Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Getting new people in to Sonic Youth.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2012, 06:00 PM   #21
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
If accessibility is what you're after, make your friend the following mix:

1. Teen Age Riot
2. Hey Joni
3. Candle
4. Dirty Boots
5. Kool Thing
6. Disappearer
7. 100%
8. Sugar Kane
9. Purr
10. Superstar
11. Bull In The Heather
12. Starfield Road
13. Self-Obessed and Sexxee
14. Becuz
15. Unwind
16. The Diamond Sea [radio edit]
17. Sunday
18. The Empty Page
19. Disconnection Notice
20. Pattern Recognition
21. New Hampshire
22. I Love You Golden Blue
23. Reena
24. Incinerate
25. Jams Run Free
26. Sacred Trickster
27. What We Know
28. No Way

Whoah there's a ot of EJST&NS on that set list! I'm not sure that would be smart, unless this friend is like a huge Beck or Blonde Redhead fan, in which case.... I guess s/he would have already most likely heard sonic youth.
I would definitely cherry pick the ten most listenable songs and give them that. I wouldn't be able to keep myself from including "Kotton Krown", but that's probably not a deal-breaker.

What friend are you talking about anyway?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 06:34 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'd never show them this thread.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Whoah there's a ot of EJST&NS on that set list! I'm not sure that would be smart, unless this friend is like a huge Beck or Blonde Redhead fan, in which case.... I guess s/he would have already most likely heard sonic youth.
I would definitely cherry pick the ten most listenable songs and give them that. I wouldn't be able to keep myself from including "Kotton Krown", but that's probably not a deal-breaker.

What friend are you talking about anyway?

Yup, and you'll notice SY's two weakest albums - ATL and especially NYCG&F - are represented by only one song, "Sunday".
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 12:58 PM   #24
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Stick a drill in their temple.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 01:11 PM   #25
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
SY's music sounds like a bunch boring tuneless noi9se to most people(i guess). but what i fail to realize sometimes is that most people have no taste in good music. their fault(i win and they lose) but i don't worry about that shit no more.

i once had a korean girlfriend when i was 16( Cathy Mizio was her name, i think) and played her Sister not too long after i bought it. Needless to say, the look on her face was indescribable. i couldn't tell if she was disgusted or scared. the cheapo cd player with the busted speaker didn't help either.

i never tried to get anyone into Sonic Youth after that. i've fared well since.
hahaha good story.

i don't know why everyone always says new people should check out the less noisy stuff first.
i just tell them to go get DDN, like someone here said if they don't like it now they never will.

i recall hearing Teen Age Riot for the first time.. screwed me for life.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 09:05 AM   #26
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

i don't know why everyone always says new people should check out the less noisy stuff first.

That's true. I mean, 100% was a pretty hopping video backintheday, and while it does use some standard root changes, there's little but noise on top.

BTW, thank god for this thread. I thought I was the only one who has completely failed to turn others on.

I'm now at the point where if someone were to say, "They aren't my cup of tea at all, but I appriciate what they're trying to do," I'd consider that a resounding success.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 11:06 AM   #27
Pink Noise
empty page

Pink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'd make them sit and watch these videos:

1st Video, some fav songs comp from a fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yivxPCgMYqA
-Schizophrenia
-Drunken Butterfly
-Youth Against Facism
-Kool Thing
-Halloween
-100%
-Teenage Riot
-The Diamond Sea
-Tunic (Song For Karen)

2nd Video - the eternal promo montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gt265l6XYg

If they don't seem enthusiastic/attracted by the music and looks then I'd put 'Panty Lies' on loud+repeat and lock them inside the room until they drown and choke in their own vomit which will sure taste like shit just like their taste in music, anyway, they'll be used to the taste for sure, so I'd have to get in and hit them in the head with a open F sharp tuned jazzmaster until they bleed and die.
Pink Noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2012, 10:57 AM   #28
another
little trouble girl

another kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really try to sway people to listen to bands anymore. Ever try to explain to someone that you sincerely honestly like yoko ono? Good luck. If it was me I would just give them a copy of Sister and see what happens. The first few times I heard the youth, via daydream nation, I didn't really get it, and it took a while before it clicked.
another is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2012, 11:05 PM   #29
sakebomb
empty page

sakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's assessakebomb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
SY's music sounds like a bunch boring tuneless noi9se to most people(i guess). but what i fail to realize sometimes is that most people have no taste in good music. their fault(i win and they lose) but i don't worry about that shit no more.

i once had a korean girlfriend when i was 16( Cathy Mizio was her name, i think) and played her Sister not too long after i bought it. Needless to say, the look on her face was indescribable. i couldn't tell if she was disgusted or scared. the cheapo cd player with the busted speaker didn't help either.

i never tried to get anyone into Sonic Youth after that. i've fared well since.

EDIT: i could never come up with a SY mixtape. where do i start?!?!?!

You are hiding your own identity why don't you do the same for other people. Why do you have to throw someone's name out there like that for everyone to see!
sakebomb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2012, 01:55 AM   #30
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
its hard to find people patient enough to like sy. i've tried a few times and i always meet people who are completely enthusiastic about them but then later admit they've only heard "a few songs". if SY weren't in guitar hero and rockband, they wouldn't have heard those songs
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2012, 08:50 AM   #31
catl
empty page

catl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard suckacatl cold hard sucka
you've an amazing weblog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?
catl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2012, 06:50 PM   #32
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I never bothered to make this attempt, but I appreciate the suggestions. SY has to be discovered, not forced down throats. I think my best bet is to put it on in the background, and if someone notices, I will consider it a success.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2012, 03:29 AM   #33
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ lies, I've managed to jam it down two of my friends' throats. and it worked all right.
Old 05.31.2012, 11:15 AM   #34
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ lies, I've managed to jam it down two of my friends' throats. and it worked all right.

Yeah, so have I. But "worked all right" in these cases just means they now have a copy of Murray Street, and listen to it once every other year or so. I'd like to actually turn someone into a fan. I've only managed to do so once. It was in '02 and I played Source Tags and Codes (a new and somewhay exciting album at the time) for my roomate during a road trip. He liked it and said it was exactly the kind of music he was looking for. So I said, "man, if you're into this you should listen to Sonic Youth's late '80s albums." He was playing everything from Sister through Dirty basically on loop for the rest of the year. So much, in fact, that to this day I can't hear "Sugar Kane" without seeing images of his pomaded fauxhawk bouncing up and down in my minds eye.

That was my one real success, and because the guy was kind of a pretentious ass, I consider it something of a failure as well.
Old 05.31.2012, 11:27 AM   #35
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Ahh...sounds like you may have created a monster. You're a real Dr. Frankenstein. Yeah both of my friends do like 'em a lot...and I've managed to bring out with me to see 'em in STL and NYC. But yeah...

Oh and now I'm reminded of another story. So after a night out, my friends and I decided to get some Mexican food(Nothin is better after drinking). BUt yeh....for some reason the group behind decided to start singing....WTF. I start talking loudly and tell them to shut up. But yeah...two doods are like UGhgrdac gra. What do you prefer...I said "nothing, just don't sing"
but yeah...Sonic YOuth eventually left my mouth. and yeh. they suggested a band, and I remembered for like a day, but yeh.
Old 05.31.2012, 07:52 PM   #36
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Ahh...sounds like you may have created a monster. You're a real Dr. Frankenstein.

You have no idea. I won't bore you with the story, but suffice it to say this "monster" actually embarrassed me in front of Thurston Moore with his histrionic fanboy bullshit. I couldn't listen to the band's '88-92 output for a while because it made me think of him. Seriously.

I did have a great winter storm acid trip with him once though. Teenage riot played on repeat for hours while we rolled cigarettes and waxed philosophical like baby Ginsbergs while the wind threatened to blow in the windows. SoI our time together was not a complete waste.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth