfork Festival, Union Park Chicago matrix

7/04/08 Battery Park NYC Benefit for WFMU-FM

7/07/09 9:30 Club Washington, DC 2nd night from NPR broadcast

10/07/10 Austin City Limits Austin, TX pro dvd

This is really really great. Exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for this, truly!
Old 06.23.2011, 10:10 PM   #14
wilsonreid
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
here's a few of my favorite show dates

6/18/81
1/14/85
8/21/91
7/04/92
11/22/09

And thanks for this, too! I will explore any show that is someone's favorite.
Awesome.
Old 06.24.2011, 11:34 AM   #15
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Well 6/18/81 was the first public appearance of the band so that makes it a must and the remastered version of the show is awesome sound wise. the 85 91 and 92 shows are fairly clean sound wise and 11/22/09 I was at the show with my son and daughter. The Feelies backed them up and were indeed also awesome. If you need a pointer to the show I might be able to provided it as I have both bands recorded. I notice utkonos doesn't have the show so if someone gives me a hand with the particulars of making the show available I'll be willing to do such. Another few shows I enjoy:

6/11/83
08/09/08
04/21/01 - for choice of songs personal favorites Mote & NYC Ghosts and Flowers mixed in with 100%, Kool Thing, Teenage Riot etc. etc
Old 07.04.2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Bakesalee
little trouble girl

Bakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone know if a recording exists of their show in California, July 1999? This is the concert where they played other bands equipment because of the theft.

I was at this show, it was my second SY show, and without blowing smoke up anyone's ass, perhaps the best experience of my life. I'd seen them before, and my impression up to that point was that they play the most current album, with a few older tracks thrown in - usually during the encore. Well boy was I in for a surprise.

Well, I'm not sure - but I theorize that because they used borrowed equipment, and lacked spare guitars in alternate tunings, they played something off nearly every album. I can remember among others (maybe 1 or 2 from Sister as well):

-Mote
-Kool Thing
-Sunday
-Anagrama

I think they played Schizophrenia or Teenage Riot (but not both), and this as the others was a real treat. As far as I know at that point in time, they weren't playing these songs. Obviously they do now though.

It was easily the best performance I've ever seen. I waited up in front all day for them to come on. I almost fainted before Sleater Kinney because of the heat and lack of water/bathroom trips. When SY came on it was like being on ecstacy. I've never felt that way since. Just pure chills.
Bakesalee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2011, 09:24 AM   #17
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakesalee
Does anyone know if a recording exists of their show in California, July 1999? This is the concert where they played other bands equipment because of the theft.

I was at this show, it was my second SY show, and without blowing smoke up anyone's ass, perhaps the best experience of my life. I'd seen them before, and my impression up to that point was that they play the most current album, with a few older tracks thrown in - usually during the encore. Well boy was I in for a surprise.

Well, I'm not sure - but I theorize that because they used borrowed equipment, and lacked spare guitars in alternate tunings, they played something off nearly every album. I can remember among others (maybe 1 or 2 from Sister as well):

-Mote
-Kool Thing
-Sunday
-Anagrama

I think they played Schizophrenia or Teenage Riot (but not both), and this as the others was a real treat. As far as I know at that point in time, they weren't playing these songs. Obviously they do now though.

It was easily the best performance I've ever seen. I waited up in front all day for them to come on. I almost fainted before Sleater Kinney because of the heat and lack of water/bathroom trips. When SY came on it was like being on ecstacy. I've never felt that way since. Just pure chills.

i don't know of a recording of the show but here's some more info.

http://sonicyouth.com/history/con-set.html

Date: Sunday, July 4th, 1999
City: Irvine, California, USA
Venue: Oak Canyon Ranch -- This Ain't No Picnic Festival

SET LIST
She Is Not Alone
Teenage Riot Mote
Brother James
Sunday
Stil
Heather Angel
Tom Violence
White Kross
Sugar Kane
Shadow of a Doubt
Expressway to yr Skull
Death Valley '69

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Bakesalee
little trouble girl

Bakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo

The last song (track 11, Diamond Sea) can't be decoded by flac. There is an error at the 57% mark. I have e-mailed the person that runs the site.
Bakesalee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2011, 12:03 PM   #19
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakesalee
The last song (track 11, Diamond Sea) can't be decoded by flac. There is an error at the 57% mark. I have e-mailed the person that runs the site.

here's a new link for track 11: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=APF0CQ9N

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2011, 02:36 PM   #20
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
I was at the Veteran's Wadsworth show in 1998 and the "This Ain't No Picnic" fest in 1999 the day the guitars were stolen, both were really excellent shows.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth