Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page adam curtis - bitter lake
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
has been released on bbc iplayer or for you americants - http://putlocker.is/watch-adam-curti...putlocker.html

prob the best documentary of the year? decade even?

basically an interlinking story that starts with roosevelt and ends in the present day. its about the west and the middle easts relationship - interlinking the downfall of communism - the birth of reagan/thatcherism - the financial crash and the mess of the iraq/afghanistan war. one of the darkest and best films i have ever seen - flatters noone and is so honest about our current political situation its not surprising it was released only on the web and not actually broadcast on uk tv
Old 05.10.2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
the whole thing is great - he ends it by calling for a new political metanarrative that would "make sense" in a very typical pomo move but before that you get raw unadulterated chaos interspersed with real history.

there are two moments when different afghan women say the same thing that is just unbelievable. you will know it when you see it. my beloved communism died in that fucking fundie desert graveyard and now my beloved liberal democracy too.

it is revealed that we all "believe in nothing" and then we get footage of an english teacher explaining the "revolution" in the art world caused by duchamps urinal to afghani girls. then more boom boom. relax fallujah hell has come
Old 05.10.2015, 07:27 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
uffff... thanks for uploading... i'll wait till i can watch in some legitimate/legal way though

if the documentary is as good as you say then i feel i owe the maker something

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

not really dude since it was put on the bbc iplayer for free. hes not poor and i dont think there will be a paid release.

this one you should have for free
Old 05.10.2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

btw i legitimately dont believe in paying for digital media at all and do not support paying for things that can be distributed freely online
Old 05.10.2015, 07:35 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
bbc is funded by your tv tax.

it's the whole piracy model-- it hurts media makers *especially* the little guy-- so instead of making movies you have to sell tshirts and shit like that.

i'm not crying for famous actors and star directors btw-- film is an industry-- lots of working class folk depend on it. i know people who worked on breaking bad and they're very far from "rich".

anyway thanks again for the recommendation. i'll bookmark it & look around.
Old 05.10.2015, 08:20 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

PS - okay looks like we have the blessing of the makers and the complicity of errol morris

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...k/remixing-bbc

http://boingboing.net/2015/03/19/how...ilm-bitte.html

fuckit, let's watch this.

THANK YOU.
Old 05.10.2015, 08:46 PM   #8
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

i keep rewatching the section on the soviets - there is footage of a russian soldier on a train going mad - i cant imagine it was a film or tv show cos the censors wouldnt allow it? but it also doesnt look entirely spontaenous like docu or news footage - too many camera angles - its like a communist version of combat shock!

also this whole thing is just terribly depressing because the same forces of religious fundamentalism and anti modernism are in power in my homeland and it is shameful to see parallels between us and the afghans.

and there is something so goddamn awfully tragic on seeing these aborted modernities and post enlightenment ideals backed by states that are extremely powerful and can impose them on the world - and then seeing it defeated.

this film ends gesturing towards tim mortons concept of hyperobject altho prob doesnt know it.
Old 05.11.2015, 09:33 AM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

haven't seen it yet. but since i'm injured i should have time soon.
Old 05.11.2015, 01:22 PM   #10
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Love, love, love Adam Curtis' films and Bitter Lake is no different. There's a hell of a lot to take in though. So 2 viewings is a must.

If you haven't seen any of his others, check out Century Of Self next.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2015, 01:44 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

had not even heard of the guy before yesterday. if i did it totally forgot it.

netflix only carries "the power of nightmares" which is 3 discs about "nucular terrists". this is the synopsis:

The Power of Nightmares
2004 NR 180 mins

Our best guess for you: 4.8 stars

Given the impact of 9/11 and with media sensationalism at an all-time high, this three-part documentary explores the use of fear for political gain. The first, "Baby It's Cold Outside," examines historical aspects of international threats. "The Phantom Victory" looks at how two disparate groups, radical Islamists and neo-conservatives, apply similar tactics. And "The Shadows in the Cave" begs the question, "Is organized terrorism an illusion?"

--

obviously i have them queued up now. gotta investigate the rest. triple thanks.
Old 05.11.2015, 02:37 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

and just fresh from the press-- everything about the killing of osama was a lie:

The Killing of Osama bin Laden
Seymour M. Hersh

It’s been four years since a group of US Navy Seals assassinated Osama bin Laden in a night raid on a high-walled compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. The killing was the high point of Obama’s first term, and a major factor in his re-election. The White House still maintains that the mission was an all-American affair, and that the senior generals of Pakistan’s army and Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI) were not told of the raid in advance. This is false, as are many other elements of the Obama administration’s account. The White House’s story might have been written by Lewis Carroll: would bin Laden, target of a massive international manhunt, really decide that a resort town forty miles from Islamabad would be the safest place to live and command al-Qaida’s operations? He was hiding in the open. So America said.

The most blatant lie was that... http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n10/seymour...sama-bin-laden

==

this really belongs in this thread doesn't it?
Old 05.11.2015, 05:16 PM   #13
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Seymour M. Hersh

He's the prick who wouldn't leave poor Kissinger alone. Now we see why. He loves terrorism.

Downloading BITTER LAKE now, very illegally. I'll probably smoke pot later, too.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2015, 06:13 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth