Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page sy to meet at the end of this year to start work on new album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2011, 07:35 AM   #1
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
check the nme website for info.
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://thequietus.com/articles/06353...writing-new-lp
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2011, 03:33 PM   #3
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
The stoppage in Sonic Youth activity, Moore claimed, was at least partly a result of fans “decoding” the band.

"It’s like they know what we’re about, like there isn’t a question mark hanging over the audience any more. Like they’ve figured it out and they appreciate it. That's totally fine and those gigs are totally fine but they’re also a bit business as usual and that kind of turns me off a little bit. So I wanted to back away from that for a while and do other work."

Their pattern WAS predictable. So much so you coulda wrote a book about it.
Old 06.01.2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
so now they're going to make shitty records. hope not
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
The stoppage in Sonic Youth activity, Moore claimed, was at least partly a result of fans decoding the band.

"Its like they know what were about, like there isnt a question mark hanging over the audience any more. Like theyve figured it out and they appreciate it. That's totally fine and those gigs are totally fine but theyre also a bit business as usual and that kind of turns me off a little bit. So I wanted to back away from that for a while and do other work."

Their pattern WAS predictable. So much so you coulda wrote a book about it.
Thanks Jenn. That's very interesting because there's an element in their audience I find most annoying. It's like every time any member or the whole band releases something, the fans get it or try to. Your life would be easier if you simply stepped away from expectations you hold for any band, and begin to question what musicians as such are meant to provide for you. You don't like someone's work, fine. But what is the point you're making by projecting blanket-hate for its unfolding, other than you have no real desire of replacing it with your own?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2011, 05:28 PM   #6
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Thanks Jenn. That's very interesting because there's an element in their audience I find most annoying. It's like every time any member or the whole band releases something, the fans get it or try to. Your life would be easier if you simply stepped away from expectations you hold for any band, and begin to question what musicians as such are meant to provide for you. You don't like someone's work, fine. But what is the point you're making by projecting blanket-hate for its unfolding, other than you have no real desire of replacing it with your own?

that's true , and when you act like that you start to get boring of everything
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2011, 01:40 AM   #7
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Well the whole point for me is the fact that I'm MUCH more interested in the side projects/SYR's and have been for nearly a decade.

I still love SY and want them to continue... but now is the time for them to mutate into something else for their benefit just as much as ours.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
bizarre blurb of an article, but maybe my favorite pic of this era of the band!

interesting, though. i always look forward to seeing what they do next (i suggest letting aaron engineer the recordings, though - love how SYR9 and nurse sound, in particular)... i'd dig more exploration of acoustic or semi-acoustic material, "massage the history" was great... or ferocious noise, however they feel...

they all keep so busy, i hear only a fraction of the non-SY output - but am of course eager to see how lee does w/ his 'solo album' + am starting to warm up to thurston's newest...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2011, 09:04 PM   #9
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
so does that mean their next album will be as radical a departure from their own back catalog as said catalog was a radical departure from everything that came before it?
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2011, 05:51 PM   #10
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
He haven't said that they will be recording any new music. He just said that they will meet and they will see what will happen. Am I wrong?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 02:37 AM   #11
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
what's up with all the nagging?! A new album, that is fucking great! Can't wait for more updates!
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
"It’s like they know what we’re about, like there isn’t a question mark hanging over the audience any more."

I happen to agree with him, because a SY show is somewhat predictable these days. After the first few shows of any given tour, you pretty much know what 90% of the set list will be. And you know that at some point there will be some kind of loud noisy breakdown at the end of a song. These loud parts are no longer shocking or "extreme" after 30 years.

I wonder how Thurston arrived at this conclusion? He makes it sound as though he observed this in the audience's reaction, rather than by looking at the band itself and the shows.

As a fan, I still love seeing SY live. I love hearing songs from the latest album, even if I know they are coming. I loved hearing Pink Steam six times in two years, and I still enjoy the noisy breakdowns. The point is, I don't necessarily need to be shocked. But if Thurston feels the need to keep the audiences on their toes, they will need to do something different.
Old 06.07.2011, 12:23 PM   #13
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Personally I'm more interested in the SYR series at this point than actual SY albums, but I guess I'll take either......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 02:31 PM   #14
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
2 words

piano album
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I look forward to this, even though I do agree that their SYR-stuff is much more interesting..but no SY album is bad at all, they're my favourite band so the more they release the happier I will be.

Hope it's out soon and that they will return to europe for some gigs.
It's been a while!!
Old 06.08.2011, 11:18 AM   #16
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
I wish bands were allowed to change the formula and do different things. To me, the same thing album after album, performance after performance and formula after formula is boooring. Although -- I've liked everything Sonic has done, with a few exceptions with songs.

That said, I've always been expecting them to just break out do something crazy new. . . my expectations never truly met -- and yet, still the most adored musical attempt.

I also favor the idea of them exploring more acoustic elements. The way I beat on me 'coustic -- aye, gives me chills at times. . . so Sonic Youthy. Arrrr....
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo
so now they're going to make shitty records. hope not

Are u a sy-fan?
Old 06.08.2011, 05:16 PM   #18
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicplatypus
I wish bands were allowed to change the formula and do different things.

I'm pretty sure they are........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2011, 12:26 PM   #19
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
They'll meet up in August to play with Wild Flag in Brooklyn. Will that be the only SY show of the year? I'd be surprised if they didn't play another gig this summer and some shows around October too.

other than the March Japan Benefit of course.

http://www.theimproper.com/music/2990/taylor-momsen-x-marks-spot-in-near-topless-shows-photos funny the sonik shirt doesn't get much mention here.

silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2011, 12:43 AM   #20
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I'm pretty sure they are........

To add the question mark back above the fan's head, do they not need change in some manner?

Band are allowed to change -- certainly. But it is not always met with cheers. So many bands abandon attempted change only to revisit their roots and follow a certain formula with writing, package or performance. There are many bands who have attempted a different style or idea only to have it backfire. . . and lead to their demise or the same-old same-old . . .
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth