Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.20.2010, 12:51 AM   #11461
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
160,000,000 ? How does it all add up ? What the hell costs so much ?

Wasn't Keanu paid $10,000,000 just for doing the Matrix? And those films SUCKED ASS. I mean, this has always blown me away. Tom Cruise also gets like $20m per picture, doesn't he?

Anyway... it was shot on multiple expensive ass cameras over the course of many months (a year?), Leonardo DiCaprio probably commanded ten million, Ellen Page was probably a few million, there's explosions and cities toppling over and lots of other imaginative things, promotion, music, etc. I dunno. He soon realized that a film like Inception needed a large budget because "as soon as you’re talking about dreams, the potential of the human mind is infinite. And so the scale of the film has to feel infinite. It has to feel like you could go absolutely anywhere by the end of the film. And it has to work on a massive scale"

I'd imagine stuff like the train plowing through a city, and the crumbling world that the characters made up was the biggest cost sucker. In Freddy Got Fingered (this came out in 2000, right? Okay, this is another great mainstream film, 10/10), a shot of a car that was dropped from a helicopter into a power plant (which isn't even in the movie, just the deleted scenes) cost a million dollars! You gotta get permits and all kinds of shit for EVERYTHING.. explosives experts... stunt men.. the crew probably had a thousand people!... all kinds of extras for the crowd scenes...

That hotel was sets they built... so was the chamber in the snow fortress.. I mean, all that stuff.. wow.

I say that a good million of the budget was to afford cocaine for DiCaprio too. And a hooker every night.

I do like this, though:

For the dream sequences in Inception, Nolan kept the computer generated effects to a minimum and utilized practical methods whenever possible. Nolan said, "It's always very important to me to do as much as possible in-camera, and then, if necessary, computer graphics are very useful to build on or enhance what you have achieved physically.

Some reviewers complained the film didn't go "Far enough", I was expecting all sorts of insane dream logic shit to happen, but I'm glad he kept it subtle. Just an amazing film. Also, why do you guys want them to expand on any of the other characters? They're just his team members, that's all you need to know. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet there's a good hour of deleted scenes.

......It's still a pretty insane amount, especially when you consider Jodorowsky made THe Holy Mountain for $750,000 (El Topo was made for, what, $250,000?) and that film looks better than just about any film Hollywood has ever made. But eh.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2010, 12:54 AM   #11462
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
"Millions" is starting to sound worthless.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2010, 01:07 AM   #11463
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, when you watch a film like WE ARE THE STRANGE, made for like $5000, all in a computer, it really blows your mind, in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCSahatkbk

Look how good that looks, and that $5k was for a computer and a camera to get some of the shots to manipulate, everything else was just effected and fucked with in the comp. I mean, it's one of the most visually amazing thing I've EVER seen, and that goes for any anime/tv show/bid budget movie/etc, period. Pretty nuts... I think it's easy and cheap to make indie films nowadays, especially for people willing to do their own soundtracks and such... I've never spent a dime for any of my movies... It's all about your imagination. So, I think indie films in general are easier to make, but big budget movies are just going to get bigger and bigger and more expensive, the same way video games cost more to make and such, too. Things just have to get bigger, or, in theory, people will not be "interested".

Yet the only video games I'm interested in are cheap games on XBOX Live or Wiiware.. or DS games... because no matter what, good gameplay is all that matters. Same for movies. As long as the story is good, then a budget doesn't matter. BUT the fear is people won't even pay attention to a movie if it doesn't have all this crazy shit in it. So, there ya go.

.......On the other hand, I think FOLLOWING looks, and is, a better movie than INCEPTION. But I love that grainy black and white shit. To think, he made that film for $7,000!

I think it's important to have a small budget; just like when I paint, I try to limit myself to 3 or 4 colors. When I make music (with Robe. at least), I only use an amp and a guitar, no effects. To me, there's already an infinite number of things you can do with just a few notes, or a few colors, or a camera, or whatever. When you have an unlimited supply of money or whatever, I think it opens up too many possibilities. I think the most creative things have been done in short amounts of time, for cheap... I'd say an absolute disaster is more interesting to see or hear than a movie where everything is proper. Disorder is always preferable..

Anyway...

Old 07.20.2010, 01:51 AM   #11464
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Finally found these on torrents, netflix instant watched them a thousand times..

Old 07.20.2010, 08:41 AM   #11465
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
CGI alone on every frame of the film wil nrun in the tens of millions.
Old 07.20.2010, 12:13 PM   #11466
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Man I love Network, my favorite satire ever.

Amazing film.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2010, 04:42 PM   #11467
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Nothing special." Sure, if you don't like imaginative, inventive, intelligent, well-made, breathtaking, mindblowing, forward-thinking mainstream cinema, it's definitely nothing special! Haha. Man, Joe, you must've been in a really bad mood when you saw that film. Or you just don't watch many mainstream movies coming out in te theaters nowadays...

That could be it, but personally, I'd much rather watch your much-hated Donnie Darko (my score - 8.5/10) than that forgettable flick.

(MINOR spoilers below)

Sure everything looked pretty, they toyed with the concept of subjective reality, and people were floating around a lot... but I've seen much more intriguing dreamworlds portrayed on the big screen before (yes, I do understand that the dreamworld was supposed to reflect reality). I was stuck watching boring, unlikable characters spend hours convincing a guy to take down his father's corporation, through his dream.

Laaaaaaaame.

So yeah..."nothing special". It was like they crossed The Matrix w/ Eternal Sunshine, but ended up with a product with less enthralling action than the former, and much less emotional beauty than the latter. The concept they set up was intriguing, but they honestly didn't do all that much with it.

Quote:
Also, Joe, did you see my post on the last page? Giuseppe Andrews retired from filmmaking! Who's going to fill his void? I hope it's you!

In my dreams!

But yeah, I heard. It really, really sucks. Hopefully it's only a temporary funk that he's in.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2010, 09:07 PM   #11468
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses

9.5/10
Incredible.
Old 07.21.2010, 01:14 AM   #11469
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
This probably shouldn't count, but I just saw the Nostalgia Critic's review of The Room on YouTube (Tommy Wiseau's lawyers made him take it off TGWTG, claiming copyright infringement, which prompted NC to make a video lampooning them that was pretty amusing in and of itself). I don't even have to watch the whole movie to tell that it's garbage. Wiseau was either intentionally trying to top Manos: The Hands of Fate as the worst movie ever or he's some pretentious twat who thinks he's on some level higher than the rest of us. The latter is far more likely, because no one could create such a disaster on purpose. Bad acting, horrid "plot", a title that makes no sense, and easily the worst ending ever besides that of Alone In The Dark. The Room easily ranks up there (down there?) with the animated musical Titanic, Action 52, and Billy Corgan's studio vocal take on the Smashing Pumpkins' "X.Y.U." as media so awful it's hard to believe they even exist.

Seriously: -8/10
Ironically: 11/10

I'm pretty sure this movie was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm too lazy to use the search function right now.
Old 07.21.2010, 01:24 AM   #11470
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
This probably shouldn't count, but I just saw the Nostalgia Critic's review of The Room on YouTube (Tommy Wiseau's lawyers made him take it off TGWTG, claiming copyright infringement, which prompted NC to make a video lampooning them that was pretty amusing in and of itself). I don't even have to watch the whole movie to tell that it's garbage. Wiseau was either intentionally trying to top Manos: The Hands of Fate as the worst movie ever or he's some pretentious twat who thinks he's on some level higher than the rest of us. The latter is far more likely, because no one could create such a disaster on purpose. Bad acting, horrid "plot", a title that makes no sense, and easily the worst ending ever besides that of Alone In The Dark. The Room easily ranks up there (down there?) with the animated musical Titanic, Action 52, and Billy Corgan's studio vocal take on the Smashing Pumpkins' "X.Y.U." as media so awful it's hard to believe they even exist.

Seriously: -8/10
Ironically: 11/10

I'm pretty sure this movie was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm too lazy to use the search function right now.

Man, I thought I was the only one who singled out X.Y.U. for having ridiculously bad vocals. Excellent call, that song is mutilated in the worst way.

I remember seeing a few seconds of The Room somewhere one night, I remember thinking it looked bizarrely incompetent.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 01:38 AM   #11471
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 01:38 AM   #11472
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Finally found these on torrents, netflix instant watched them a thousand times..

Interesting. So good?
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 08:43 AM   #11473
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

The Room is awesome. I really dig it, it's funny as hell.

LIFEFORCE is awesome; why does it have the same font as that INCEPTION poster, though? Haha. Weird. PATRICK STEWART TURNING INTO A BLOOD MONSTER FROM A GUY'S NOSEBLEED.

Ghostchase, VErmilion Pleasure Nights is basically a super insane Japanese sketch comedy show; it says "A Japanese Mad TV" but that's not correct at all. Imagine The State, The White Kids U Know, TV Funhouse, and yeah Mad TV; now imagine the weirdest, most insane things you've ever seen on those shows, multiply it by 100, and it still doesn't touch the insane humor on that show.

There's even a Lynch parody on volume 3!

Here's a random youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d47OjcdIgs

Old 07.21.2010, 08:47 AM   #11474
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.21.2010, 11:39 AM   #11475
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Man, I thought I was the only one who singled out X.Y.U. for having ridiculously bad vocals. Excellent call, that song is mutilated in the worst way.

You're kidding me. I love the Pumpkins (Gish through Adore, with some of Zeitgeist), but I can't believe Flood let him get away with screaming like a girl on one line, ranting like a lunatic without any musical backing, and then topping it off with a Sand People impression when the song gets fast. Some singers can pull that off, but Billy, you are not one of them. And fucking get James and Jimmy back at least, if you can't get D'Arcy.

Quote:
LIFEFORCE is awesome; why does it have the same font as that INCEPTION poster, though?

Not exactly. The Inception font has more lines and the Lifeforce font is shaded differently. Sorry to be so anal, but I don't like when people say things are the same when on closer examination they clearly aren't.

But yeah, Lifeforce is good, if for nothing else but the female alien...
Old 07.21.2010, 12:06 PM   #11476
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

True, it's clearly not the EXACT same font, but they are similiar, for two random ass movies that have nothing to do with each other, on the same page on this board, from two different users. It's probably part of some "movies with vague sci fi elements font family".

Old 07.21.2010, 12:22 PM   #11477
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses

10/10. Believe the hype. This movie is just SO INVENTIVE, one of the best things to have come out of someone's mind in the past years. I realize now that Christopher Nolan is not only one of the greatest directors of our time but also a real visionary. I mean, it's not truly perfect but it undoubtedly deserves a 10, just because something like THAT has been made into a movie. The Prestige is probably still my favorite Nolan movie but Inception is certainly up there with it.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 12:23 PM   #11478
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
You're kidding me. I love the Pumpkins (Gish through Adore, with some of Zeitgeist), but I can't believe Flood let him get away with screaming like a girl on one line, ranting like a lunatic without any musical backing, and then topping it off with a Sand People impression when the song gets fast. Some singers can pull that off, but Billy, you are not one of them. And fucking get James and Jimmy back at least, if you can't get D'Arcy.

I only like the first two albums with around maybe 5 songs from Mellon Collie but X.Y.U is just a riot. That song does EVERYTHING wrong. The guitar riffs are embarrassing, especially that one part later in the song when it speeds up but instead of staying together they all just kind of fall apart and then get really sludgy afterward. There's almost too much to say about Billy's vocals, the weird demon grunting, the girl scream, the one dimensional angry grunts. Even the lyrics are ridiculous.

"And in the eyes of a jackal I say KAAAAAAAAA-BOOM!!!"

Even if he was high when he wrote that, when he came down he had to of realized how bad it was, or well I guess he didn't because it's still in there. I don't know what to think. Ironically one of my favorite tracks from that record just because it's so abysmal.

Anyway, to get back:

Uh, it was fine. I like Anderson's films but I generally don't go out of my way to see them, except for maybe Boogie Nights, great picture that one. Anyway, this one just felt kind of um, unfinished, like it was supposed to have a third act but never did. And John C. Reilly who I normally enjoy very much was just supremely average in this one. He seemed pretty lousy to me in this one. But whatever, a one time film I guess. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's bit character was great though!

Old 07.21.2010, 12:34 PM   #11479
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

10/10. Believe the hype. This movie is just SO INVENTIVE, one of the best things to have come out of someone's mind in the past years. I realize now that Christopher Nolan is not only one of the greatest directors of our time but also a real visionary. I mean, it's not truly perfect but it undoubtedly deserves a 10, just because something like THAT has been made into a movie. The Prestige is probably still my favorite Nolan movie but Inception is certainly up there with it.

Really? The Prestige? Interesting.

FOLLOWING will always be my fav.

Old 07.21.2010, 01:18 PM   #11480
Count Mecha
100%

I don't think he'll ever top Memento for me.

474524564571572573 574 5755765775846246741074 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth