Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page (actual) world cup thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2010, 11:47 AM   #81
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i have, as i said elsewhere, continental loyalties, so i'm for brazil first, portugal second. i have other layers of loyalties beyond that, i.e., latin countries (in europe) over germanic ones (where i include the visigoth country, spain), and good teams (germany) over crap ones (australia). it's all very complicated and i can't explain it all in 1 paragraph.

That's interesting. Where do you stand with the US? I obviously support England but, like Germany, they're a difficult team for a neutral to get behind. They lack any real romance but you can't help where you're born. Needless to say, for two months every four years I'd love to be a Brazilian but for the other three years and ten months, I breath a sigh of relief that I'm not.

I suppose my 'second' teams are Holland and Argentina, while my 'pet hate' side is probably Italy. Just horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
this world cup sucks big time so far.

The first round is always like that. Everyone's too busy trying not to lose. The second round should see things open up a lot more. My only disappointment so far is that I've not seen enough from any of the underdog sides to makes me think we might be in for any kind of major cup upset.

Quote:
shit, i wake up to find out portugal went 0-0 against ivory coast? that doesn't sound promising at all...

You did well sleeping through it. Worst game of the tournament so far.

Slovakia really disappointed me earlier. They should've won but they seemed to want to just coast to the finish-line and were predictably tripped up just before they reached it by a far more up-for-it New Zealand.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 12:05 PM   #82
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That's interesting. Where do you stand with the US? I obviously support England but, like Germany, they're a difficult team for a neutral to get behind. They lack any real romance but you can't help where you're born. Needless to say, for two months every four years I'd love to be a Brazilian but for the other three years and ten months, I breath a sigh of relief that I'm not.

I suppose my 'second' teams are Holland and Argentina, while my 'pet hate' side is probably Italy. Just horrible.

oh, i want the US to win & go as far as they can, but i know they suck and i don't like their style of play (kick and run, kick and run: dullsville). that's the doing of coach bradders-- i liked them better when bruce arena was coach, even though his players were not as good as this new batch.

i like teams with good control of the ball, who make nice plays-- that's why i was in such awe of germany the other day. they are playing like argentina should, touching the ball to get around the defense, and strangely, they seem to have shirked their propensity for rough play. they really put on a good show.

many years ago, when i was a furrner, i witnessed the brazil-usa match in a bar full of gringos, and me and maybe another 5 people were cheering for brazil. we didn't get lynched, it was a very civilized thing, even after the US lost. but that was ages ago and now that i'm welcome here i have lots more affection for Team 'Merica. it's just not a national sport yet, though-- give it a few years.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 12:17 PM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I thought that Ivory Coast played lively, and it was a decent match. I enjoy them all.

Then again, I only watch futbol when it is the world cup and know nothing about the players.
Old 06.15.2010, 12:36 PM   #84
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I thought that Ivory Coast played lively, and it was a decent match. I enjoy them all.

Then again, I only watch futbol when it is the world cup and know nothing about the players.

although Portugal would've been favourites, Ivory Coast have some very ggod players indeed. Drogba alone would make it into any international squad. With Eriksson as their coach though, they're bound not to maximise their talents.

Ronaldo seemed like the only Portugese player even bothering. I still think that's just early-tournament caution (and they are in a group where any kind of slip could mean an early exit) but I'm surprised how ineffective they were. Still, atleast I managed to get a very welcome 10 points from Alvez and Tiago.
Old 06.15.2010, 12:40 PM   #85
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The early rounds are always a bit cautious, no?
How long ago did they institute this new first round? I read that in the older days of the Mundial the first round was a win or go home endeavor like the later rounds are now.

The excitement when Drogba entered the match was awesome. even injured he scares the competition.

I think teams just do not want to lose their first match. the better teams will attack much more in their upcoming matches.

Very exciting stuff for a sports fan such as myself!
Old 06.15.2010, 12:44 PM   #86
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I've been watching the 7.30pm kick-offs in the pub. I was disappointed that no Americans turned up to cheer on the USA on Saturday night. In fact I've been disappointed no other nationals have turned up to cheer their country on. I was hoping to meet some Italian chicks tonight. No such luck.

Why am I not surprised at the lack of other patrons
Old 06.15.2010, 12:53 PM   #87
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
The second half of Ivory Coast/Portugal was certainly cleaner and better football than the first. Best comment by the commentator talking about Ranaldo perchance for flopping "he'll go down at the slightest chance of contact, in fact a puff of wind."

What a shame for Slovakia they look like they could be a surprise team if they remember from now on to play until the final whistle. I'm sure they'll rebound and be heard from later on.

I feel for you _Slavo_
Old 06.15.2010, 01:00 PM   #88
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh, i want the US to win & go as far as they can, but i know they suck and i don't like their style of play (kick and run, kick and run: dullsville). that's the doing of coach bradders-- i liked them better when bruce arena was coach, even though his players were not as good as this new batch.

i like teams with good control of the ball, who make nice plays-- that's why i was in such awe of germany the other day. they are playing like argentina should, touching the ball to get around the defense, and strangely, they seem to have shirked their propensity for rough play. they really put on a good show.

Totally agree about the Bruce Arena era. He did have a fair crop of players that were always good to watch, but they never really looked like contenders. Bradley's team are 'better' but far less entertaining.

I love the passing game you're talking about, which is part of why i love Argentina. Their brilliance is that they don't just play pretty football (which is usually the case with 'flair' teams') but are utterly ruthless.

Brazil are the epitome of that but under Dunga they've become almost Italy-like - with an emphasis on almost. For brief spells, Brazil can just play any team off the park but most of the time they're just really well organised. I still think that 82 Brazil team are the closest football has come to producing art. I remember going to school after that World Cup and, even though Brazil never even won it, everyone wanted to be either Zico or Socrates. The last time I think that happened was with Maradona in 1990 (that's after I'd left school, though, so I can't confirm his playground currency).

Anyway, speaking of Brazil. They're about to start now, so ... laters.
Old 06.15.2010, 02:13 PM   #89
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
while my 'pet hate' side is probably Italy. Just horrible.

i hate italy too, i feel bad about it, since my hatred reached a fever pitch last world cup when they beat one my favorites,france, in the middle of an italian bar i said "fuck,i hate italy alot" and got quite a few dirty looks(i didn't do it on purpose, just the intense hatred took me over)

i feel the same way about england

if neither of those teams wins i'm happy
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 02:18 PM   #90
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

so far it seems that the N Koreans are into it defensively huh?
Old 06.15.2010, 02:21 PM   #91
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Brazil are the epitome of that but under Dunga they've become almost Italy-like - with an emphasis on almost. For brief spells, Brazil can just play any team off the park but most of the time they're just really well organised. I still think that 82 Brazil team are the closest football has come to producing art. I remember going to school after that World Cup and, even though Brazil never even won it, everyone wanted to be either Zico or Socrates. The last time I think that happened was with Maradona in 1990 (that's after I'd left school, though, so I can't confirm his playground currency).

Anyway, speaking of Brazil. They're about to start now, so ... laters.

the scrawny north koreans are giving their all and brazil is sucking in a major way. sure, they have to overcome 8 to 11 defenders, but their domination of the game is only superficial. that korean #9 is pretty good.

funny, this is a situation where individual ability could find a hole in that defense.

i'm not liking brazil.

so far the best south american team i've seen is paraguay. things can change as the tournament progresses of course, but brazil is almost making me want that north korea wins.

here's hoping brazil changes this useless scheme in the 2nd half.
Old 06.15.2010, 02:25 PM   #92
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6qMXi5n4I

remember guys, everyday is very important........
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 02:28 PM   #93
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
North Korea have been awsome
i think everyone likes to see beautiful 1 touch passing football but there's nothing i like more than seeing a good defensive peformance. So well organised, so determined, don't give a fuck about reputations and that guy up front is working harder than most of the brazil team. I can genuinly see them scoring on the counter.
Robinho looks very very good

i thought Potugal Ivory Coast was a good game too. Maybe i've got low standards being a Palace fan. 3 passes and a clean tackle is like ballet to me
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 02:46 PM   #94
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

fuck, I got up to take a dump and missed the gol!
Old 06.15.2010, 02:57 PM   #95
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fuck, I got up to take a dump and missed the gol!

Bought one of these for that very reason.

In red and white, obviously
Old 06.15.2010, 03:45 PM   #96
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha ha

drink your coffee beforehand

i had to leave for the last 15 minutes (appointment that couldn't be changed) and just found out the score. shame!!! good on north korea but dunga will be crucified by the press.

cheeto, telefutura has evening reruns of the games. make sure you're 100% empty before you catch that.
Old 06.15.2010, 03:56 PM   #97
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
crucified, why? they deserved that one.

also it's a well known fact that brazil is never impressive against teams they underestimate and/or initial stages of the world cup.

well known fact.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 04:04 PM   #98
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
crucified, why? they deserved that one.

also it's a well known fact that brazil is never impressive against teams they underestimate and/or initial stages of the world cup.

well known fact.

everybody was expecting 4-0. number of goals scored can make a difference when you're tied in points, so it was up to brazil to squeeze all the advantage possible from this game.

but maybe after seeing portugal fuck up with ivory coast they decided not to push it.

fyi, in 2006 brazil beat japan 4-1, in 2002 they beat china 4-0, and costa rica 5-2, chile 4-1 in 1998. but ok, it's the first round-- maybe they won't crucify him-- yet.
Old 06.15.2010, 04:06 PM   #99
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ps- in this poll in o globo, 20% consider the team's performance "mais out menos", 40% "ruim" and 25% "horrorosa"

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/cop...-916886397.asp

look down the bottom of the first paragraph where it sez "( Gostou da atuação do Brasil? Vote )"
Old 06.15.2010, 04:19 PM   #100
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
missed the whole game.

each group qualifies two teams, !"#$"$!#%.

duh, mr obvious, but if you place 1st you play an easy team (the 2nd of the adjacent group) in the next round. less nerves, less fatigue, less injuries, better chance to make it to quarterfinals in one piece. italy placed 1st in its group in 2006 thanks to goal difference. if brazil places 2nd for some reason, they'll likely face spain in the next round. (well let's see how spain plays).

plus, the embarrassment of placing 2nd for brazil!

"ruim" "horroroso"
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth