Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Who the fuck is Skrillex?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.21.2012, 12:45 PM   #81
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
So shallow, so hollow, and so cold & devoid of emotion and soul. Give me some proper acid techno, banging Swedish techno, or funky/jazzy/techhouse/deephouse. Even D&B. Everyone knows that shit is designed to dance to all night... The fact that dubstep is what people picked up on in the American mainstream as a cross-over electronic genre is the reason so many of the older heads have all but given up on the local scene here.. Some of us are doing weirder shit now, because at least there is real passion and content and depth to it.

It's ironic for me that DnB is making a resurgence on the back of dubstep going overboard - for me, where the 2-step to Grime to Dubstep evolution works is because the club scene at the time was all breaks and intelligent drum n' bass. I'm by no means someone who was 'early' on the drum n' bass scene - probably started going around '98 or so - but between then and 2002 it had massively lost its way and become one of the least interesting genres. The fact that David Bowie and Sonic Youth had all made gestures towards making DnB albums probably says a lot (SY talked about ATL being a drum n' bass album). I suppose in a sense that's the same as Korn patronising dubstep for the mainstream - they're the old guard now.

This is an interesting thread for me... well, it's not mostly, because of the comments I made on page 1... but there's a realisation that it has been years and years since I paid attention to club music - I wasn't that into it by the time dubstep came along, and I've only heard bits of the house revival, bass and whatnot. I keep half an eye on dancehall and happy hardcore, but those are less like cutting edge things and more like old friends. Mmm. Ponderous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2012, 01:04 PM   #82
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
I have been lucky enough to witness a lot of house DJ's in Kansas City/St. Louis/Chicago and lots of D&B acts too. I'm 30, and spent most my 20's doing the club stuff, road tripping, perfecting the craft and building my home studio... but with no one to receive the message here. Maybe if I relocated, I could play out in some proper clubs, but for now I'm just working on some noise/ambient stuff with friends to save the stress.. utilizing the gear for other non dance projects and I'd probably be more satisfied with an abstract psych/drone/rock/noise presentation/performance and a truly engaged audience..

D&B was big here around 98-2002 even until maybe 2004 with Dieselboy etc. It was Prog House/Trance that was big with the 4/4 crew. I saw the Sasha & Digweed Delta Heavy tour in 2002. Yeah, there's always a "darling" genre it seems, and they usually do run their course. It's just a weird bastardization/disconnect to hear it make that leap to mainstream radio, of all choices... When I was in Jamaica random beautiful deep house would come on the radio... perfect! Out of all the club music I'd think something more palatable like that would make the radio waves, but not in America!

Also... ATL (D&B/idm versions)!? I would enlist Aphex Twin, Autechre, Spooky, Amon Tobin something like that? I always thought the Thurston/Spooky pairing was odd and interesting.

I really dig this Amon Tobin D&B track http://youtu.be/t_byFKB19pc
'nother http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzOgoO2-FLs

Quote:
It's ironic for me that DnB is making a resurgence on the back of dubstep going overboard - for me, where the 2-step to Grime to Dubstep evolution works is because the club scene at the time was all breaks and intelligent drum n' bass..

I do know that a LOT of D&B DJ's jumped ship to Dubstep when it got hot here.. kinda telling right there IMO.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 12:36 PM   #83
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
it's street fighting time
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth