Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page People commenting on songs you like
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2010, 07:54 PM   #21
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
"what the fuck is this? i can make same shit with an electric toothbrush in my mouth." - my brother on hearing merzbow for the first time

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 04:49 AM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
My sister when I played her the music ''Are you sure? Is that really you?''. She then muttered something about how she is happy about me being creative and turned the thing off.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 05:17 AM   #23
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Juno told me once that Sonic Youth just sounds like a bunch of noise.
Old 09.20.2010, 06:31 AM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Has anyone else ever been lucky enough to catch Melt Banana live? They seriously put on one of the best, and most intensive shows I've ever seen.

yep.....about a year ago... and agreed..stunning live band.
Old 09.20.2010, 03:45 PM   #25
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I let my boss (who is into pop country) listen to the Destroyed Room and she just made some really wierd faces at me.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2010, 04:29 PM   #26
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
"what the fuck is this? i can make same shit with an electric toothbrush in my mouth." - my brother on hearing merzbow for the first time

yah. I've had people just ask me "why?" when I've put on Merzbow.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2010, 04:30 PM   #27
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
yep.....about a year ago... and agreed..stunning live band.

Melt Banana wouldn't get the time of day if they weren't Japanese. So over-hyped it is sick. If it was just a bunch of white kids from America they would be laughed at.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Oh god, people think I'm absolutely insane if I ever try introducing them to Merzbow! It's almost as if they expect me to go "just kidding!" at the end.

I once showed Diamanda Galas' video for Double Barrel Prayer to a trained singer, in hopes that maybe she'd find the structure of the song to be hip, and intriguing. Instead she was just hung up on the weirdness of it all. Go figure.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 12:57 AM   #29
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Enough of my friends have had some bullshit to say about Daniel Johnston. Who happens to be one of my favorite song writers. I don't even wanna repeat any of that ignorant mess.. Whatever though. to each his own
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 12:59 AM   #30
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I hear ya Murmer. All through high school all the people I hung out with A. weren't familiar with the music I was really interested in (SY, Lightning Bolt, Deerhoof, stranger than normal stuff like that), and B. when I'd try to talk to them about it, they'd always react really negatively.

So it was an uphill battle for a long time to get ANYONE interested in Sonic Youth. I got this one guys girlfriend to listen to them and enjoy them. But she only liked certain albums sparingly, mostly just Dirty really. She hated ATL.

But what I've found to kind of work is just kind of systematically work their way to those kind of bands via more gateway-ish bands. Like oh you like those 60's bands, maybe you'll like Velvet Underground, as that's easier to take than SY I guess. Like Ramones? You'll dig Black Flag. That's been fairly effective. I'm working on getting this one guy into Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 right now. He likes Polvo, so I shouldn't have to do much.

I don't think I'll be able to get any of them into Caroliner though.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 01:36 AM   #31
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
Enough of my friends have had some bullshit to say about Daniel Johnston. Who happens to be one of my favorite song writers. I don't even wanna repeat any of that ignorant mess.. Whatever though. to each his own

i think Daniel Johnston is great. theres something about the song "Lazy" that makes me want to listen to it over and over again.. the opening and closing piano riffs are just amazing.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 01:39 AM   #32
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
and i don't know.. ive just never had the desire to get anyone into the music i listen to. and it wouldnt disappoint me if i had a friend who disliked a band i recommended them. i dont want to make anyone feel guilty for not having the same preference as i do. and i certainly dont want anyone pretending to like something to please someone else either.. they'd be lying to themselves. it does nothing for me, it isnt going to make me like or dislike the sound of it any more than i did before.
Old 09.21.2010, 03:50 AM   #33
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
nico singin'

friend: is she mentally retarded?
me: no, she's german.
friend: same thing.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 04:08 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Joe, I've seen MB twice and they're by far the best live band I've ever seen. I think they should be on everyone's list of bands to see before they die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Melt Banana wouldn't get the time of day if they weren't Japanese. So over-hyped it is sick. If it was just a bunch of white kids from America they would be laughed at.

Did someone else say this, and you decided to post it on here so we can laugh at it?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 05:04 AM   #35
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
nico singin'

friend: is she mentally retarded?
me: no, she's german.
friend: same thing.

Hahaha, that's a riot.

I will admit when I first listened to the Velvet Underground I was caught off guard by her way of singing. It's great, but certainly strange.

Old 09.21.2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Murmer99
stalker

yes same here, it took me a while to like her singing.. it was just strange as count mecha said. but after a few more listens i ended up loving it. Femme Fatale was the song..
Old 09.21.2010, 03:24 PM   #37
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Of all my concert going pals who I've seen well over a 100 shows with never mind riding around listening to 8 tracks then cassettes with, I am the only one who listens to Sonic Youth. Comments like Garbage, Are you serious, No fucking way, get that shit off now, she sounds like a cat stuck under a tire and so on. I'm sure you get the picture.
Old 09.21.2010, 09:21 PM   #38
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I work in a radio newsroom, and one of our reporters was doing a story about the last batch of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was on the air reading over the list of artists being inducted and when he got to The Stooges, the guy next to me turns and says, "The Stooges!? Why the hell would they put a comedy troupe into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!? What do The Stooges have to do with music!?"

I stared at him like he was the dumbest person I had ever encountered in my life, and he goes, "What? Were they a band too!?"

I just said, "Yeah... yeah they were." and went back to what I was working on.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 11:41 PM   #39
Count Mecha
100%

HAHA He was really thinking of the The Three Stooges? That's out of control!

Old 09.22.2010, 01:20 AM   #40
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha

I don't think I'll be able to get any of them into Caroliner though.

Ha, even some of my friends that are into experimental don't take kindly to Caroliner when I show them. I fucking love em. I recently wrote a review of them while on MDMA on a friend's blog that primarily focuses on metal, interested in if it sparked any kind of reaction: http://www.bloodyunderrated.net/2010...-by-robin.html.

Quote:

-Back when I was living with the folks, I'd play SunnO))) and my parents would come into my room and say "Good lord, how are you supposed to dance to this?! It's just feedback" followed by them pretending to try and dance to it. I'd tell them dancing to it involves bowing to the winterdemons.

-Often when dealing with people's parents that know I like different vibes than them say something like "NO FUCKING NOISE. Anyone could make shit that sounds like that".

It doesn't bother me at all anymore, I usually just laugh and tell them they're missing the point.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth