Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.02.2013, 03:46 PM   #3341
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I can't disagree with that, although it's fair to say that not many of the younger players who did feature really shone either. But ultimately I agree.

degea + isco + bartra + koke + morata + rodrigo + thiago alcantara are ready to be tested

--

ps- ^^ this also for h8kurdt.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2013, 06:07 PM   #3342
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
So if it is then they can look at being the only team to win the euro-world cup-euro in one run? Yeah I think I could live with that if I was in the Spanish team.

HOWEVER whilst I may not be their biggest fan, you honestly think this is the end for them and that they'll not have a decent run in the world cup? Like people have been with Barcelona (including me) people are too quick to count one loss as the end of an era. How fickle footy fans can be.

This is to suchfriends btw.

I know this was meant for Suchfriends but I agree, any claims that Spain are over are talking bollocks. This particular side may be starting to show its age but the depth of young talent in Spain is ridiculous. I just see this as a bit of a transition for them.

In terms of the WC I think a lot will depend on if Brazil can continue to evolve and what Germany look like. I also think Argentina could have a decent shout, but either way, even this current Spain will be contenders, for sure.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2013, 06:07 PM   #3343
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
What I've been trying to drive at I suppose is that interim tournaments like these are ideal to test out new players and tactical schemes .

That is true. The US team is sending some newbies to the Gold Cup to test em out for the World Cup and see if they gel alongside some of our go-to guys like Donovan, Altidore, Dempsey, and Gomez. I noticed conspicuously that Tim Howard is missing. I actually like that. I like Tim, but I dare say the guy takes to many fucking risks, and its cost us some crucial matches in the past. Its time to try something different and move on I say.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2013, 10:26 AM   #3344
elix it
bad moon rising

elix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
That is true. The US team is sending some newbies to the Gold Cup to test em out for the World Cup and see if they gel alongside some of our go-to guys like Donovan, Altidore, Dempsey, and Gomez. I noticed conspicuously that Tim Howard is missing. I actually like that. I like Tim, but I dare say the guy takes to many fucking risks, and its cost us some crucial matches in the past. Its time to try something different and move on I say.

Timmy is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. That being said, this might be his last World Cup. He's getting up there in age.

Thankfully Brad Guzan is no slouch. He had a great season with Aston Villa and some good outings with the USMNT.

Goalkeeper position is not one the US usually needs to worry about. We're in good hands (pun intended).
elix it is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2013, 03:11 PM   #3345
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I know this was meant for Suchfriends but I agree, any claims that Spain are over are talking bollocks. This particular side may be starting to show its age but the depth of young talent in Spain is ridiculous. I just see this as a bit of a transition for them.

In terms of the WC I think a lot will depend on if Brazil can continue to evolve and what Germany look like. I also think Argentina could have a decent shout, but either way, even this current Spain will be contenders, for sure.

I don't think Spain is contending any more. Again, Championship fatigue is no joke, and human bodies can only be pushed so hard. Spain would have to reload like crazy, and I just don't see that happening, further, many teams now have years worth of footage to draw on for effective strategies. Spain is going to have to quite literally go back to the drawing board and evolve some new plays if they want to continue to dominate, because what they used to win before has become more predictable and therefore more easy to defend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elix it
Timmy is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. That being said, this might be his last World Cup. He's getting up there in age.

Thankfully Brad Guzan is no slouch. He had a great season with Aston Villa and some good outings with the USMNT.

Goalkeeper position is not one the US usually needs to worry about. We're in good hands (pun intended).

Tim Howard WAS one of the best goalkeepers in the world, but point blank, if he hadn't have made that gamble running out to get the stop in the Gold Cup final in 2011, US would have won that game. He makes A LOT of those bad decisions. Essentially, Tim Howard is like the Miami Heat of goal-keeping. He is uber-athletic, fast, and strong, but his entire strategy is predicated on risk taking relying on his athleticism. Smarter goal-keepers stay planted more near the box, Tim likes to run down field to get the stops, but IF or WHEN he misses, it leaves the goal WIDE THE FUCK OPEN. It is the double-edged sword that is Tim Howard. When its good, its solid gold stops, but when he misses? GAME OVER.

I think that when we finally let Tim go, we may just advance further than before, and this Gold Cup is our chance to prove that before the World Cup next year.

Old 07.04.2013, 09:35 AM   #3346
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I don't think Spain is contending any more. Again, Championship fatigue is no joke, and human bodies can only be pushed so hard. Spain would have to reload like crazy, and I just don't see that happening, further, many teams now have years worth of footage to draw on for effective strategies. Spain is going to have to quite literally go back to the drawing board and evolve some new plays if they want to continue to dominate, because what they used to win before has become more predictable and therefore more easy to defend.

Some tactical change is inevitable as younger players start to come in but I disagree that teams have now found them out. There was never any mystery to how they played, it was just outrageously difficult to counter because they were so damn good at it. As they've started to lose some of their sharpness so they've made it increasingly easier for teams to find a way through but I see that as more to do with the players than I do the system. Full credit to Brazil but they really aren't that good and I'm convinced that, had they played the same way a few years ago against this same Spain side, it would've been a very different result.
Old 07.04.2013, 06:16 PM   #3347
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Suarez to Arsenal?

It doesn't add up to me but some bookies have apparently stopped taking bets on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...l-8687995.html
Old 07.04.2013, 11:15 PM   #3348
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Suarez to Arsenal?

It doesn't add up to me but some bookies have apparently stopped taking bets on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...l-8687995.html

i thought his whole deal was to get out of england to avoid the british media that was hounding him.

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2013, 11:17 PM   #3349
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Some tactical change is inevitable as younger players start to come in but I disagree that teams have now found them out. There was never any mystery to how they played, it was just outrageously difficult to counter because they were so damn good at it. As they've started to lose some of their sharpness so they've made it increasingly easier for teams to find a way through but I see that as more to do with the players than I do the system. Full credit to Brazil but they really aren't that good and I'm convinced that, had they played the same way a few years ago against this same Spain side, it would've been a very different result.

yeah, with isco, thiago, montoya, morata, de gea, munianian(sp?), coming in i don't think spain is bad shape at all.

Old 07.05.2013, 12:14 AM   #3350
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Totally. And the fact that they have an underlying way of playing means they can keep producing players ready to slot into it. But no team dominates forever. There'll be times when other teams come along that're in better shape, or simply happen to have better individual players than them. Long-term, though, I still think Spain are in a far healthier shape than most.
Old 07.05.2013, 12:33 AM   #3351
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
watch the magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438wakqfQbY
Old 07.05.2013, 02:21 AM   #3352
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Which team has more of an embarrassment of riches, Spain or Germany?

Old 07.06.2013, 04:23 PM   #3353
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Germany currently has a stronger 1st XI but Spain probably has greater quality in depth, IMO.
Old 07.06.2013, 04:27 PM   #3354
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
Which team has more of an embarrassment of riches, Spain or Germany?

damn. today's team, one-on-one, and on paper, i'd say germany has better individual players but somehow joachim löw hasn't been able to make them gel the right way (put heynckes in charge!). yes i blame the coach.

however, looking at the up-and-comers (i didn't see germany on the uefa u21 but they got eliminated in group stage), spain looks like the next big monster. provided they can be harnessed by the right coach with the right tactics, they should rule for another decade.
Old 07.06.2013, 05:48 PM   #3355
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Germany's u21s look very average relative to the supposed strength of their youth system. Gotze's an obvious individual exception, but how Germans must despair at David Alaba being Austrian. Give it a few more seasons and he'll likely be the best LB on the planet.

Joachim Low's manner deflects from his real achievements I think. The only possible blot on his reputation might be Germany's freeze up in the latter stages of the last Euros (albeit at around the same time Heynckes' Bayern did the same in the CL final). He's not an easy man to take seriously but given that his spell as coach has been during a period of such emphatic Spanish dominance (which must feel akin to taking up golf during the Tiger Woods era) I'd say he's done very well. But with Spain in transition and the remaining uncertainties as to just how good Brazil really are, it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the very high level of expectation that'll follow Germany into the next WC.

PS: Haven't forgotten that article, btw, just wasn't in work last week.
Old 07.08.2013, 01:27 PM   #3356
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

gomez going to fiorentina! sad, he's being sold for about half of what they paid for him in 2009. i hope he gets back in form. he used to be an amazing goalscorer!
Old 07.08.2013, 02:38 PM   #3357
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

and david villa is off to athletico madrid. by law it seems like they have to have great striker in their squad at all times. one leaves another comes in. torres-forlan-aquero-falcao-villa. pretty impressive actually. i must must admit i wanted to see him go to the premier league to see how he would fare there.

Old 07.08.2013, 03:15 PM   #3358
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
but given that his spell as coach has been during a period of such emphatic Spanish dominance

yes, but what is "spanish dominance"? it's individual talent + good tactics.

german has had excellent individual talent, second to none, but where it has failed is on the tactical level. which is why low is low in my eyes. it's not about his mannerisms or personality or the fact that he eats boogers and sniffs his own armpit, that's dissgusting but i couldn't give 2 shits if he was a winner-- the problem is that he hasn't taken germany to any finals, has he? and he's had the core of bayern munchen all along, players who know and understand each other.

lost to italy in the 2008 euros (i don't know the whole details of his banishment) edit: <-WRONG AS FUCK
3rd place in the 2010 wold cup (okay, champion Spain got them in the semis)
lost in the semis to italy in the 2012 euros

i mean, i love the attacking style that he helped klinsmann introduce, but it's time he wins something instead of getting punked by the difficult teams (spain, italy).

this generation of players (remember how schweinsteiger dazzled everyone in 2006?) is getting old, and 2014 might be their last chance at winning something big-- looks like spain is going to get better reinforcements from their youth squad (again, if del bosque will fucking have them).
Old 07.09.2013, 02:41 PM   #3359
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Given the nature of tournament football (especially international tournament football), I think tactics play a relatively minor role. Besides obviously talent, fitness, etc, the next most important ingredient for winning something like the Euros or the WC, in my opinion (besides a bit of luck) is nerve, or strength of character. No one can question the talent of a number of German players during the Low era but, you'd have to agree, there's been doubts about quite a few of them in that particular area, at least until only very recently. Spain didn't always win every tournament by playing brilliant football, but they were always unflappable in the big games. For all their diminutive stature and emphasis on flair rather than strength, they were as hard as nails where they needed to be. Ramos? Puyol? Busquets? These weren't necessarily the most technically gifted players but they were all big game ones. Add that to the ice cool intelligence of Xavi and Xabi-Alonso, and the out and out skill of Iniesta, and you have the real reason why Spain were able to dominate the way they did.

We can blame some of Germany's alleged mental fragility on Low but it was something that, until last season, also appeared to be an issue with Heynckes' Bayern. So we really have to point the finger mainly at individual players. (And Low did take them to a final, in Euro 2008.)
Old 07.09.2013, 03:10 PM   #3360
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

So are we all going to ignore the recent beheading in Brazil?

118158165166167 168 169170171178218268 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth