Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2012, 12:16 PM   #1341
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
To those people who say English league football isn't the greatest only need to look at today. Just incredible. Top to bottom of the league had something to play for today.

Was in a huuuggggeee pub that had both the city game and the utd game playing on seperate screens and by christ was it tense. One of the most amazing days of football ANDAND! Everton nailed Newcastle whilst L'pool lose. Great day.

Oh and Joey Barton...only half an hour before hand was I thinking how he seemed to have calmed down in recent days then he pulls them tricks out. God bless that loveable rogue.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 12:48 PM   #1342
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
unbelievable. I'm not a Man City fan but I desperately wanted them to finish above Man U. Over the season, Man City definitely deserve it.

Did you see Barton try to headbutt Kompany after his red card? What a pile of cunt that man is.

i actually saw tevez kinda-punch barton on the back before he got the revenge elbow to the face, so i *sort of* understand his reaction, though he's an idiot cuz he got a red card, but hitting agüero when the guy wasn't even looking at him was truly fucking low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
To those people who say English league football isn't the greatest only need to look at today.

rah rah rah! (?) yeah but do you watch other leagues though? dortmund beat bayern yesterday 5-2 and they played beautifully. fuckit, i love bayern but dortmund was fucking unstoppable. [btw fergie was watching the game @ stadium w/ the intent of buying kakawa for man u]

Quote:
God bless that loveable rogue.

i think the word you're looking for is "felon" (though that may be a 'merica-only word).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 01:15 PM   #1343
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Match of the day should be good tonight, can't wait to see the look on Ferguson's face. I'm happy with a 10th place finish, just hope we can get someone good to replace Hodgson.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 03:43 PM   #1344
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad_023
just hope we can get someone good to replace Hodgson.

I'd be surprised if Curbishley isn't on the shortlist. He'd be a pretty like-for-like replacement.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 05:09 PM   #1345
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'd be surprised if Curbishley isn't on the shortlist. He'd be a pretty like-for-like replacement.

Ranieri is favourite apparently, not quite sure how I feel about it. Curbishley would be a good appointment though.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 11:14 PM   #1346
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Curbishley is very 'safe' and will almost guarantee you mid-table (but no higher). Ranieri strikes me as capable of taking you further but with more of a risk of it all going wrong. But Curbishley's style of football is almost unwatchably dull. (At West Ham his nickname was 'Cautiously'.) He's Sam Allardyce minus the cuntishness.
Old 05.13.2012, 11:38 PM   #1347
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
that was quite the end of the season wasnt it. very tense and enjoyable that united didnt win it, not that i am a city fan by any stretch of the imagination. i hope that its always going to be as close as that so that its exciting, i dont like it when one team is already 10 points clear at the end.

barton, calm down son.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2012, 02:07 AM   #1348
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
rah rah rah! (?) yeah but do you watch other leagues though? dortmund beat bayern yesterday 5-2 and they played beautifully. fuckit, i love bayern but dortmund was fucking unstoppable. [btw fergie was watching the game @ stadium w/ the intent of buying kakawa for man u]

I've not seen every league but I've seen enough of a lot of them to say the Prem may not be the best in terms of football quality but I've still yet to find a more relentlessly intense and involving league. I can't compare it with the Bundesliga but I've seen enough of La Liga and Serie A and some of the S'th American leagues to say that, on the whole, I much prefer the Prem. It's a different kind of football. It's not the beautiful game but it's far more dramatic throughout the league. It's common that players and managers who come to the Prem from overseas end up commenting on how intense it is.

If you can, try and see next Saturday's Championship Playoff Final between West Ham and Blackpool. (And support West Ham, obviously) The all or nothing prize is promotion to the Premier League, and as such the final is often the most dramatic and tense one off game in the whole of the English football calender. It'll be on before the Champions League final and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't end up being the better game. It may not have much tactical sophistication or beautiful passes but for sheer frantic do or die epicness, it's hard to beat.
Old 05.14.2012, 01:34 PM   #1349
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've not seen every league but I've seen enough of a lot of them to say the Prem may not be the best in terms of football quality but I've still yet to find a more relentlessly intense and involving league. I can't compare it with the Bundesliga but I've seen enough of La Liga and Serie A and some of the S'th American leagues to say that, on the whole, I much prefer the Prem. It's a different kind of football. It's not the beautiful game but it's far more dramatic throughout the league. It's common that players and managers who come to the Prem from overseas end up commenting on how intense it is.

This.

And I'm hoping West Ham DESTROY Blackpool. The last thing the prem. league is Blackpool's shed spoiling things again.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2012, 01:52 PM   #1350
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
And I'm hoping West Ham DESTROY Blackpool. The last thing the prem. league is Blackpool's shed spoiling things again.

Yeah. The media and quite a lot of neutrals seem to want Blackpool to win, because of 'lovable' Ian Holloway.

I'm really nervous about it.
Old 05.14.2012, 02:20 PM   #1351
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
This whole season has been insane, the amount of amazing things has been almost perfectly balanced out by the number of colossally shit things. And thats just Balotelli.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2012, 01:52 PM   #1352
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, definitely the most event-packed Prem season I can remember. It;s hard to pick a favourite moment: Aguero's goal on Sunday; all things Balotelli; Chelsea v Barcelona; Torres' goal celebration in the second leg; The whole Capello/Redknapp/Hodgeson saga; King Kenny looking like he could lose his crown; the whole AVB thing. Plus some negatives: Gary Speed; Muamba (although luckily not entirely negative); Joey Barton (will be a positive if he never plays in England again); Blackburn fans threatening to kill Steve Keane's kids; the Suarez-Evra non-handshake; all things John Terry; shit referees; West Ham's non-involvement.
Old 05.15.2012, 03:48 PM   #1353
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
That moment was the reason I value sport.

Throughout the second half the City fans and Mancini were losing it, and i mean REALLY losing it. He was on his haunches with his head in his hands, they were crying and thrashing their replica jerseys on the seats of their PUBLICLY FUNDED stadium. They looked truly deranged, like a prehistoric tribe witnessing a solar eclipse for the first time, watching the end of the world and powerless to stop it.

And then...

There's been a dozen villains in football this season, and a good proportion of them were on the pitch on Sunday, but in the end it was the two most heroic Man City players who took centre stage. The ones you would be proud to have on your wall as a kid. The ones you would get two of in the Panini albums but still never swap: Kompany and Aguero.

How fitting was it that Joey "A quote for every occasion" Barton (ha ha ha me) got involved with Carlos "one comedy goal celebration that you borrowed off Craig Bellamy anyway" Tevez. I only wish the ref and everyone had just ignored them.

As it was, everyone did the customary thing; They gave Yaya Toure far too much praise, and gave Balotelli far too little. I still dont get why Mario is the villain to everyone, he set up the goal that won them the league!

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2012, 05:29 PM   #1354
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Absolutely agree about Aguero and especially Kompany (my player of the season and seems like a decent bloke, too). I don't think anything this season tops that game. Pure drama, even as a neutral. As you say, it's games like that which show just how epic football can be, to the point where I actually feel a bit sorry for people who don't like it. There's a lot to dislike about football but every now and then a game comes along, like the one on Sunday, or Chelsea's second leg against Barcelona where I defy anyone with a soul to watch it and not be drawn in.

Classic clip of Paul Merson commentating the final minutes
Some great fan reactions

Re Mario, I love him but can understand why some don't. He's entertaining as fuck but far too unpredictable to be relied on. I really hope they keep him but I couldn't really blame Mancini if they don't. I think Toure's a brilliant player. If anything I'd say he's generally underpraised. He's very unspectacular in the way he plays but I think he's even more vital to the city midfield than Silva.
Old 05.16.2012, 03:06 AM   #1355
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Silva's form dropped off toward the end of the season, which coincided with City's poor run.
But then Toure seemed to step up and become the spark. His performance against utd was immense
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2012, 10:19 AM   #1356
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, it looks like Mancini played Silva too much, but I think Toure, Aguero and Kompany were the two most vital city players for the season as a whole.
Old 05.16.2012, 10:30 AM   #1357
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Hodgeson names his Euro 2012 squad.

Terry going but no Ferdinand seems like the only really controversial decision. And even that's understandable, given Rio's ongoing injury problems. Carroll seems a bit odd, given his form for Liverpool, but maybe being freed from the Anfield pressure is what he needs. And I just hope Parker's fit in time.

EDIT: I just noticed, no Micah Richards. Now that is odd. Capello never rated him either, so maybe there's something about him that we don't know. But I can't understand how Glenn Johnson goes but Richards stays at home. Nobody's ever gonna convince me that Johnson's a better right back than Richards.
Old 05.16.2012, 03:25 PM   #1358
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
supprised at Downings inclusion, and at Micah Richards exclusion

and suprised at Defoe getting in over Sturridge

but most of all i'm supprised at how excited i am about the tournament. I knew i was excited but fuck me i'm excited

wall charts!!!!

sweep stakes!!!!

afternoons off work!!!!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2012, 04:35 PM   #1359
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
downing should not be there, he is just so predictable that you can see what he wants to do before he does.

i see kenny has had his last at liverpool. who next? maybe martinez but for gods sake why?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2012, 06:11 PM   #1360
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I like Martinez but I think he'd be a big risk at a club like Liverpool. At Wigan, the expectations are so low that simply staying in the Prem (which they only just managed) is considered a successful season. Martinez hasn't had to deal with the expectations of Champions League qualification and a decent title challenge, season after season, where every loss is a crisis and where every player brought in is expected to be world class. Plus he'll have a similar problem to the one that faced AVB at Chelsea: key players coming to the end of their career and another massively expensive flop in Carroll to deal with. Rightly or wrongly, just as Terry etc refused to take AVB seriously, I doubt if Gerrard or Carragher would be in favour of a young upstart manager like Martinez taking hold of 'their' Liverpool. It's a totally different situation to the Martinez has at Wigan, and until that old guard is finally eased out, I think they have to go for a more established and experienced manager to see them through the transition. They won't, though.
58656667 68 69707178118168568 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth