Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Saw Jim O'rourke at the Stone last night.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2006, 04:53 PM   #1
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
So, Jim O'rourke played at the stone last night. I caught the 10 o'clock set which was him on acoustic guitar and Tim Barnes on percussion. It was really really good, extremely weird in a way, but really sweet and pretty.

Jim came out and his posture was completely hunched over. No one clapped. He said "hello," and everyone clapped, to which he replied "It's okay... you don't..." So yes, another akward clapping incedent at The Stone... I tell you the set-up of that place makes clapping when the person comes on weird... Like the audience needs a cue other than just the performer coming out.

Jim then explained his posture by saying "Sorry, I have a broken neck... So I'm gonna be stuck in this position." He was really really obviously fucked up on pain killers and spoke in that dreamy, I'm fucked up on pain-killers kind of way. Let me preface that with a clear statement that I'm not talking shit or being judgmental, and I really am just speculating that he was on perscription drugs, but the man looked like he was on medication and his neck really did look it was hurting. Don't want to start like gossip or something

That must suck to have a hurt neck (wonder if it was really "broken" he didn't have a neck brace on or anything, maybe he took it off before playing) and try to play guitar, especially the kind of acoustic guitar he improvised, with crazy intervals and fucked up timing and weird chords. He was looking at the fretboard the whole time and kind of bobbing his neck with out bending it, and looked like he was in pain, rubbing it during sections while he wasn't playing.

Well anyway he seemed really out of it when he talked to the audience. A before he played he just kind of stared at this one girl at the audience and smiled and kind of nodded his chin at her awkwardly. She apologized, and he said "No, I'm interested... Whatcha writing?" She explained, she was text-messaging a friend who was going through a rough time and who had tried to call her just then, saying that she couldn't talk because she was at the show. Jim than said "Oh, tell her I apologize..." It was really really sweet... and got a huge laugh from the audience. To which Jim kind of slurred out "No, I'm serious..." Someone then turned off their cell-phone and it had a real etheral turn off sound, to which Jim got a startled look and said "What was that? Sounded like angel arrived..." It was real cute... I hope he gets better soon.

Anyway the set itself was very dreamy, and pretty. It was a Derek Bailey tribute show and you could tell Jim brought out a bunch of his influence in his playing, but mixed with his own personal style. Lots of harmonics, lots of jumping around to weird intervals, interspersed with harmonics, and odd chords, vaguely jazz like, vaguely folk like... Tim Barnes played excellent percussion... a lot of stuff with his hands and rubbing some little bell-like hand balls on the snares... Jim wasn't plugged into anything so it was just his straight acoustic guitar and very quiet, and the audience was extremely quiet and attentive. Ambulances passing outside were louder than his playing so everyone was straining to listen. My girlfriend almost nodded out during it because it was so pillowy and relaxing. It sounded kind of like the more coherent/normal sounding parts of like Xylophonen Virtuosin, as well as other records Jim has put out... not as Folky or thick as like Bad Timing. He did use reoccuring themes and phrases though changing the rhythm and timing as he came back to them. He stopped playing for several oddly timed moments, and thoughtfully came back in. It was actually really hard to figure out when they were done playing... like it seemed at moments that they would stop playing and maybe waiting for the audience to clap, but then continued playing. They played awhile at least 30, maybe 40 minutes. It was hard to keep track of how long it went on because I had my eyes closed during a lot of it... I got lost in it. They stopped and Jim kind of put his guitar off his knee and got a nice round of applause.

Jim thanked us and said some words about how great it was people were coming out to support the kind of music Derek Bailey played and liked. He sounded really really sad when he talked about Derek.

Anyway, it was a nice show, and I hope Jim's neck feels better soon.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Thanks for the great review... sounds like a cool show!

Where is this so called "stone"?
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:14 PM   #3
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Thanks for the great review... sounds like a cool show!

Where is this so called "stone"?

The Stone is located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, 2nd and Ave. C... Its owned or at least curated by John Zorn. Its less a venue and more of like a performance space. There's no bar and I believe all profits go straight to musicians. Its tiny. I can't imagine it fitting more than 100 people, probably holds way less normally. I think there were about 50 last night. $10 for all shows, $5 for students. www.thestonenyc.com
Old 05.17.2006, 05:15 PM   #4
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Wow top 40 squeeze what a great review... I almost felt like I was there for a hot second.
Jim rules.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:24 PM   #5
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Wow top 40 squeeze what a great review... I almost felt like I was there for a hot second.
Jim rules.

Thanks, I'd totally down to like write music reviews for a magazine or online thingy, but I don't feel like I'm opinionated enough to, or really understand the technical language of music enough to. Oh, and I also don't mind ending sentences with prepositions.
Old 05.17.2006, 05:35 PM   #6
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Thanks, I'd totally down to like write music reviews for a magazine or online thingy, but I don't feel like I'm opinionated enough to, or really understand the technical language of music enough to. Oh, and I also don't mind ending sentences with prepositions.

Well enthusiasm counts for a lot in my book... being able to translate your gut reactions and feelings in an entertaining and engaging manner is all that I ask for.
You place your prepositions where you like!.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:44 PM   #7
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Ha, another awkward welcome! Thanks for the review.
Old 05.17.2006, 06:19 PM   #8
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
better review than i have read in any mag, but then again if you write for a mag you have to review stuff you hate.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 08:30 PM   #9
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
sounds kool. I wish I could see him here in Toronto.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 02:45 AM   #10
faggot mangler
little trouble girl

faggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's asses
I miss Jim!
faggot mangler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 04:45 AM   #11
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
fantastic review... i've given you some rep...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 06:39 PM   #12
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone know what he is up to these days?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth