Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Bad Moon Rising - the awful DGC CD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
So, I've always hated the DGC reissue of this album -- I "grew up" with the Blast First CD, which I bought about 6 months before the DGC reissue came out, and when I borrowed a friend's copy of the DGC version years later, I was astounded to find that all of the tracks were split in the wrong places. The end of "Ghost Bitch" was the beginning of the "I'm Insane" track, and I think the spoken word intro to "Justice is Might" was left on the "I'm Insane" track too? I don't actually have a copy to check anymore, but they fucked it up...and whether it was a conscious decision or just an error on behalf of somebody who didn't realize where the track markers fell on the original vinyl (which is replicated properly on the Blast First CD, as far as I can tell), I'm not sure, but I can't see why they would have wanted it that way. Ultimately it's not a huge deal as it's meant to be listened to as a whole, but that's not what this thread is about...

I've had another issue with the DGC CD brought to my attention, which dare I say is even worse... I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed? I got an e-mail from somebody who was horrified with the CD pressing of the album because of some flutter on the vocals that was not on the vinyl pressing he was very familiar with after years of listening. I listened to my copy (Blast First) and couldn't figure out what he was talking about, so he suggested I listen to "Death Valley" off of "Screaming Fields of Sonic Love", and it became all too apparent... some kind of awful flutter on any extended syllable (check out Lydia's "and now in the canyon way out in the yonder..." or pretty much any of her vocals on this track). Very bizarre, totally unnatural vibrato that is not there on my Blast First CD. I downloaded an mp3 of the DGC version of "I Love Her All The Time" as it features many drawn out syllables too, and it's plain as day there too... ("I dooOoOOoOoOn't understaaAAand... a woOoOOOoOoOoOOrd she says")

Unfortunately, since it's present on 'Screaming Fields' and, apparently, the iTunes downloads of this album, I guess this mastering has become the most commonly available digital version of the album. I don't know what happened to cause this, but I'm curious if anybody's ever noticed (apologies if there have been threads in the past!) and if anyone can offer an explanation.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 04:52 AM   #2
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I've always had the DGC version so I don't know, never even seen a vinyl copy.
Old 12.08.2009, 07:11 AM   #3
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
^ me too, bought it last month, finally.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:07 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Same.

I got teh DGC.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 03:51 PM   #5
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm...maybe that's why I didn't like BMR so much. I don't really feel like spending the huge dough on a Blast First copy to find out, though.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BMR is tits. Love the fucking thing. The DGC CD is suck shit.
I have a blast first cassette and it sounds better than the DGC bullshit.

I got the vinyl and I love it sooooo
Old 12.08.2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
an album that's meant to be listened to on vinyl or tape.
Old 12.08.2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
always preferred the blast first Daydream. never had the old Bad moon though
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 05:15 PM   #9
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe it was just that bad DGC vibe that caused it.

Since they recently remastered DV69 I could imagine another remaster is due soon.
Old 12.08.2009, 05:27 PM   #10
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
So, I've always hated the DGC reissue of this album -- I "grew up" with the Blast First CD, which I bought about 6 months before the DGC reissue came out, and when I borrowed a friend's copy of the DGC version years later, I was astounded to find that all of the tracks were split in the wrong places. The end of "Ghost Bitch" was the beginning of the "I'm Insane" track, and I think the spoken word intro to "Justice is Might" was left on the "I'm Insane" track too? I don't actually have a copy to check anymore, but they fucked it up...and whether it was a conscious decision or just an error on behalf of somebody who didn't realize where the track markers fell on the original vinyl (which is replicated properly on the Blast First CD, as far as I can tell), I'm not sure, but I can't see why they would have wanted it that way. Ultimately it's not a huge deal as it's meant to be listened to as a whole, but that's not what this thread is about...

I've had another issue with the DGC CD brought to my attention, which dare I say is even worse... I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed? I got an e-mail from somebody who was horrified with the CD pressing of the album because of some flutter on the vocals that was not on the vinyl pressing he was very familiar with after years of listening. I listened to my copy (Blast First) and couldn't figure out what he was talking about, so he suggested I listen to "Death Valley" off of "Screaming Fields of Sonic Love", and it became all too apparent... some kind of awful flutter on any extended syllable (check out Lydia's "and now in the canyon way out in the yonder..." or pretty much any of her vocals on this track). Very bizarre, totally unnatural vibrato that is not there on my Blast First CD. I downloaded an mp3 of the DGC version of "I Love Her All The Time" as it features many drawn out syllables too, and it's plain as day there too... ("I dooOoOOoOoOn't understaaAAand... a woOoOOOoOoOoOOrd she says")

Unfortunately, since it's present on 'Screaming Fields' and, apparently, the iTunes downloads of this album, I guess this mastering has become the most commonly available digital version of the album. I don't know what happened to cause this, but I'm curious if anybody's ever noticed (apologies if there have been threads in the past!) and if anyone can offer an explanation.

if the dgc remasters were done from the original master tapes as far as the flutter goes, that can be caused by many things, could have been dirty heads on the reel to reel machine, lazy mastering engineer not cleaning them... etc etc
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Well, we all know the DGC Daydream was awful too. I agree that Bad Moon just begs to be heard on vinyl, it sounds like sheer terror burning thru the speakers. I'm just astounded by such a bizarre error that effectively renders one pressing of the album unlistenable, and curious if anyone could identify exactly what happened...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12.08.2009, 05:35 PM   #12
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
what do you mean namely Chris?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
how tracks are edited together on an album is everything, it's just not an album that's really suited to CD because it's kind of one long song/noise suite. on vinyl it's easy to have several tracks run together seamlessly but when they chop shit up, compress it and put it on a CD it doesn't really have the same effect.

vinyl rules ok?
Old 12.08.2009, 06:39 PM   #14
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Now I want to hear all of them in either their original forms or better re-masters. I feel cheated.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 07:43 PM   #15
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Now I want to hear all of them in either their original forms or better re-masters. I feel cheated.

agreed!
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 09:16 PM   #16
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
DGC reissue is all I have for all that stuff.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 11:00 PM   #17
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
All of the DGC reissues were of lesser quality. Some VERY noticeable and others not so much. I've always told anybody interested in Bad Moon Rising within 2 feet of me to go for the Blast First version. UNBELIEVABLY better. Much wider and warmer without a doubt!

I bought the Enigma Daydream Nation day of release and since have heard the DGC, Blast First and even the Japanese SHM version which came out over the summer. I still go back to the Enigma all the time.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 11:46 PM   #18
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
the only way to solve this debacle is to do a blind listening test.

It is possible that when a band completes and album, they have one mix that has to meet a deadline. They re-think the situation and run in at the last minute and re-mix something and the original pressing gets sent to a plant in japan or aus.

Since SY did so much in a econo manner at the beginning, I am sure they didn't have the luxury to consider many of these things. It is sort of in the spirit of the band as well.
Old 12.09.2009, 12:03 AM   #19
Chris Lawrence

I'll post 'blind' wav files of DV69 a little later tonight.
Old 12.09.2009, 12:16 AM   #20
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
"grew up" with the Homestead vinyl, but had the Blast First cd for years. not a bad translation, but the extra stuff is extra stuff, not Bad Moon. as much as I love the Halloween 12", it's still something different from the perfect composition of Bad Moon as a whole.

Never heard the DGC, but that does sound awful Chris.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth