Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.07.2013, 11:18 AM   #44181
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
same. i like it better than Wolf and Indigoism. but i'm certain it'll be topped until the end of the year.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2013, 03:19 PM   #44182
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I'm liking LongLiveA$AP more with each listen. At first I was unmoved by most of it, now I'd definitely place it among the best releases of the year so far. In any genre.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2013, 03:36 PM   #44183
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Sharon Van Etten - A crime (The Earl 04/25/2012)
Old 04.07.2013, 04:34 PM   #44184
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPHbbyqRI4
Old 04.08.2013, 07:27 AM   #44185
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.08.2013, 05:05 PM   #44186
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

The Doors - Other voices
Old 04.09.2013, 07:58 PM   #44187
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
john fahey - womblife
swans - holy money
fushitsusha -purple trap
harry pussy - you'll never play in this town again
velvet underground - white light/white heat
nurse with wound - alice the goon
coil - love's secret domain
the knife - shaking the habitual
mark fell - scale structure synthesis
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2013, 10:02 PM   #44188
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp93bcp4HCM

i recentally picked up some brand new minidiscs. so once again, i had to do another Zappathon (already have 10 done) and ended up doing some live albums this time around. so, i get to this point of finally listening to One Shot Deal, which i've had for fucking years and just never got around to listening to it. which i have no idea why i picked it up, other then it was cheap at the show (ZPZ#III) and it just sat there. so here we go. the song i posted in the link came on, and i was like, what in the fuck?!? NO WAY!!!! FUCKING AWESOME!!! and here i couldve had this pleasure years ago. it could very well be one of the longest cds that i've never touched for years. surprised we didn't listen to it on the way home from the show. we might've but that was years ago. but still, if i did. then i totally forgot about it!

Here's your fifty bucks Mary.
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2013, 06:12 AM   #44189
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Deerhunter - Monomania.
Old 04.10.2013, 07:38 AM   #44190
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Deerhunter - Monomania.
thoughts?

I'm glad I approached this with a fuckload of trepidation, as after 3 listens I think it is by a considerable distance their worst record. I don't understand this hyperbolic crap that cox spewed up about reich and schaeffer, as there is nothing even remotely avant-garde about this record; in fact, it's decidedly pedestrian and could easily be the work of those who are now their peers in light of how shit this record is.

cox doesn't seem to realize that, now that he's laid all his cards on the table in terms of songwriting he has to undergo a massive shift in the manner in which he creates an album, ie by actually putting some effort into crafting it as a whole. it's pretty obvious that he's controlling it all now, seeing as there aren't any extended full-band jams or anything on this record. it sounds like a batch of outtakes from the last atlas sound record, just roughed up a bit as a means of showing this contrived authenticity and grime which they used to be the fucking kingpins of, it was seemingly intrinsic.

it really says a lot that pundt's track is by some distance the best here (even though it doesn't compare to his brilliant pop songs like desire lines, strange lights, agoraphobia), and I think it proves a fear of mine which has come to the fore of late: if cox is indeed monomanic, then his obsession is quite blatantly his own self-mythologising. he has gotten into this rut where he thinks that his lyrics can speak for themselves when they can't. moreover, he needs to realise he isn't fucking bo diddley, he's just a skinny white kid who had a knack for quirky pop songs and beautiful atmospheric noise rock.

I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say though as I feel like an absolute fucking killjoy. maybe it's just because my listening proclivities have drifted well away from this 'indie' stuff but I used to be absolutely fucking obsessed with this band, I thought they were going to save not only underground rock but the form in general. here, they're just playing it so fucking safe that is beyond unbearable, at least for me.
Old 04.10.2013, 08:29 AM   #44191
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
being i loved alot of what Deerhunter have done. i didn't even know there was a new album. i haven't even listened to the previous one. i was told the previous one is alright. so i thought i would check this out, being i didn't know about it. but yeah, the song Monomania is rather annoying. is there some weird frequency happening in there or is it just these shitty speakers?

either way, i'm going back to what i originally had on

SKINNY PUPPY - Too Dark Park (full album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyQc6xJyZg
Old 04.10.2013, 07:26 PM   #44192
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
thoughts?

I'm glad I approached this with a fuckload of trepidation, as after 3 listens I think it is by a considerable distance their worst record. I don't understand this hyperbolic crap that cox spewed up about reich and schaeffer, as there is nothing even remotely avant-garde about this record; in fact, it's decidedly pedestrian and could easily be the work of those who are now their peers in light of how shit this record is.

cox doesn't seem to realize that, now that he's laid all his cards on the table in terms of songwriting he has to undergo a massive shift in the manner in which he creates an album, ie by actually putting some effort into crafting it as a whole. it's pretty obvious that he's controlling it all now, seeing as there aren't any extended full-band jams or anything on this record. it sounds like a batch of outtakes from the last atlas sound record, just roughed up a bit as a means of showing this contrived authenticity and grime which they used to be the fucking kingpins of, it was seemingly intrinsic.

it really says a lot that pundt's track is by some distance the best here (even though it doesn't compare to his brilliant pop songs like desire lines, strange lights, agoraphobia), and I think it proves a fear of mine which has come to the fore of late: if cox is indeed monomanic, then his obsession is quite blatantly his own self-mythologising. he has gotten into this rut where he thinks that his lyrics can speak for themselves when they can't. moreover, he needs to realise he isn't fucking bo diddley, he's just a skinny white kid who had a knack for quirky pop songs and beautiful atmospheric noise rock.

I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say though as I feel like an absolute fucking killjoy. maybe it's just because my listening proclivities have drifted well away from this 'indie' stuff but I used to be absolutely fucking obsessed with this band, I thought they were going to save not only underground rock but the form in general. here, they're just playing it so fucking safe that is beyond unbearable, at least for me.

Bands mature. From Sonic Youth and JAMC to MBV and Pavement, growing from noise into pop has been the path of pretty much all of the seminal bands in the avante-garde. Doing so gracefully, as so few have done, is the mark of the best of the best.

I have had a feeling about Deerhunter since I first heard them. Being poppies to start with than Sonic Youth, it's understandable that they'd dabble in kraut and shoe gaze and garage-jazz fusion. I honestly don't have time to really talk about the album, and I've only heard it twice. However...

It's their best album since Cryptograms, and their second best overall.

It feels like a band beginning to really bring the various parts of its personality together. I didn't expect them to end up sounding like this (I.e. ... What the Strokes would have sounded like after their first album had they any genuine garage punk in their veins at all), but I can't say I'm not blown away by the strength of the cohesion. They have put the pieces together, and it works.

But instead of sounding planned, it sounds spontaneous and fluid. The heaviest moments of Halcyon, and the gentlest moments of Cryptograms are blended into one, leaving Microcastle sounding the most out of place.

I do wish I didn't think so much of Julian Casablancas when I heard it. The vocal textures are more retro than I'd like. But that's my only complaint at this moment. At best, they remind me of Bowie on his Philadelphia soul tangent. At worst, Cox sounds fucking exactly like Casablancas. But who didn't love Coronado? As I said, had the strokes been able to live up to the hype, Room on Fire may have sounded like this. I was hoping it would, actually.
Of all the bands that I "had a feeling" about, and thought might just be the Pavements and Sebadohs of the future during the '00s, Deerhunter's been the most stable and solid, making exactly the kind of records that will probably turn them into icons before much longer.
Old 04.10.2013, 07:36 PM   #44193
Severian
invito al cielo

Honestly, though: I expected them to travel a path more similar to that of the Flaming Lips by turning their noise into sharp melody, and and going going for a more dreamy, epic sound. Instead, I can't quite think of a band whose career predicted theirs. They're famous for weirdness, but they're getting less so all the time. Still, the fact that they're doing so with class makes this seem less like a noise band going pop, and more like a great noisy pop band doing what great noisy pop bands do.

I'd still like to hear them take a darker turn some day, and show us the real follow-up to Cryptograms, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be listening to for the next few weeks. Then, I'll buy the thing.
Old 04.11.2013, 04:14 AM   #44194
louder
invito al cielo

ok so i understand guest's frustration, but still, i absolutely love the new Deerhunter album. great melodies.

goddamn, this year has been amazing so far. i seem to have a new fav album every week.
Old 04.11.2013, 04:21 AM   #44195
louder
invito al cielo

i find it hilarious that Bradford Cox hates Morrissey so much. http://flavorwire.com/newswire/bradf...ates-morrissey
Old 04.11.2013, 08:13 PM   #44196
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Honestly, though: I expected them to travel a path more similar to that of the Flaming Lips by turning their noise into sharp melody, and and going going for a more dreamy, epic sound. Instead, I can't quite think of a band whose career predicted theirs. They're famous for weirdness, but they're getting less so all the time. Still, the fact that they're doing so with class makes this seem less like a noise band going pop, and more like a great noisy pop band doing what great noisy pop bands do.

I'd still like to hear them take a darker turn some day, and show us the real follow-up to Cryptograms, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be listening to for the next few weeks. Then, I'll buy the thing.
these are my thoughts exactly. halcyon digest was fine as it was, but when I listen to it I'm perturbed somewhat by the fact that I know every song could be like desire lines or earthquake or something along those lines. I was hoping that their trajectory would be that they would take the microcastle sound and pretty much blow it the fuck up, more extreme in every way, so it would be more abstract but it would be tied together by their incredible melodies. I wanted them to use noise in the same way as say my bloody valentine, as a means of containing melody as opposed to something which clouds it.

stars of the lid - avec laundem
wolf eyes - no answer : lower floors
flying saucer attack - mirror
earth - angels of darkness, demons of light I
jim o'rourke - bad timing
popol vuh - in der garten pharaos
the dead c - s/t
Old 04.12.2013, 06:26 AM   #44197
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
these are my thoughts exactly. halcyon digest was fine as it was, but when I listen to it I'm perturbed somewhat by the fact that I know every song could be like desire lines or earthquake or something along those lines. I was hoping that their trajectory would be that they would take the microcastle sound and pretty much blow it the fuck up, more extreme in every way, so it would be more abstract but it would be tied together by their incredible melodies. I wanted them to use noise in the same way as say my bloody valentine, as a means of containing melody as opposed to something which clouds it.

stars of the lid - avec laundem
wolf eyes - no answer : lower floors
flying saucer attack - mirror
earth - angels of darkness, demons of light I
jim o'rourke - bad timing
popol vuh - in der garten pharaos
the dead c - s/t

To be fair, Deerhunter (or rather, Cox himself) is a more multi-focus musician than, say, the Lips or MBV were at this point in their careers. I think he may have used Atlas Sound as his vehicle for the kind of thing we're talking about, and that may have thrown off the career trajectory we were hoping for.

Does that make sense? It's as if "Let the Blind..." was where all the spacey noise that (in my opinion) should have been on Microcastle ended up. And Logos could have been album #5 all by itself. Then Halcyon may have made more sense, and this album would make more sense in the grand scheme.

It's like they were going to do a Lips or MBV thing, but Ckx decided to do that with the surprise Hit that was Atlas Sound instead, leaving Deerhunter as the more traditional project, and AS as the channel for experimentation.

If Atlas Sound never existed, Deerhunter might just have an extremely Sonic Youth-like discography at this point. I love Atlas Sound, but that thought kind of perturbs me. I'm all for multiple projects, but I also enjoy watching one of my favorite bands move through the chaotic and experimental phases under the same name they started out with.

I am still loving the shit out of this album, but I do wish it was longer, contained longer songs, and featured more of the discordant beauty that made me drop my jaw over this band in the first place. It's probably safe to assume that Cryptograms will be the best Deerhunter album... Always. And it's probably a safe bet that AS will bounce back from the atrocity that was Parallax (which to be fair, I must admit I only listened to once... But nothing about it sounded worth repeating, so there you have it. Yet "Let the Blind.." And. Logos are two of my favorite albums of the last 10 years. Pretty much perfect, as I said, just as Cryptograms was.

Anyway, obviously I have thought way too much about this. Ha
Old 04.12.2013, 10:19 AM   #44198
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

almost picked up this cd the other day
i oughta this weekend, it's been many years since i heard it
and funny how it still holds up in todays world
kinda like how Dead Kennedys still hold up years and decades later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS35PVNzpOk
Old 04.13.2013, 08:48 AM   #44199
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

went looking for Dearly Beloved on youtube and couldn't find htem, but in related searches it found this old Wes Montgomery cd
talk about not what i was looking for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-IZtSFUe7g
Old 04.13.2013, 11:00 AM   #44200
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Today I listened to the new Kurt Vile, Sleep's "jerusalem", Cat Stevens "teaser and the firecat", and right now is Kreamy 'Lectric Santa "Operation Spacetime Cynderblock".

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1710211021602200220722082209 2210 221122122213222022602310 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth