Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.17.2015, 03:41 AM   #37781
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
don't confuse performance with love. if you love painting that is all you need. seriously. doesn't need to be "successful" or "famous" or even "good". love is love and that is all it needs. everything beyond that is accessory. some great painters were never recognized in their lifetime. some successful painters were never good. it doesn't really matter.

let me draw a parallel for a moment: i fucking love cooking. sometimes i make delicious things and sometimes the result is inedible turds. when i make something good sometimes people say "oooh you should be a chef" or "you should open a restaurant" and i think, "fuck off, why turn deligth into a job?" or "so because i love fucking i should be a manwhore?". on the other hand, if i fuck up and ruin a meal, i don't give a fuck, i still love cooking, and i am kind to myself. and sure, i try not to make turds and get better, but that is besides love. love is love. it is complete. it is not punishments and rewards, i.e., it is not attached to performance.

okay! enjoy yourself. personally, i look forward to seeing more paintings you make, but please don't let that be a reward or punishment attached to anything.

ha, i don't know if i make sense, but i think i do.

you make prefect sense and thank you once again.

its just that. i cannot separate the 2. i dont think i ever could, and now its even more difficult. i must try.
perhaps the flow thing might work that way more.
when performance starts to get bad - in the beginnings it goes well- 'flow' gets interrupted, i think.
and i have elements that dont help, moreover when you are selftaught; im inpatient and if i am honest, i expect results with no so much work..
was thinking that perhaps i need some help - dont mean skrink but yeah!
someone to show me some things, get some lessons. dunno.
and its the other thing; if i had/got a job i liked a bit, i wouldnt feel that anxiety, that i wont ever get good in painting and make excuses about not wanting to go back to day job. although i know, it might make me more active because i m in a hole of non action (gym for example).

last, but not least, what gets to me isnt yet that i wont be successful/famous etc, although..it somehow has entered the equation, its that i dont get to paint the way i want. i cant even do the things people from art school do, even if its not what i want to do.
if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the moment you are completely satisfied with your work (art, food, writing, business, etc.) is the moment you should quit.

yes, you always need it to be an experiment, you need to have higher or different goals.

to conclude everything is on the mind.
i mean skills are a limitation, but mind sets further limitations.
so i remembered about this - Genteel Death linked me once.
http://www.libertyeyeschool.com/ap2d...ubpage=1655939
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2015, 03:43 AM   #37782
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
if i ever stopped drawing i am screwed because i already sabotaged my own reputation and my art is the only thing i have left that commands respect. a love of smooth rich tobacco or beer doesnt count

thats how i feel, perhaps for different reasons.
i have consturcted a whole view on life based on painting. what matters and what does not.
Old 01.17.2015, 11:15 AM   #37783
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
its just that. i cannot separate the 2. i dont think i ever could, and now its even more difficult. i must try.

i think that no matter what happens you have to be kind to yourself. not "if i do well i'll love myself and if i fuck up i'll hate myself". you have to be unconditionally your friend. it's like being able to say: "my mother will always love me." (some people don't have a mother like that, but there is always someone to model that from. ) if you can do that--- life gets a lot less stressful.

Quote:
perhaps the flow thing might work that way more.
when performance starts to get bad - in the beginnings it goes well- 'flow' gets interrupted, i think.

yes-- flow needs a balance between challenge and ability. too easy and you get bored, too hard and you get overwhelmed. but knowing what state to pursue (rather than an "end product") could be an interesting approach. i'm not guaranteeing "great results"-- it's just a suggesting for experimentation.

Quote:
and i have elements that dont help, moreover when you are selftaught; im inpatient and if i am honest, i expect results with no so much work..

i am self taught w/ most things so i look at youtbe and instructables and how-to books a lot ha ha--- just look at the "what are you reading" thread and i'm always reading some fucking manual. but i am able to keep from flogging myself when things don't work out, so that allows me to be patient and start again when i fuck up until i get it (i didn't use to be that way).

in this way failures become opportunities to learn-- i destroyed a good knife butchering a mutton the other day but i never thought of giving up the butchering and after some mental refresh i started again and found sweet victory. sure, in part i had a solemn duty to cut that meat because i cannot kill an animal just to throw his body away, so i couldn't give it up. but it could have been a tearful experience-- it wasn't. just some regrets for the knife and many technical headaches and a bit of back pain and fatigue. but it was very rewarding in the end, insurmountable obstacles and all (shards of metal in the meat).

if you mentally punish yourself for not being perfect, then working to get good can be really hard, if not impossible. this is where kidness to self comes handy (well it has many benefits but that is definitely one).

Quote:
was thinking that perhaps i need some help - dont mean skrink but yeah!
someone to show me some things, get some lessons. dunno.

i wish i knew where to direct you with that but painting is not my expertise. but about mental states-- read some taoism maybe? could be fun.

Quote:
and its the other thing; if i had/got a job i liked a bit, i wouldnt feel that anxiety, that i wont ever get good in painting and make excuses about not wanting to go back to day job. although i know, it might make me more active because i m in a hole of non action (gym for example).

i think i don't understand this. what's your work situation right now?

Quote:
last, but not least, what gets to me isnt yet that i wont be successful/famous etc, although..it somehow has entered the equation, its that i dont get to paint the way i want. i cant even do the things people from art school do, even if its not what i want to do.
if that makes sense.

yes. but to do something well it takes a lot of practice. practice takes a lot of patience. patience takes a lot of love. love takes selflessness.

the thing with art school-- there are different kinds of art schools. there's the beaux-arts schools and there are others that take different approach. seems to me the kind you're lookig at has a more beaux-arts approach-- you know, with models, etc. whereas other schools start with concepts and how you implement that is multidisciplinary.

many good artists are self-taught. probably most are. i would write a long rant about this but i am hungry and running out of steam so let me just say-- what about color? if color is your nature-- why not just start from color instead of shape? oh i am hungry now and lightheaded--- probably from last night's drinks. but think about this maybe-- to play to your strengths instead of trying to be well-rounded? i'd list you many examples but maybe later in the day. maybe i'll make a bloody mary and fry some meat ha ha ha. i have a leg of mutton to cook and it will be some work. i'm excited/puzzled. but yes please think about playing to your strengths. more later.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2015, 11:32 AM   #37784
Nefeli
invito al cielo

^ i ll read/reply tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
You should try practicing mindfulness. I think it could be really helpful to you.

thank you; need to look this up.
im very lazy

here's another smth just for you to see before it hits garbage can and/or i mean i m starting again..other one. thats on paper.
if only i hadnt fucked up her mouth/ear with the paint.

edit used not to believe in laziness. that it doesnt exist. its other things behind it. cant elaborate now.
Old 01.18.2015, 04:50 AM   #37785
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Quote:
i think that no matter what happens you have to be kind to yourself. not "if i do well i'll love myself and if i fuck up i'll hate myself". you have to be unconditionally your friend. it's like being able to say: "my mother will always love me." (some people don't have a mother like that, but there is always someone to model that from. ) if you can do that--- life gets a lot less stressful.

yes-- flow needs a balance between challenge and ability. too easy and you get bored, too hard and you get overwhelmed. but knowing what state to pursue (rather than an "end product") could be an interesting approach. i'm not guaranteeing "great results"-- it's just a suggesting for experimentation.

i am self taught w/ most things so i look at youtbe and instructables and how-to books a lot ha ha--- just look at the "what are you reading" thread and i'm always reading some fucking manual. but i am able to keep from flogging myself when things don't work out, so that allows me to be patient and start again when i fuck up until i get it (i didn't use to be that way).

in this way failures become opportunities to learn-- i destroyed a good knife butchering a mutton the other day but i never thought of giving up the butchering and after some mental refresh i started again and found sweet victory. sure, in part i had a solemn duty to cut that meat because i cannot kill an animal just to throw his body away, so i couldn't give it up. but it could have been a tearful experience-- it wasn't. just some regrets for the knife and many technical headaches and a bit of back pain and fatigue. but it was very rewarding in the end, insurmountable obstacles and all (shards of metal in the meat).

if you mentally punish yourself for not being perfect, then working to get good can be really hard, if not impossible. this is where kidness to self comes handy (well it has many benefits but that is definitely one).

i wish i knew where to direct you with that but painting is not my expertise. but about mental states-- read some taoism maybe? could be fun.

i think i don't understand this. what's your work situation right now?

yes. but to do something well it takes a lot of practice. practice takes a lot of patience. patience takes a lot of love. love takes selflessness.

the thing with art school-- there are different kinds of art schools. there's the beaux-arts schools and there are others that take different approach. seems to me the kind you're lookig at has a more beaux-arts approach-- you know, with models, etc. whereas other schools start with concepts and how you implement that is multidisciplinary.

many good artists are self-taught. probably most are. i would write a long rant about this but i am hungry and running out of steam so let me just say-- what about color? if color is your nature-- why not just start from color instead of shape? oh i am hungry now and lightheaded--- probably from last night's drinks. but think about this maybe-- to play to your strengths instead of trying to be well-rounded? i'd list you many examples but maybe later in the day. maybe i'll make a bloody mary and fry some meat ha ha ha. i have a leg of mutton to cook and it will be some work. i'm excited/puzzled. but yes please think about playing to your strengths. more later.

i ll reply to couple of things.
my work situation is the same; we have elections now and after that, i ll start waiting for when i get notice about the job. unless the whole things blows -after the elections.

reading manuals is probably my worst thing to do..so i dont do it.
but yeah
'in this way failures become opportunities to learn-- i destroyed'
that has been one of my major battles; not caring if the outcome will be bad and if i have destroyed canvases and wasted colours.

' what about color? if color is your nature-- why not just start from color instead of shape?'
these days i figured i must do the opposite: do good drawing and paint as if i m drawing. what i have been caring the most and having difficulties with, are my strokes and the way i use the material (acrylics, oil). need to keep them in light textures, because the shit start to happen when the color is more solid.

Plips
you are so right about the ears especially and surely makes sense what you did with photoshop...but thats the pic i m working with..and i have taken good measures these times.
probably its the ankle the pic is taken and then i need to figure out the light/shadow to make this work as it is.

thank you both.

ah and smth nice i should share, is that the model of this, told me last night some dang thing about a painter
who apparently is very good and important - didnt ask a lot, he didnt tell me his name
saw this and said many nice (or other) things about some of my works.
again i didnt ask details.
we might go and meet him - he is at the national gallery.

Old 01.19.2015, 12:45 AM   #37786
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@ nefeli - had a busy day and now too tired to respond but ACRYLIC PAPER. cheapest surface to practice on. here i can buy it at the supermarket:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canson-XL-...heets/34202966

oh im all over the place now

that one w/ the model looks great! i have seen sketches of that same, this works great.

@ plips - that photoshop magic is cool w/ the shape!! while less realistic i prefer nefeli's intense colors for expression though.
Old 01.24.2015, 10:21 AM   #37787
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue

good night, sweet prince

;_;

*deep heavy sigh* should've guessed you went on there. 8 hours! 8 hours q&a?! I mean really?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2015, 10:55 AM   #37788
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
*deep heavy sigh* should've guessed you went on there. 8 hours! 8 hours q&a?! I mean really?

i've been trying to guess what this is about

first i thought some anime artist died

now i was wondering if this was about football transfers ha ha

come on, someone tell

===

ETA: NEVER MIND! i i googled the word on the shirt and all became clear.
Old 01.24.2015, 11:00 AM   #37789
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2015, 11:10 AM   #37790
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i've been trying to guess what this is about

first i thought some anime artist died

now i was wondering if this was about football transfers ha ha

come on, someone tell

===

ETA: NEVER MIND! i i googled the word on the shirt and all became clear.

Ha yeah it's the wonderful world of 4chan.

Old 01.24.2015, 11:15 AM   #37791
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah im lissening to his youtube now haha

it's boring lol

okay i heard enough

not to discount his contributions to western civilization or anything
Old 01.24.2015, 11:22 AM   #37792
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah im lissening to his youtube now haha

it's boring lol

okay i heard enough

not to discount his contributions to western civilization or anything

Yeah I was the same after 20 minutes. He decided 8 hours was just enough for some reason.

Old 01.24.2015, 11:24 AM   #37793
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Yeah I was the same after 20 minutes. He decided 8 hours was just enough for some reason.

24,000 people! 1.2 seconds to each person.
Old 01.24.2015, 11:25 AM   #37794
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

ha ha ha, finally your pic loaded (i saw a question mark for the longest time)

this is very good
Old 01.26.2015, 09:56 PM   #37795
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I miss this place.

here's a track for all ya'll asses.

http://youtu.be/duHl8uMBB8k
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2015, 03:34 PM   #37796
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
GO PATS
Old 01.29.2015, 03:18 PM   #37797
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i'm here. waiting for my friend to pick me up so we can drive home. daytona hoooo.
Old 01.29.2015, 03:24 PM   #37798
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

i find it really hilarious that page 3 of the posts here go back to october. it really is the same thread. that this thread prevails is maybe my favorite thing on the internet, other than that he-man what's going on thing.
Old 01.29.2015, 03:25 PM   #37799
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

oh god i gotta find huskers on a plane
Old 01.29.2015, 03:51 PM   #37800
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
oh god i gotta find huskers on a plane

and here you go

www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14841
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1390179018401880188718881889 1890 189118921893190019401990 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth