Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.30.2016, 05:07 PM   #7641
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
True BUT your insights explained why the Dolphins still have support there. I mean hey, the Dallas Cowboys haven't won shit in 25 years but they are still considered "America's Team" for their success in the 1990s, same with the San Francisco 49ers and their success in the 1980s.

Until the mid-2000s the Shitsberg Steelers were more or less still living on their successes from the 1970s!!

They do still have a big cult following. What that article seemed to be saying is that a large % of British NFL fans are stuck in the 80s, which is true.

The fanbase has expanded since then though, so obviously there are more fans into different teams but I'd still expect to see a helluva lot of 40-something Dolphins fans at a London NFL game, even if they aren't actually playing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 05:18 PM   #7642
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It always amazes me how much some of the best artistic moments in human experience are entirely impromptu or serendipitous! This scene is a CLASSIC, I always figured it was entirely scripted.

Quote:
To me the soul of rock'n'roll is mistakes. Mistakes and making mistakes work for you. In general, music that's flawless is usually uninspired. The people who go with the flow and go with the mistakes and turn that into something special are the ones that show guts — that's what we've always tried to do. The people who shy away from change and mistakes and play it safe have no business playing rock'n'roll. I never trust someone who thinks they know exactly what they want, and goes in the studio and gets it. That might be their art, but it's usually shitty rock'n'roll.
—Paul Westerberg, 1991

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 06:01 PM   #7643
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
On the Dolphins thing again, I did some more checking and they apparently have the 2nd biggest fanbase in the UK after the Patriots. Considering how successful the Patriots have been since the 80s compared with the Dolphins that's pretty remarkable. I don't know how popular they are in the US but I'd be amazed if they're anything like the 2nd most popular team there.

"Of NFLUK.com site users who have registered and selected their favorite team, 7.1 percent said that the Dolphins were the favorite team. Only the New England Patriots had more fans on the site with 9.5 percent."

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/he...ngland-6526446

Old 09.30.2016, 06:12 PM   #7644
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
On the Dolphins thing again, I did some more checking and they apparently have the 2nd biggest fanbase in the UK after the Patriots. Considering how successful the Patriots have been since the 80s compared with the Dolphins that's pretty remarkable. I don't know how popular they are in the US but I'd be amazed if they're anything like the 2nd most popular team there.

"Of NFLUK.com site users who have registered and selected their favorite team, 7.1 percent said that the Dolphins were the favorite team. Only the New England Patriots had more fans on the site with 9.5 percent."

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/he...ngland-6526446
Patriots have only been successful since the early 2000s..

as to Dolphins, even when Dan Marino was balling it up they have never been a nationally popular team. its largely because Marino never won a championship. Dolphins were like the Cleveland Browns, a very successful team that just could never get it done. Same was true of Denver Broncos until Elway finally won in late 90s. the national audience knew of these teams because of their failures not their success

really Lebron was the first guy to finally put Miami on the map as a national team, previously Miami teams had been successful and were known but actual fans across the country were more of a cult following unlike teams like Steelers, 9ers, Cowboys, or Raiders who are definitely teams with significant national fanbase and a certain sense of NFL heritage.

Today Dolphins of the past five or six years have been one of the laughing stock teams, a punchline rather than a team that punches back. Indeed most Americans actually think NFL sends Dolphins to London because they suck since a lot of the teams on London schedule sucked. i used to think that until you explained the Dolphins fanbase in UK

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 06:14 PM   #7645
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Miami sports in general are usually mediocre because of bad management and a generally shallow sports culture there.. The MLB Marlins are one of the worst teams in baseball.

Old 09.30.2016, 06:48 PM   #7646
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

Today Dolphins of the past five or six years have been one of the laughing stock teams, a punchline rather than a team that punches back. Indeed most Americans actually think NFL sends Dolphins to London because they suck since a lot of the teams on London schedule sucked. i used to think that until you explained the Dolphins fanbase in UK

I remember the laughing stock team when I 1st got into it (we're talking early-mid 80s) was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Those who knew a bit more about it and had been into it a bit longer seemed to like the 49ers and the Redskins but kids like me seemed to be equally split between the Dolphins and the (LA) Raiders. I remember some Bears fans emerging after their Superbowl win but me and my friends wrote them off as newbies (haha). I didn't notice any Patriots fans until much later.

I love remembering those times. My dad (a rugby fan) refused to have it on at our house so every week I'd go to my friend's to watch the highlights and beat up his little brother, who decided he liked the Jets.
Old 09.30.2016, 06:50 PM   #7647
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Miami sports in general are usually mediocre because of bad management and a generally shallow sports culture there.. The MLB Marlins are one of the worst teams in baseball.

I've heard the same thing about Beckham's ongoing attempt to create a MLS franchise there.
Old 09.30.2016, 07:33 PM   #7648
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I've heard the same thing about Beckham's ongoing attempt to create a MLS franchise there.

sounds about right.

Since American sports don't relegate losing teams out of the top leagues these teams have no incentive to win. even worse they can more or less make $ and survive as a kind of local showcase of the more successful teams that will come to town to play them. so Miami sports for example generally exist and make money by hosting games against otherwise marquee franchises.

these teams literally advertise "come and see (the other team) play"

Old 09.30.2016, 07:34 PM   #7649
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I disagree that Bayern lacked versatility under Pep. The times I saw them they often radically (and usually successfully) switched formation multiple times, often in a single game. Barca lacked versatility but no way Bayern. Indeed, if there was one real criticism of what he did in Germany, it was that he changed things up too much
they changed formations but used the same modality-- possession and short passes

but no, you're right, he brought in coman (fail) and costa (win) to open up the wings a bit. and had to depend on ribery and robben for winning. not sure if those hires were his or the board's though.

but under pep they were never able to win through physicality. maybe he had the tools available (xabi alonso, vidal) but never used them to overwhelm the opponent like heynckes did which is why atletico mowed them down like a bunch of porcelain dolls last year. whereas with heynckes they overpowered barcelona like they were gifted , but ultimately small, children.

that was an edge lost, i swear. the glory and danger of overspecialization. this is why apes took over beautiful beautifule felines at the top of the food chain-- less specialized, a lot more flexible.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 07:35 PM   #7650
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
By the by, you know how that scene came about? Spielberg and his team had planned the definitive the-whip-is-mightier-than-the-sword choreography, "the ultimate John Woo scene", as he put it. But the day of the shooting Harrison Ford showed up sick with the shits, and told 'em, "Look, it was something I ate, I only have a few minutes to shoot, then I gotta hurry back to the hotel". So one of the crew members nonchalantly said, "Uhhhh, well, why don't you just shoot the guy?" — and everybody fell on the floor laughing...

haaaaa haaaa yes. the genius of randomness. everyone was expecting that john woo shit and blam. dead on the floor laughing. his diarrhea face probably helped with the acting-- his face really was the funniest thing.
Old 10.01.2016, 07:37 AM   #7651
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
they changed formations but used the same modality-- possession and short passes

but no, you're right, he brought in coman (fail) and costa (win) to open up the wings a bit. and had to depend on ribery and robben for winning. not sure if those hires were his or the board's though.

but under pep they were never able to win through physicality. maybe he had the tools available (xabi alonso, vidal) but never used them to overwhelm the opponent like heynckes did which is why atletico mowed them down like a bunch of porcelain dolls last year. whereas with heynckes they overpowered barcelona like they were gifted , but ultimately small, children.

that was an edge lost, i swear. the glory and danger of overspecialization. this is why apes took over beautiful beautifule felines at the top of the food chain-- less specialized, a lot more flexible.

I take your point about them maybe becoming a bit less physical but, in terms of them going out to Atletico, they were hardly mowed down. They went out on an away goal and could've just as easily gone through. The margins at that level are usually far too fine to draw any absolute conclusions. If Heynckes's Bayern could somehow play Pep's Bayern ten times in a row, I imagine the honours would be about even. Beyond that it just comes down to the style of football we prefer to watch. I know lots of people find Pep's style frustrating just as many others love it. It certainly isn't perfect, but then no team or manager ever have been. Again, playing around with history, it'd be fascinating to see how Heynckes would've dealt with a defensive machine like Simeone's Atletico.
Old 10.01.2016, 11:30 AM   #7652
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

bayern-koln had a really fun 2nd half today and ended 1-1

dortmund game about to start!

so, a bit rushed: didn't meant mowed down in goals but physically mowed down every time they wanted to play. i remember complaining of ref calls and pep fielding his tiniest men. this is a year later though so i can't say objectively but i remember my frustration at bayern being overpowered.

chicharito praying on his knees haaa haaaa haaaa. whistle!
Old 10.06.2016, 02:52 PM   #7653
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

catching 2nd half of italy-spain, looks like i didn't miss much on the 1st?
--
oh man! buffon! what was that!
as the vikings had it, even the gods are mortal
Old 10.06.2016, 03:10 PM   #7654
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Ecuador vs Chile in 50 minutes.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.06.2016, 03:12 PM   #7655
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell-- in quito! chile is bound to suffer
Old 10.06.2016, 03:27 PM   #7656
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

what a penalty kick by de rossi!
Old 10.06.2016, 03:34 PM   #7657
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh hell-- in quito! chile is bound to suffer

No kidding. Last couple of games were a loss to a mediocre Paraguay in Asunción and a sad incapability to score in Santiago against Bolivia, the Faroe Islands of South América.

Old 10.06.2016, 03:36 PM   #7658
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
No kidding. Last couple of games were a loss to a mediocre Paraguay in Asunción and a sad incapability to score in Santiago against Bolivia, the Faroe Islands of South América.
no no. bolivia has la paz. the faroe islands are at sea level.
Old 10.06.2016, 03:42 PM   #7659
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
no no. bolivia has la paz. the faroe islands are at sea level.

OK, so Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, take your pick...

Old 10.06.2016, 03:48 PM   #7660
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
OK, so Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, take your pick...

there's no european capital that matches the altitude of la paz.

and that's the thing-- la paz is almost at 4,000 meters altitude.

bolivia is extremely hard to beat at home for that reason

quito is like 3,000-- a little easier, but still a bitch for those who aren't adapted to playing there
333373380381382 383 384385386393433483 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth