Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - the reissue
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2009, 05:52 PM   #1
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
From spiritualized.com:

Quote:
Ladies & Gentlemen re-issue

The re-issue is now scheduled for the second half of November, exact release date is tbc. The artwork has changed, some of the packaging is similar to the original release.

There will be 3 formats released:

Ltd Collectors Edition - 12 disc pill pack + 2 additional cd's of previously unreleased material in new artwork.

Deluxe pack - 3 cd's in one blister pill pack. The original album plus the 2 additional cd's of unreleased material.

Standard jewel case of the original album in new artwork. The old design will no longer be manufactured.

Additional cd track listings information to follow. Pack shots of new design available nearer release date.

That's all for now...
Let's see if I get this straight: the first format includes FOURTEEN CDs?!

Already assuming such a megatonic item's price will be beyond my abilities to scam Wall Street investors, alternative #2 sounds pretty awesome, especially considering I've been wanting a LAGWAFIS pill pack since the first one went outta print.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2009, 06:02 PM   #2
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
I love this album but don't know if I'm gonna buy this one... We'll see.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2009, 06:22 PM   #3
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
any word on if there will be a vinyl reissue?
Old 08.31.2009, 02:19 AM   #4
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
any word on if there will be a vinyl reissue?
Doesn't look like it, but then again the info is rather sketchy so far. You know how these things go: sometimes a smaller label linked to the artist releases vinyl versions and/or side projects. As a matter of fact, a certain New York band proceeds in such fashion constantly. Their name escapes me at the moment...

Anyway, my intrepid reporting skills clearly abandoned me right before I started this thread; evidently, the 12 disc pill pack isn't some insane idea they came up with for the reissue, but an insane idea they already tried circa 1997, when they released "each of the 12 songs in its own individually-wrapped 3-inch CD, inside a large blister pack and box":

What I'd really like to know is whether somewhere on those two additional discs we'll be fortunate enough to find the original version of the opening song - the one with the proper "Can't Help Falling in Love" bit. Most likely not, because Heaven forbid one should associate Elvis with drugs! Unthinkable! This, of course, being the kind of move which propels eBay sellers to charge you 95 bucks for a copy of the advance promo. Ah well, at least I'm sure John Prine is still cool with the references to "Sam Stone" on "Cop Shoot Cop" (if you haven't heard Prine's tune, check out some great Dime torrents like this pre-FM from 1970 or this BBC in Concert from 1971).

One more thing about this gorgeous album (and I realize this unfortunately dabbles in yellow tabloid paraphernalia): I don't care how much of a junkie prick Jason Pierce could be back then, you don't replace him with that wretched pathetic hack from the FUCKING VERVE. I mean, you just don't, man...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 08.31.2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i've got one of the original 1 CD blister packs, it's annoying because the cardboard is very flimsy (it's the same type of cardstock that real blister packs are made of) that after owning the CD for a few months the box was pretty much in tatters.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 05:25 AM   #6
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
...after owning the CD for a few months the box was pretty much in tatters.

It's in tatters!
It's a shattered
Uh-huh, ooh-shadoobie, shattered, shattered...

Old 08.31.2009, 06:29 AM   #7
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Doesn't look like it, but then again the info is rather sketchy so far. You know how these things go: sometimes a smaller label linked to the artist releases vinyl versions and/or side projects. As a matter of fact, a certain New York band proceeds in such fashion constantly. Their name escapes me at the moment...

Anyway, my intrepid reporting skills clearly abandoned me right before I started this thread; evidently, the 12 disc pill pack isn't some insane idea they came up with for the reissue, but an insane idea they already tried circa 1997, when they released "each of the 12 songs in its own individually-wrapped 3-inch CD, inside a large blister pack and box":

What I'd really like to know is whether somewhere on those two additional discs we'll be fortunate enough to find the original version of the opening song - the one with the proper "Can't Help Falling in Love" bit. Most likely not, because Heaven forbid one should associate Elvis with drugs! Unthinkable! This, of course, being the kind of move which propels eBay sellers to charge you 95 bucks for a copy of the advance promo. Ah well, at least I'm sure John Prine is still cool with the references to "Sam Stone" on "Cop Shoot Cop" (if you haven't heard Prine's tune, check out some great Dime torrents like this pre-FM from 1970 or this BBC in Concert from 1971).

One more thing about this gorgeous album (and I realize this unfortunately dabbles in yellow tabloid paraphernalia): I don't care how much of a junkie prick Jason Pierce could be back then, you don't replace him with that wretched pathetic hack from the FUCKING VERVE. I mean, you just don't, man...

I nearly bought the 12 cds box back then. Thankfully I went for the normal version in the end, which is a pain because the whole box has to be kept together by elastic bands. I think there was a normal case version of the cd too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Pierce's thing for thought-out package design is probably more interesting than his music.
There's a great article about this in some issue of creative review (probably on their website too).
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have the original vinyl, and have wanted a reissue forever.
There is a weird pressing problem, especially during "Cop Shoot Cop."
The needle skates, and there are weird noises as well.
I had Jason sign it at an in-store on that tour, and he seemed aware of the problem. When I handed it to him, he asked me "Does this play properly?"
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 03:32 PM   #10
barry swedgin
bad moon rising

barry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's asses
I love this album. It soothes and rocks all at once. The liner notes are legendary.
Old 09.16.2009, 05:09 PM   #11
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From spiritualized.com:

Quote:
Sep 15th
Ladies And Gentleman press release

‘LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE’

Release Date: November 16

Label: Sony Music

“This album is so precise and everything on it sounds amazing; it's arranged so nicely. Jason Pierce is a genius”
Ben Goldwasser, MGMT

“I had a job cleaning a private golf course from 4am to 6am. My boss was a fucking idiot.
What got me through that job was listening to [Ladies and Gentlemen]”
Guy Garvey, Elbow

Spiritualized will re-issue their classic album ‘Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space’ on Monday 16th November on Sony Music.

The album release co-incides with the upcoming live performances of the entire album; part of All Tomorrow’s Parties ‘Don’t Look Back’ series, as previously announced. The band were approached two years ago to perform the album live on its 10th anniversary. It took a while for J.Spaceman to finally agree to the idea. ‘It was a decision made at altitude’ he says referring to being on top of Mt. Buller in Australia at the time. The live performances will see the regular band augmented with strings, brass and choir.

It is now 12 years since ‘Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space’ made a profound impact in the summer of 1997, both critically and commercially, with its psychedelic soundscapes and heart-rending lyrics. It has influenced a whole range of musicians ever since. It was NME’s album of the year for 1997 and reached No.4 in the official charts. Originally packaged as a giant pill offering a written prescription, the concept was creatively inspired reflecting the depth of emotion and trauma laid bare on this truly remarkable work.

The album will be released with new artwork on special limited edition formats with bonus content. These bonus tracks were in storage and subsequently forgotten about until Jason Pierce moved house and discovered the ‘lost’ recordings from 12 years ago. The tracks give a valuable insight into the artist’s work-in-progress – demos, instrumental versions, sessions mixes – and highlight an aim for perfection prior to recording the definitive version.

The formats include:

The Collector’s Edition. This will include 12 x 3” Mini CD’s of the complete full album track-by-track, an homage to the original release. This will be accompanied by 2 bonus discs (as per tracklisting below). Only 1,000 of these sets will be made, making these extremely limited.

The Special Edition will include the original album in the legendary and unique pill pack style packaging, alongside the 2 bonus discs. This Special Edition will also will be a limited, one-off release.

The original album with new artwork and a revised version of opening track ‘Ladies & Gentlemen’ (now including “Can’t Help Falling In Love” as originally intended for this album), will also be released as a Standard 1CD Version.

Track Listing is as follows:

Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
1. Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
2. Come Together
3. I Think I’m in Love
4. All of My Thoughts
5. Stay With Me
6. Electricity
7. Home of the Brave
8. The Individual
9. Broken Heart
10. No God Only Religion
11. Cool Waves
12. Cop Shoot Cop

Bonus CD 1
1. Ladies And Gentlemen (A Cappella)
2. Ladies And Gentlemen (Demo)
3. Ladies And Gentlemen (Strings)
4. Ladies And Gentlemen (Kate Telephone Call)
5. Ladies And Gentlemen (Moles Studio Mix 7)
6. Ladies And Gentlemen (Original Oratone Ideas)
7. Ladies And Gentlemen (A Cappella w/ Lead Vocal)
8. Come Together (Instrumental Demo)
9. Come Together (Demo In Lower Key)
10. I Think I'm In Love (Original Demo Idea)
11. I Think I'm In Love (Demo)
12. I Think I'm In Love (Drums/Wah)
13. I Think I'm In Love (A Cappella)
14. I Think I'm In Love (Vocal Demo Jan 96)
15. I Think I'm In Love (Gospel Choir Session)
16. All Of My Thoughts (Demo)
17. All Of My Thoughts (Strings)
18. Rocket Shaped Song

Bonus CD 2
1. Electricity (Demo)
2. Electricity (January 96)
3. Electricity (June 96)
4. Home Of The Brave (Demo)
5. Home Of The Brave (Panned Vocal)
6. Beautiful Happiness
7. Broken Heart (Demo)
8. Broken Heart (Strings)
9. Broken Heart (Vocal Harmony/Angel Corpus Christi)
10. Broken Heart (Early Vocal)
11. No God Only Religion (Demo)
12. No God Only Religion (Horns)
13. Cool Waves (Demo)
14. Cool Waves (String Session Mix)
15. Cop Shoot Cop (Demo)
16. Cop Shoot Cop (Dr. John 'The National Anthem)
17. Cop Shoot Cop (String Session Mix)

Spiritualized are set to perform the album in its entirety at the following venues:

12 / 13 October
Royal Festival Hall – London
SOLD OUT

14 December
Apollo – Manchester
£25 + booking fee via 0844 4777677 / giggsandtours.com

16 / 17 December
Barbican – London
£32.50 + booking fee via www.barbican.org.uk

19 December
Sage Centre - Gateshead
£32.50 + booking fee via www.tickets.thesagegateshead.org

So, 1,000 copies of the Collector's Edition. God-DAMMIT. Better rob a drugstore soon to get the dough ready for pre-order time.

[EDIT: Wow, the "Can't Help Falling in Love" version! GOLDEN.]

Old 09.16.2009, 10:34 PM   #12
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Ugh if it's only on CD I'll just download it. I don't have room for CDs anymore.
Old 09.16.2009, 11:15 PM   #13
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 01:10 AM   #14
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

Hope that wasn't to me! I really just don't have CD room anymore. They take up way too much space/cost too much money considering I only rip them and put 'em on my iPod. Vinyl's what I actually listen to at home.
Old 09.17.2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
fucking tecno shits

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 05:50 AM   #16
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hope that wasn't to me! I really just don't have CD room anymore. They take up way too much space/cost too much money considering I only rip them and put 'em on my iPod. Vinyl's what I actually listen to at home.
no, i was actually in agreement. there NEEDS to be an LP edition of this.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 05:55 AM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I've been meaning to mention that this is one of those records that I never actually remember to listen to. The problem with top ten type lists is that there's no chance I'd forget something like ATR, but something like this would definitely get neglected. It doesn't stand out and say, "Glice, I am one of your top ten". But it is. Oh, yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 09:41 AM   #18
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ugh if it's only on CD I'll just download it. I don't have room for CDs anymore.
Same here.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth