Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page downloading music in 2011
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2011, 08:39 PM   #121
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I own almost every Vincent Price movie on DVD but aside from that and movies with Christopher Lee or Barbara Steele I think most movies and TV shows suck balls.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2011, 09:47 PM   #122
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I asked someone earlier what the difference is between a DVD and a CD. She answered none, except I'll pay for a DVD. Let's just put that one out: why do people still pay for films, or other DVD content, but not recordings?

Downloading 700mb-1.5gb is probably different to most people than downloading a 40mb album.

Also, dvd's usually have hours and hours of content. CD's... well, CD's are way shorter.

Not taking sides either way, just sayin'.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2011, 10:44 PM   #123
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
As if on cue, The Wire has this interview with Chris Cutler (of Henry Cow) about downloading and its effects:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/6715/

I should point out that Cutler is responding to pomo princess Kenneth Goldsmith's article about filesharing: http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/6445/, where he states that:
Quote:
Epiphany No 6: It’s all about quantity. Just like you, I’m drowning in my riches. I’ve got more music on my drives than I’ll ever be able to listen to in the next ten lifetimes. As a matter of fact, records that I’ve been craving for years (such as the complete recordings of Jean Cocteau, which we just posted on Ubu) are languishing unlistened-to. I’ll never get to them either, because I’m more interested in the hunt than I am in the prey. The minute I get something, I just crave more. And so something has really changed – and I think this is the real epiphany: the ways in which culture is distributed have become profoundly more intriguing than the cultural artifact itself. What we’ve experienced is an inversion of consumption, one in which we’ve come to prefer the acts of acquisition over that which we are acquiring, the bottles over the wine.

How boring!
I would have thought Kenneth Goldsmith would have showed at least some amount of empathy for the artists affected by illegal downloading, especially because i always thought ubuweb wouldn't offer any material without the artists' and copyright holders' consent. Maybe i've had a wrong impression? Anyway, i agree completely with Henry Cow's point of view expressed in this article. That's a crystal-clear, well-thought piece, and as far as i can see, is full of truth. I wouldn't know what to think of someone who could think such an explicit communication of his ideas qualifies as an act of bitching. Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
Buzzo weighs in on the state of selling music today:
http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/onthedow...#ixzz1OVU1Wk4u
I haven't read this yet, but certainly will in a moment. He talked a bit about the subject, plus other shenanigans, in an interview he gave when the Melvins recently visited Mexico:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLkS...ature=youtu.be
Old 06.06.2011, 10:54 PM   #124
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
There was internet drama with UbuWeb and copyrights recently:
http://www.frieze.com/comment/articl...eth-goldsmith/
https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com...er/001493.html (you can follow this entire thread to see how it played out)
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2011, 11:00 PM   #125
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
So i've been having my head stuck in my asshole. I'll read that too, for the sake of knowing what the hey. Thanks.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 06:24 AM   #126
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Downloading 700mb-1.5gb is probably different to most people than downloading a 40mb album.

Also, dvd's usually have hours and hours of content. CD's... well, CD's are way shorter.

Not taking sides either way, just sayin'.

As hard-drives get 'bigger' in capacity, will the film industry collapse? Why hasn't film compression caught on in the way that mp3s did? Is music the first arts industry of many to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 08:01 AM   #127
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I just saved a very large Jackson Pollock image as my desktop......
Old 06.07.2011, 03:45 PM   #128
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I used to download a lot in like 00-05, then I started buy tons of records like a maniac.

These days, I download a lot, but I buy more, and I often buy everything I download, I just want to listen to em while I don't own em.

Ofcourse I download if the record is expensive as shit or impossible to get.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2011, 06:29 PM   #129
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
If you can make enough money through gigs, I suppose albums or anything like it shouldn't exist anymore. PFFT!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2011, 08:44 AM   #130
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If you can make enough money through gigs, I suppose albums or anything like it shouldn't exist anymore. PFFT!
But the records are what draw people to the gigs.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2011, 08:54 AM   #131
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Precisely. Try giving all yours away for free, and see if that draws a bigger crowd to your gigs.
Bands being forced to play for free: another side effect of this culture.
Old 06.10.2011, 09:00 AM   #132
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
It just seems that nowadays because of the internet the wealth has been spread apart and no one is really making substantial money out of their ventures anymore because it's such an even playing field. It almost feels like communism to me.
Old 06.10.2011, 11:08 AM   #133
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This is a slightly different thing, to me - in as far as you're talking about the general live experience. People who go to gigs expecting the record will be disappointed. That the recording - the endlessly-repeatable, so-say perfect artefact - is given aesthetic primacy, is taken as the sine qua non of 'what music is' is part of the reason for the live scene not being as healthy as it could be.

What's a reasonable night out for the average person? A few pints, a meal, the cinema - but try and get people to a gig by a band they don't know is fucking impossible. How many people here nip out to see a band just because it's on? Few, I expect.

What I'd like to see is a return to the live show, if the record is to dissolve into incoherence or irrelevance. There's no reason that people won't want to support local, non-famous bands, and it's only really been in the last 30 years that culture's changed (as far as I can see). What we need in this country is a change in the licencing laws, to make it easier to put bands on, to encourage people away from the TV and into the pubs.

The problem is we're in a transitory phase - the record is pretty much irrelevant, but so is the live show except for a hardy few. The devaluation of the record is one thing, but the devaluation of music in general is very worrying.

[These are some thoughts in an order that is apparently arbitrary]

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.10.2011, 11:28 AM   #134
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
It just seems that nowadays because of the internet the wealth has been spread apart and no one is really making substantial money out of their ventures anymore because it's such an even playing field. It almost feels like communism to me.
Good point. If we lived in a communist society, it wouldn't be a problem manufacturing a record and giving it away for free. But we don't, so in order to produce something more sophisticated than a digital download, thus allowing to fulfill your vision accurately, money remains a necessary evil.
Old 06.10.2011, 11:47 AM   #135
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Good point. If we lived in a communist society, it wouldn't be a problem manufacturing a record and giving it away for free. But we don't, so in order to produce something more sophisticated than a digital download, thus allowing to fulfill your vision accurately, money remains a necessary evil.
I wasn't really taking a stance on it or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
What I'd like to see is a return to the live show, if the record is to dissolve into incoherence or irrelevance. There's no reason that people won't want to support local, non-famous bands, and it's only really been in the last 30 years that culture's changed (as far as I can see). What we need in this country is a change in the licencing laws, to make it easier to put bands on, to encourage people away from the TV and into the pubs.
In my experience, most local bands are terrible and there's a reason why no one cares for them. That's just in my experience though, I'm well aware there will always be hidden gems away in the live scene. I agree with the licensing thing and I also would like it if venues didn't put on strictly 18+ shows. I've missed many of my favourite bands due to this.
Old 06.10.2011, 12:03 PM   #136
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
In my experience, most local bands are terrible.

Your experience is wrong. I can understand people not being interested in local bands in middle-of-nowhere, public transport-less provinces, but Glasgow is not such a place. If you don't like the drone scene, try the folk scene; if you don't like the folk scene, try the jazz scene; if you don't like the jazz scene, try the classical scene; if you don't like the classical scene, try the noise scene; if you don't like the noise scene, try the sound-art scene; if you don't like the sound-art scene, try the shit pseudo-klezmer bollocks or jazz-funk scenes.

That should keep you busy for two years, by which time you'll be a lot less attached to 'a great performance' and more interested in just watching for the sake of it.

I'm not picking on you per se, by the way - I was a complete Nazi for all of my teens and much of my 20s. I know plenty of people simply aren't that arsed by live music - and that's fair enough - but in any given city (this doesn't apply to towns so much) there's always a shitload going on. Get out there and see it rather than assuming it's all shit.

Edit: but yeah, 18+ thing is utter bollocks. Though I've never actually seen anyone turned away for not being of age at a gig. Maybe laws are tighter now.

Quote:
Old 06.10.2011, 12:23 PM   #137
Derek
invito al cielo

I've been turned away many a time.

But yeah, you're right.
Old 06.10.2011, 12:25 PM   #138
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

No offence Derek, but I'm confused by your views on downloading and now gigs. If most of the bands that play in your area are crap, according to your taste, does it mean that they shouldn't expect a paying audience? Did I get this right?
Old 06.10.2011, 12:30 PM   #139
The Watcher
children of satan

Unless it's Iron Maiden, I have pretty much zero interest in live gigs anymore..... in my teens, forget it, I was going to three shows a week. These days, it'd be amazing if I went to three a year........ sweaty people, obnoxious drunks, poor sound, overpriced beers........ forget it. When I got married and hit my thirties that was great. Fuck loud bars too.........
Old 06.10.2011, 12:34 PM   #140
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I suppose in some cases paying for attending a gig should be avoided at all cost. What if the musicians are racist, like in Hakarl's case?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth