Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Art and depression
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.06.2007, 05:26 PM   #1
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
The indie snob thread got me thinking about this.

I have issues. I constantly feel like there is nothing out there for me, like everything is just designed for profit and I don't fit into that. Here is a list of things I feel negatively about:

-Sports
-Fashion
-Clubs
-Drugs
-Money
-Mainstream anything
-Sexualization
-Gender roles
-Advertising

Lots of other things. And it really affects the way I live. I used to go to counselling a lot, but eventually decided that it's ok if I feel that way, and that psychology was just out to make a buck through me. But I can't relate to people on the shallow level that people relate, with the shallow things they small talk about such as sports or mainstream music or whatever.

Basically, does anyone else feel that way? Like some sort of level of snobbery that borders on a severe mental health issue? And what do you do to cope with it? I swear I know how stupid this sounds, but I almost think I need counselling or something.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:30 PM   #2
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I feel the intellectuals are pricks. But I've become somewhat enthused by them. I used to get depressed, about something like what you are going through, but I had a shitty childhood. I've learned not to get depressed, just say oh well. And I do what I want to do, so do that. Don't let things get you down even if it looks like it is to get a buck out of you. Because in reality believe it or not everything is to make a buck out of you.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love sports. I get creampie when I watch the Olympics or american football. just enjoy the game, ignore the masses and the corporate schill selling shit that surrounds the games.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:35 PM   #4
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I guess what I meant by the profit thing is just that there will never be something interesting for me because, like someone said in that magazine thread, "It's all business man, sorry...". So I can't really hope for anything interesting on the surface, because it is all about selling as much as possible to as many people. Nobody wants to take a hit financially and sell to the minority. I love to pay for stuff I actually like. I actually like a lot of things.

But I guess where it used to be music, now I realize it's life in general. I need to find a place to fit in and shit. But I never will because I'm just not interested in what's out there.

I'm 24, btw, so it feels pretty awkward to be this angsty.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I love sports. I get creampie when I watch the Olympics or american football. just enjoy the game, ignore the masses and the corporate schill selling shit that surrounds the games.

Oh, yeah, well like I just don't like 'em so I can't talk about 'em with people. It's like a lack of common ground thing. I don't mean that it's necessarily wrong to like any of that stuff really... I think it's rad that you like sports.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:36 PM   #5
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
in many ways mental illness and creativity go hand in hand.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:37 PM   #6
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Oh don't worry, I am 22 and I sometimes still feel the same. I haven't found my clique. But like my boyfriend said, I will find it later. Are you going to college? Cause that has helped me too, with fitting in and all.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:37 PM   #7
kat~topia
little trouble girl

kat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asseskat~topia kicks all y'all's asses
my boyfriend & i both seem to have a very similar view on things as you do, actually...the world just seems so over filled with greed & shallowness that almost nothing seems truly real anymore...people take the meaning in everything away...& no one seems to really give a shit...it's depressing & nauseating...so if you need help then we probably do too...
it feels like an angel dreaming of you...
kat~topia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:39 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedius
But I can't relate to people on the shallow level that people relate, with the shallow things they small talk about such as sports or mainstream music or whatever.

this is the very thing that prevents me from getting my hair cut on a regular basis.

well....that and the fact that my vietnamese isn't so good.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:43 PM   #9
zedius
children of satan

I heard this commercial the other day for a restaurant and it was like "Blah blah blah we're so fucking oceanfront. Remember: It's not just a meal, it's an experience!". It's probably quite a nice restaurant, but I don't want to eat there now.

And I don't know if I think the masses are asses. Maybe I think they just don't care about the same things I do? And that's probably ok. So I think this is just the way things are.

And I was thinking of promoting an alternative, but I don't know what. Has anyone ever built their own alternative and been successful? I need to find the really crazy artists around here or somethng...
Old 03.06.2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedius
Yeah, I guess what I meant by the profit thing is just that there will never be something interesting for me because, like someone said in that magazine thread, "It's all business man, sorry...". So I can't really hope for anything interesting on the surface, because it is all about selling as much as possible to as many people. Nobody wants to take a hit financially and sell to the minority. I love to pay for stuff I actually like. I actually like a lot of things.

But I guess where it used to be music, now I realize it's life in general. I need to find a place to fit in and shit. But I never will because I'm just not interested in what's out there.

I'm 24, btw, so it feels pretty awkward to be this angsty.

Edit:

Oh, yeah, well like I just don't like 'em so I can't talk about 'em with people. It's like a lack of common ground thing. I don't mean that it's necessarily wrong to like any of that stuff really... I think it's rad that you like sports.

I'll try not to sound too patronising, but: the older you get, the more comfortable you tend to be with the way you are.

Your views seem pretty sound to me. All the things you have problems with would be on my list as well.

It'll probably always be the way.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:45 PM   #11
zedius
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
this is the very thing that prevents me from getting my hair cut on a regular basis.

well....that and the fact that my vietnamese isn't so good.

I know what you're saying. I got really lucky last time, because the guy who cut my hair used to work in electronics technology and that's what I just graduated from.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:46 PM   #12
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

I got to agree with pookie.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:53 PM   #13
zedius
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Oh don't worry, I am 22 and I sometimes still feel the same. I haven't found my clique. But like my boyfriend said, I will find it later. Are you going to college? Cause that has helped me too, with fitting in and all.

What did you take in college? I took computer engineering technology because I wanted to know how to make big amps and mixers and effects and stuff like that. Other people were there more to get good jobs building sensors for the bottom of the ocean and stuff. Which is cool, but different.
Old 03.06.2007, 05:55 PM   #14
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

Im there for photography, and also maybe after English. I want to be an English teacher for College. Los Angeles is too beruacratic to be a Teacher in High School which I would love to be. But they suck ass.
Old 03.06.2007, 06:57 PM   #15
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
zed-

I think the line for when it really becomes a health issue is if you're spending all your time worrying about the things you mentioned. If you're creative or have a hobby or whatever it is, put all of your energy into it until you're exhausted. Then you won't have anything left to waste stewing up on the majority of the nonsense. And theoretically, the more time that goes into something, the better you get at it, soon enough you'll hit the groups of people that do the same shit as you. Even if its crazy like building miniature forests out of hamster feces - you're bound to find others. And if not, well, you'll be the best poop forest gardner in the whole fucking world.
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 09:58 PM   #16
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I feel that way too. And I'm 24. But it's okay. There's a place for you. Look.

What do I do to cope with it? Therapy, meds, denial.... but mostly I try really hard not to let it all get to me. I really TRY. Every minute. I focus on all the things I like. I deny the value of all the things that people say I should like. I make an effort to ignore a lot of stuff. I let it slide. I try to laugh at it. Mocking it helps. Genuinely trying to see it as silly and laugh at it really helps.

Oh and I got into Buddhism. That helps too.

There ARE lots of alternatives. Lots and lots. It's okay.

But it's kind of late and I'm not sure what I'm typing.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 01:21 AM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Two peas in a pod!!!
Old 03.07.2007, 01:29 AM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
everyone has problems with depression at some point or gets stuck in a rut or finds themself in a difficult place or situation or whatever. it happens. it passes. i had a huge problem with it for a long time and now i'm done with that part of my life and i've moved on. sometimes it's best to just sweep things under the rug. eventually it will all pass.
Old 03.07.2007, 01:30 AM   #19
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

That's what I did, cantankerous. I got tired of being depressed, so I finally said fuck it.
Old 03.07.2007, 01:33 AM   #20
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
when it does pass you'll find how many cool things there are out there and how great yr. life can be. i'm having a lot of fun just not giving a fuck about anything and trying new things for no reason (squid is gross. mike watt was wrong).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth