Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement (the band) thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.22.2019, 02:04 PM   #1
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
talk about everything you know about them
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2019, 02:05 PM   #2
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
i just discovered them and only listened to crooked rain crooked rain and brighten the corners
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
i just discovered them and only listened to crooked rain crooked rain and brighten the corners

WoweeZowee - congratulations!

SYG has TWO pages of Pavement threads:......the oldest being one started by Golden Child in 2006.

Does anyone still have contact with Golden Child?

Best I can remember, Pavement was very mainstream to most of the hard core harsh noise he usually posted about.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
The two-page link above wasn’t working, believe it’s fixed now.

The Genteel Death thread is my favorite!

SYG was once full of people with opinions on music and this is why I resurrect old threads......to learn the young‘uns!!!

For the record, I don’t care for WoweeZowee......Slanted & Enchanted is my favorite! If looking to purchase Pavement CD’s, go for the double disc reissues with all the demos, alternate takes and live recordings.

Re comments in Genteel’s thread, I never understood the comparisons some made to, The Fall?
However, you should spend time listening to:

The Fall
The Dead C
The Melvins
Suicide
Old 11.23.2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The two-page link above wasn’t working, believe it’s fixed now.

The Genteel Death thread is my favorite!

SYG was once full of people with opinions on music and this is why I resurrect old threads......to learn the young‘uns!!!

For the record, I don’t care for WoweeZowee......Slanted & Enchanted is my favorite! If looking to purchase Pavement CD’s, go for the double disc reissues with all the demos, alternate takes and live recordings.

Re comments in Genteel’s thread, I never understood the comparisons some made to, The Fall?
However, you should spend time listening to:

The Fall
The Dead C
The Melvins
Suicide

Wait, you don’t understand comparing Pavement and The Fall?

W...

What? Really? Have you heard, like, Pavement or the Fall?

(Specifically early Pavement, but man — clear cut as fuck to me)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2019, 04:04 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Yes, I’ve heard them......poor choice of wording on my part.

I recall a time and discussions where people considered Pavement as nothing more than a -The Fall- rip-off. I didn’t understand it then, guess I still don’t hear it now?? I still don’t get those who compare Sonic Youth to Dinosaur Jr.???

Also, The Fall has such a vast history and catalogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, you don’t understand comparing Pavement and The Fall?

W...

What? Really? Have you heard, like, Pavement or the Fall?

(Specifically early Pavement, but man — clear cut as fuck to me)
Old 11.23.2019, 10:22 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Yes, I’ve heard them......poor choice of wording on my part.

I recall a time and discussions where people considered Pavement as nothing more than a -The Fall- rip-off. I didn’t understand it then, guess I still don’t hear it now?? I still don’t get those who compare Sonic Youth to Dinosaur Jr.???

Also, The Fall as such a vast history and catalogue.

Definitely not a ripoff but the influence, not just on the music, but on the overall aesthetic (talking early Fall here) is unmistakable.

I get Dino and Sonic Youth comparisons. Dino kind of tried some similar tactics in terms of integrating noise and melody only they used hardcore and classic rock as the lynchpins of their sound instead of noise, no-wave, post-punk, etc.

ALSO there are just very few bands that can be compared to SY at all, so that probably has something to do with it.

Personally I see Dino as more of an American roughneck take on the guitar squall of early J&MC and MBV, but whatever
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
talk about everything you know about them

A bit off topic but if you're getting into the 'Pavement sound' check out Pie. They're basically a hybrid of Pavement and Polvo from around the same period. I spruik them whenever I get the chance.

https://youtu.be/PMBBXINv5o8
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth