Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The First Album that Got You Into All this Stuff?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2008, 09:57 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Obviously you weren't always the kid with the cool record collection, so what was that one album that set the bulb off in your ears?

I'd have to go for the Cramps comp. Bad Music for Bad People, which I must've got when I was around thirteen or fourteen. I think it was probably hearing the song 'She Said', which I thought was the most bizarre thing I'd ever heard in my entire life. And still do, to a large degree.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:04 AM   #2
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
NYC Ghost & Flowers opened the world of experimental music. It was the first SY album I heard and I was about 15 or 16. Free City Rhymes made my jaw drop.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Out of laziness, quoting myself from sonicl's similarly themed thread from a couple of year's ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Mine was Never Mind The Bollocks.

The year was 1978, I was about 11 and my favourite band was Showaddywaddy. I shared a bedroom with my older brother & he played NMTB constantly, to my disgust.

We had pretty violent fights over it for months until one day I found myself actually LOVING it. I didn't admit it for a while, but eventually ripped down all my Showaddywaddy posters and bought The Clash's first LP.

It was no looking back after that: The Clash led to The Damned led to Ramones led to Dead Kennedys led to Minor Threat, Meat Puppets, Minutemen, Sonic Youth........etc.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:12 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
That's weird because I think the first band I really loved was Showaddywaddy. I remember seeing them in their coloured drape coats and naively thinking they were the coolest thing in the world. The Darts too! I think after that (given the inevitable Madness obsession) it was The Police. But they were still a 'pop' band really, so it was still The Cramps that got me out of simply following the charts.
Old 08.04.2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Showaddywaddy were pretty cool if you were 10.

And what I left out of my original post was that the Damned led to Vice Squad, GBH and Discharge before I got to Meat Puppets, Minutemen etc.

What were you saying in the Oi! thread about ignoring this part of music's history?
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Kosako
children of satan

Kosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's asses
When I was 11 I got the Greatest Hits II of Queen. Then I listen to Aerosmith & GNR and when I was 14 I first listen to MTV's Nirvana Live & Loud and it blowed my mind. And I think, like many I started digging what influence Nirvana. There come Sonic Youth to me, Washing Machine CD was the first of my collection. I like all sort of music now, I'm kind of wide open minded, but the soundtrack of my life is SONIC YOUTH.
Kosako is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
when I was 9-10 I had Quiet Riot Metal Health, Motley Crue SHout @ The Devil, Def Leppard's Pyromania, and van halen 1984. Thios were my first favorite records.

I was a hardcore metal head/headbanger through thrash and speed metal. then, oh then

I bought this album

and I saw these guys

and I was like WHO THE FUCK?

and the music sounded so different, heavy, yet beautiful, insane, yet structured, screeching and fast, slow and grooving, all of it.
I listened to it endlessly and because of it I started watching 120 minutes as well as headbanger's ball.
then I bought daydream nation....

it was all gravy after that!
Old 08.04.2008, 10:29 AM   #8
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Probably In Utero.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:30 AM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
What were you saying in the Oi! thread about ignoring this part of music's history?

It's sort of true. You read 90% of books about punk and they act as though it ended with the Winterlands concert. The fact that nobody seemed to tell thousands of kids that explains how bands like Discharge managed to continue largely unnoticed by the media well into the 80s. Oi! as crucial to the early 80s as potato puffs, Farah trousers and Tucker Jenkins.
Old 08.04.2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
First one to point me in the right direction:

Old 08.04.2008, 10:36 AM   #11
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Probably In Utero.

Good place to start. I would have picked that, but since it's already been stated, I guess I'll go with...

-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:37 AM   #12
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I fell in love with that PIL song watching the cyberpunk B movie HARDWARE
Old 08.04.2008, 10:58 AM   #14
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
The first album of my collection was Tyranosaurus Hives by The Hives. But I'd say the album that really "got me into all this stuff" was NYC Ghosts & Flowers - I heard Nevermind (what was it anyway) on the store where I bought that Hives album and that made me discover the band and stuff
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Good place to start. I would have picked that, but since it's already been stated, I guess I'll go with...

Same here. I got that when I was like 12 or something? I don't know. Mellow Gold by Beck soon followed.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 11:02 AM   #16
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
I have to thank my old man for this:

EDIT: It's not strictly an album, but who gives a frig.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 11:04 AM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I was horrible through my teen years. Before that I liked some unusual stuff, at least for my age. Classical, Ragtime, 50's rock, etc. No theme, unless you consider the fact that I didn't let anybody else decide for me what I liked. Then as I hit my early teens, insecurity set in. My cousin, along with people at school, started influencing me towards mainstream music. By 16 I was all about Master P, Juvenile, Usher, all of that crap. It wasn't until Ruda came along (otherwise known as RdTV on the board) that I was able to start breaking free from the brainwashing I had undergone. He helped me get back to my roots; maybe not musically, but towards how I originally viewed music, where it wasn't a determining factor of your social status, but rather just something that you should enjoy for your own satisfaction. In addition to his constant playing of Sonic Youth, Stereolab, Radiohead, etc., etc. - that I didn't like at the time - I also started getting into the guitarist Buckethead. In and of itself that maybe be the best stuff out there, but it led me to Bill Laswell and he led me to a plethora of other musicians, and the doors swung wide open.

I went through a strange trasistional period too. It could almost be likened to schizophrenia, except I wouldn't consider it in anyway dangerous. I would go through "phases," if you will. I would be ALL about rap, for instance, for 2 weeks and almost hate anything else. Then my mind would switch. I would be all into, say, punk, and hate everything else, including rap. This would go around and round (not just with rap and punk of course, but with many types of music) until finally Ruda had to face me about it and I realized what was going on. All is well now; I'm very settled and content with my music, and the insanity is over.

So that's my story, and to answer the question here, I would have to say the first album that really got me thinking outside the box was Buckethead's Colma. Not crazy-out-there by any means, but it was the start of things to come.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 11:07 AM   #18
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
probably surfer rosa, daydream nation.. heard them both the same day... and after that probably isnt anything.
Old 08.04.2008, 11:10 AM   #19
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
First one to point me in the right direction:

This one too.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2008, 11:31 AM   #20
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
nirvana - nevermind, back in 1991 aged 12
also either, de la soul's 3ft high and rising, or public enemy back in 1989, i can't remember which i heard first.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth