Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page mirror/dash CD for three lobed recordings
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 05:21 PM   #21
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Ooooh....so 3 discs for the end of July then?
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 05:22 PM   #22
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
i know. xmas in july! how do you like 'em so far?
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 06:30 PM   #23
threelobed
bad moon rising

threelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

correct - sunburned, mv/ee + ww all around the end of July...
threelobed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 07:30 PM   #24
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
i think the one cover on the far right on the top has an image inspired by Dante's Inferno. Its depicting lucifer chewing on the head of either Brutus or Cassius who betrayed Julius Caesar, in the final ring of hell. Just read it for english, i might be wrong though...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:25 PM   #25
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
i think the one cover on the far right on the top has an image inspired by Dante's Inferno. Its depicting lucifer chewing on the head of either Brutus or Cassius who betrayed Julius Caesar, in the final ring of hell. Just read it for english, i might be wrong though...

you mean this one?

that's saturn eating one of his children...painted by francisco goya.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_%28mythology%29

on topic, i'm eagerly awaiting my threelobed package... no luck in the mail yet.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:29 PM   #26
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
really? cool thanks
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 09:58 PM   #27
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Goya is the man....one of the best.
Old 06.22.2006, 01:02 AM   #28
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The first two eps were waiting for me when I got in from work yesterday. I've only ever read about Sun City Girls before, and their recording is just as weird as I thought it would be. I've not had a chance to listen to the Hush Arbours one properly yet, but I've liked what I've heard so far.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:15 AM   #29
threelobed
bad moon rising

threelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
on topic, i'm eagerly awaiting my threelobed package... no luck in the mail yet.

if you're international, you might need to give it another day or so. i mailed the last of the international packages on friday, 6/16 (and i have no idea whose packages i mailed when). it should be there any old time...
Old 07.09.2006, 11:15 AM   #30
threelobed
bad moon rising

the second batch of discs is going to be hitting the mail within about 3 weeks. if your address has changed since the first batch hit the mail, please make sure we have your new address so there won't be any delay in getting your discs to you. thanks!
Old 07.09.2006, 12:39 PM   #31
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Blimey, this has come around quickly. I've barely got my head around the first 2. Especially the Sun City Girls one....I gave it a few quick spins but it's the sort of thing I need to be in the mood for and play it through interrupted.

Really looking forward to the mv/ee and sunburned ones. I was beginning to think that mv/ee were becoming a touch samey perhaps but I got that qbico pic disc they did and it is really fantastic. One of the best things they've done I think...
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:19 PM   #32
threelobed
bad moon rising

yeah, we're aiming to have all of these mailings out on about 6ish week intervals. the middle of september and early november are our aims to finish it all off. we should be able to stick right to it (or closely thereabouts)

Quote:
I was beginning to think that mv/ee were becoming a touch samey perhaps but I got that qbico pic disc they did and it is really fantastic. One of the best things they've done I think...

wait until you hear this mv/ee installment, then. it's pretty massive. it's along the lines of the last track from "mother of thousands".
Old 07.25.2006, 10:26 AM   #33
threelobed
bad moon rising

all of the subscriber mailings on this second batch of discs hit the mail either july 24 or july 25. start keeping an eye on your mailbox. if you still haven't subscribed, there is room remaining.
Old 07.25.2006, 10:34 AM   #34
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
So if I subscribed now, would I still get the past releases?

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 12:05 PM   #35
threelobed
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance feeeedback
So if I subscribed now, would I still get the past releases?

yes, you would - you will receive all of the series discs regardless of whatever time you subscribe. if you were to subscribe today you would get a package with the discs that have already been released and get the additional ones as they are sent out. let me know if you have any additional questions!
Old 07.25.2006, 12:37 PM   #36
segerandpriest
little trouble girl

segerandpriest has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelobed
yes, you would - you will receive all of the series discs regardless of whatever time you subscribe. if you were to subscribe today you would get a package with the discs that have already been released and get the additional ones as they are sent out. let me know if you have any additional questions!

nice work, threelobed. the hush arbors is my early fave for best release of '06.
and this subscription series looks as consistent (and consistently ballsy) from top-to-bottom as anything since siltbreeze and corpus hermeticum were giving us what we oh-so-desperately, still-quite-desperately need. may it always be.
Old 07.26.2006, 04:52 AM   #37
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/37417

Hush Arbors
Landscape of Bone
[Three Lobed Recording; 2006]
Rating: 7.4
http://static.pitchforkmedia.com/ima...gif?1153333992
http://static.pitchforkmedia.com/ima...gif?1153333992

Hush Arbors is the work of the enigmatic, Virginia-born Keith Wood, a man whose restless travels have led to loose associations with such premier underground outfits as Sunburned Hand of the Man, Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice, and Six Organs of Admittance. On recent recordings each of those form-shifting acts can be heard nudging away from more definable acid-folk territories, so it seems only reasonable that artists like Wood should be standing ready to move in and tend the mystic fires in their absence. Following a pair of releases on Digitalis as well as the usual crop of handmade CD-Rs, the five-song Landscape of Bone now appears as part of Three Lobed's intriguing new Modern Containment series, and it again provides instant transport to Hush Arbor's singular lost domain.
The most prominent distinguishing feature of Hush Arbors' music is Wood's gentle, slightly dazed falsetto. His fragile vocal delivery-- which here seems generated somewhere northward from Neil Young or Pearls Before Swine's Tom Rapp-- can lend even his most straightforward material a strange, asymmetric wobble. This vague discombobulation is further heightened by Hush Arbors' gauzy, outstretched fields of phased guitars, hand percussion, and unmoored drones-- all recorded with a lo-fi naturalism that recalls the open-aired environments of Jewelled Antler Collective acts like Skygreen Leopards or Blithe Sons.
True to the album's title, each song on Landscape of Bone works the word "bone" somewhere into its lyrics-- "Broken Bones", "Oar of Bone"-- as Wood dreamily sifts through the tangled knots of memory and regret. Despite this mini-album's brevity, he makes use of his limited space to consider a full spectrum of emotional terrain. His blurred enunciation sometimes makes his words indecipherable, but the opening "Bones of a Thousand Suns" has a distinct elegiac quality, its mournful liturgy framed by deep-earth hums and soft coils of fuzz guitar. Adorned with subtle slide guitar work, "Broken Bones" could almost pass for a particularly fried Townes Van Zandt creation, filled as it is with empty whiskey bottles and lost-love despondence ("I've died and I've died and I've died some more.") Soon, however, the album's mood reverses on the spirited "Bones By the Sea" which matches Wood's ecstatic garble to a melodic, tradition-steeped Appalachian folk cadence.
Wooden Wand himself (aka James Toth) makes a cameo appearance on the dazzling "Nine Bones", a grainy 10-minute recessional that closes this short collection with a heady blast of free-rock drumming and barely-harnessed electricity. Like his friend and sometime collaborator Ben Chasny-- who last year also contributed liner notes to Hush Arbors' self-titled album-- Keith Wood here shows the ability to take the barest ingredients of folk and psych-rock traditions and transmute them into his own unique form of sorcery. Three Lobed have already announced that future installments of their Modern Containment series will feature EPs from the likes of Bardo Pond, MV & EE, Mirror/Dash and Sun City Girls, so hopefully this engaging Landscape of Bone might also serve as a harbinger of further treats to come.
-Matthew Murphy, July 26, 2006
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 08:29 AM   #38
threelobed
bad moon rising

cool - thanks for passing along the review! keep an eye out for those new discs, folks!
Old 08.02.2006, 05:32 AM   #39
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Of the three that arrived this week, Wooden Wand is my favourite. SBHOTM I like too, but MV&EE will need time to grow on me.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2006, 02:27 PM   #40
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
just got the mv&ee bummer road disc, direct from erika's hands last nite haven't listened to it yet... matt and erika and mo jiggs (aka the man who runs the free jazz label Eremite) are such lovely people...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth