Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page geeky question for guitarists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.13.2010, 07:05 AM   #21
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
I remmeber watching a video of yngwie malmsteem doing exactly this.
will have a look if i find it

Maybe this? or this
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 07:14 AM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not going to lie - the first Yngwie clip excited me a lot. He's about as fashionable as Laudanum addictions, but no less brilliant for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I, like Glice also said, think the acoustic and electric guitar are two totally different animals. I don't own an acoustic, well I do but there aren't any strings on it right now and it needs a new nut after the last one split in half. But I don't get to play acoustic nearly as much as I get to play my electric. And when I do play acoustic it's on a friend's guitar and I have to play it upside down.

But certainly the moods evoked by either are alot different. Electric to me always seemed suited for exploring different types of sounds and the like. With the electric you can just mess with the distortion or all those levels and run it through some chorus and flange pedals or whatever if you want to come up with some wavy sound, or something like that. So you have all of those options on the table if you have some idea of a particular sound you want.

You can't really do that on an acoustic. You can't just decide to make it sound like a garbage compactor and then actually make it sound like one. So I think the things one thinks about in terms of what they want to do differ between the two. So in that regard when it comes to the acoustic one has to think more creatively about what they want to get out of the instrument because they don't have as much at their disposal. Kind of that making more out of less thing.

As well with acoustic (I think someone, maybe asp mentioned this already) it's not an instrument you can't um, be as much of an idiot on as you can on electric. With electric you usually have that gain and such to cover mistakes you make, not really the case with acoustic. The acoustic requires a heavier precision and delicacy.

I don't even describe the two with the same terms. I tend to identify acoustic playing with really indefinite words/phrases. Like this sounds like a bright sunny day, or this sounds like the inside of a buried coffin. Wheras with electric I'll think of the sounds like, well this sounds like a hunter getting mutilated by a grizzly bear, or a jackhammer, or the purr of a cat, just really concrete things.

Two really exciting instruments.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 04:28 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, "be an idiot on". I like that.

This reminds me... I still need to listen to KoRn unplugged. KoRn's idiotic, and downright ugly riffing translated to acoustic songs? I gotta hear that shit!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2010, 05:40 PM   #25
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha

As well with acoustic (I think someone, maybe asp mentioned this already) it's not an instrument you can't um, be as much of an idiot on as you can on electric. With electric you usually have that gain and such to cover mistakes you make, not really the case with acoustic. The acoustic requires a heavier precision and delicacy.

In general I'd agree with this, but it's not necessarily the case, as with my electro acoustic I tend to use like an electric smtimes and even run through guitar fx. I'm sure you can play SY songs just as effectively on acoustic, in fact I've seen it done on YT.
I prefer playing acoustic over electric, I like the resonance. smtimes when playing electric I'll play it unplugged with my ear against the solid body to listen to the internal resonance and then I think about contact mic'in it up, but never get round to it.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 02:11 AM   #26
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4IPNSL5HY

I'd love to play like Borland.

I'm really gonna give this guitar thing a shot tomorrow. I've got a cheap off-brand guitar now that just needs tuning, and I finally got my 120-Watt Line 6 Spider 3 amp back from my friend (I used to use it with a cheap mic in a lame noise project I once tried to get going). I'm not sure if I have one of those cables that connects the guitar to the amp or not. Hmmm.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 02:22 AM   #27
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
KoRn Unplugged is definitely something worth checking out. At it's peak you've got KoRn and Robert Smith blending In between Days with Make Me Bad. They even cover Creep! It's definitely a spectacle. Just catch that shit on youtube, brah.
Old 09.30.2010, 02:37 AM   #28
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
You figured me out you wear a mask.

Old 09.30.2010, 07:13 PM   #29
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Already broke my first string! Haha. I'm pretty sure I've got it set in standard tuning properly, but am struggling to down-tune it to drop c. I watched a couple Youtube videos, but am still confused.

Any suggestions for a complete guitar/music n00b? I really wanna play "Break Stuff".
Old 09.30.2010, 07:23 PM   #30
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Already broke my first string! Haha. I'm pretty sure I've got it set in standard tuning properly, but am struggling to down-tune it to drop c. I watched a couple Youtube videos, but am still confused.

Any suggestions for a complete guitar/music n00b? I really wanna play "Break Stuff".

buy a guitar tuner!
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 07:46 PM   #31
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Well, I sorta figured that much! ha I just thought maybe there'd be some sort of trick that would help me before I'm able to pick one up.

Thanks though.
Old 09.30.2010, 08:09 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Stringing the guitar: check from about 2:10 in this

When you're close to the tone you're tuning to, come from below the note, rather than going higher than the note then tuning down - it stays in tune longer and the string's stronger.

If you're really new to the guitar, don't bugger about with drop C - absolute fidelity to the pitch isn't really necessary if you're just fannying about in your bedroom. Plus, if you've got anything other than really thick strings, it'll sound like utter crap, because they'll rattle against the neck like nobody's business.

If you're breaking strings, try a thinner plectrum. To start with, your plectrum technique won't be great, so a thicker plectrum will really take it out on the strings. Hence breakage. Thinner plectrums are better for strumming as well, and to start with that's all you really need to do. If you're still breaking strings, try playing closer to the neck of the guitar - playing near the bridge is where the strings are most taut, so applying pressure there will both de-tune the strings and lead to them breaking.

Remember that everyone who works in a guitar shop is a cunt. But even so, if you're asking them questions, make sure you point out you're an absolute beginner. They'll try and baffle you with bullshit, but if you don't understand what they're talking about, just say so. They'll huff, but it's their job to deal with beginners, not to be treat people like idiots. I've been playing guitar for 13 years now, and I still haven't the slightest idea about the strange language guitar shop people speak. I have all my guitar bits delivered to me by a mate who works in a guitar shop because I actually can't tolerate being near guitar shop people.

Uh... that's probably quite a bit of information. PM me if you're after any more tips n' stuff.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.30.2010, 08:26 PM   #33
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well, I sorta figured that much! ha I just thought maybe there'd be some sort of trick that would help me before I'm able to pick one up.

Thanks though.

yeah... do you have a piano/keyboard? you could tune off of that.
or use this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzKCgwvv-vw

harder with alternate tunings but you can get in the ballpark.
Old 09.30.2010, 08:43 PM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php

Good for alternate tunings as well. ALTHOUGH tuning with aids is only a good idea initially, it's much better for your ear (and therefore your playing) to go without one.

Quote:
Old 09.30.2010, 08:47 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really wanna play "Break Stuff".

That's probably one of the simplest songs of all time, so you're in luck! Okay, first of all, tune to mud sharp (he probably used drop-C tuning). He used a 7 string but you don't have one so we'll just say, a 6 string.. Put all your fingers on the third fret and play the bottom 3 strings ("bottom" means "low", not "furthest away from you"). Then put your fingers on the on the 2nd string, 2nd fret, 3rd string, 4th fret. Repeat that a million times. That's the main riff. The chorus is just the first 3 strings, first fret, and there's some bending, you play it a few times, and then play the fourth fret and 2nd fret. There's some other stuff but at least with my little guide here, you can play the two main riffs. Basically, aside from the power chord you form in the 2nd part of the main riff, you can EASILY play this whole song with one finger. As far as sweaty ADIDAS mook rock goes, Wes -- and the members of KoRn -- were actually pretty interesting guitarists, but all their stuff is extremely easy to play, with lots of processing and effects. Many of KoRn's verse riffs were just one or two notes played through a pedal... weird bent guitar interplay and stuff, interesting and creative.. Then, of course, most of their chorus riffs were just 3 or 4 notes, all played on the lowest string with one finger. Very 2-dimensional, boring and simple... but, then, most popular music in general is 2-dimensional, boring and simple (White Stripes!)? I never took a lesson, I just developed my own style, utilizing lots of simple but neat-sounding techniques to compose riffs. Like, I use lots of harmonics, arpeggios, tremolo picking, finger tapping (though I didn't really know what any of that stuff was called when I first started fucking around), and mix different techniques within a riff -- I might play a few notes, palm mute a part, play some harmonics, then go back to the palm mute part, before I play two power chords -- all extremely simple techniques, mixed together to make some creative riffs. I always liked what Joey Santiago of the Pixies said... he siad he only wanted to play the type of stuff that made his ears perk up when other guitarists played them, hence all the really striking single note things he does and whatnot. I guess, just fuck around and develop your own style for a while -- by the time I actually watched a few youtube videos and read a few online tutorials, I'd already developed my own style almost completely, so once I introduced some real "technical" skill (beyond just "creative" skill), I was ready to go. And I also realized that I was already playing "better" than most of the popular guitarists anyway. Most of my favorite riffs ever are shockingly simple, and guitarists usually can get away with playing some simple stuff -- as long as it's striking. On the other hand, if your goal in life is to be Johnny Marr, you might want to actually take some lessons. It all depends on what you want to do. But I was really glad I just spent all those hours, alone, not being told what to do. And actually, I think I learned more just from watching other guitarists than I did from reading or whatever. I have never really been too worried about tuning, unless I'm playing slide, since my style allows me to go out of tune and I can kinda just go with it now. I mean, it's nearly impossible to be completely in tune anyway. But, uh, yeah, since you're just starting out, it probably does help to play in standard or whatever... to familiarize yourself with the guitar and the different sounds it makes... remmeber that the guitar never really changes, if you play now or in 10 years, and you'll eventually hopefully be happy with whateer you decided to do with it. Don't be afraid to play lots of power chords or just a few notes.

I highly suggest Ernie Ball strings -- they sound fucking great!

Old 09.30.2010, 08:47 PM   #36
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php

Good for alternate tunings as well. ALTHOUGH tuning with aids is only a good idea initially, it's much better for your ear (and therefore your playing) to go without one.

Agreed.

And I've used a few cheap tuners that I'm convinced were not very accurate...no matter how close.

As far as standard tuning is concerned, I trained my ear to remember the "eadgbe" sequence like a song....to the point to where I can get it in tune without the aid of a tuner w/ at least 95% accuracy (sometimes it'll be a wee bit off whenever I compare the finished result to what comes out of a guitar tuner)...this usually occurs when I haven't played for a while.
Old 09.30.2010, 09:00 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I just go to the fifth fret of the bottom string, play it, then play the next string open, then play the fifth fret of that string, play it, play the next one open, etc. (except, of course, the second to last string you need to hold the fourth fret). That always seems to work just fine. I like being sorta out of tune at all times. But I would reccomend you try to tune properly at first, at least, Joe.

Old 10.01.2010, 03:44 PM   #38
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Damn, this is really hard for me. Thanks fo rthe tips everyone!

And yeah, I probably do need to use a lighter pick - seeing as I've been using a coin to strum so far. hahaha
I plan on picking up a pack of medium picks when I get the chance.
Old 10.01.2010, 03:50 PM   #39
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Damn, this is really hard for me. Thanks fo rthe tips everyone!

And yeah, I probably do need to use a lighter pick - seeing as I've been using a coin to strum so far. hahaha
I plan on picking up a pack of medium picks when I get the chance.

picks are cheap. get soft, medium, and hard to see what you like. Good luck!
Old 10.02.2010, 07:41 PM   #40
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
this is the most pointless thread ever.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth