Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page guitar pick-up question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
its something i just noticed but when you strum the strings letting them ring while picking other strings it gets muddy. It may be my guitar, I dont know.

but my question is if you took the pickups and turned then 90 degrees so they ran down the body aligned with the neck and put two pickups side by side like this would it sound better?

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 09:27 PM   #2
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I really dont know alot about guitar tech stuff but heres a shot...

First off do you see how on your pickups there are little round circles (6 of them) under each string. These are magnets and they are put their to receive the strings vibrations and amplify them. Now if you ran the pickups sideways you would essentialy have 6 magnets attracting the D and G strings making them very amplified and the rest of the strings being of alot less volume (the E strings being of least volume) So it probably wouldnt be a good idea. Plus you would have to drill holes to fit them and even then so they might not fit between the bridge and neck depending on how many pickups and the size of the body...
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
interesting...that would be a good idea to try

i think it's weird.

muddy sound can be a lot of stuff, not just pickups. like intonation problems or amp malfunctioning
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i see what you mean sleep33.
Id like to make my own guitar and fuck around with it. See if I can work something out.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 05:30 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
buy a cheap guitar and try it... but i would say you would need three dual humbuckers to cover all the strings sufficiently.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth