Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page For sale: SY FLAC hard drive
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2007, 09:21 AM   #61
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
{snip}
He's careful about the methods and language he uses when making offers. All signs point that he displays a lot of experience picking the right target and curating good karma with others.{snip}

There you go...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 09:27 AM   #62
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone who charges any amount of money for their time, for postage materials, and for disc materials, is an unethical trader. Unfortunately, if you give people an inch, they tend to take a mile.

Trading ethics all derive from the Grateful Dead's taping policy that recording and sharing is all fine and good as long as no money exchanges hands.

The policy pays respect to common human decency and the artists themselves. And anything less is the forte of soulless chumps.

Since people circumvent this creedo for material gain via overt selling (on ebay for instance) or covert selling (like rappard), most artists, their labels, and the venues themselves, disallow concert recording.

Hence, recording these days usually has to be done at one's own risk of being removed from the venue, or possibly prosecuted.

And every bad apple trader/show seller only causes more artists to become jaded and disallow recording or the posting of torrents of their live material.

Every abuser only brings us one day closer to the day that BitTorrent will be banned from the internet.
Old 09.26.2007, 09:49 AM   #63
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know (re)posting in a larger font size increased the validity of one's posts.

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 10:04 AM   #64
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
I didn't know (re)posting in a larger font size increased the validity of one's posts.

Only someone who obstinately has rocks in their head would not intuitively understand that my last post is valid in every way, shape, and form.
Old 09.26.2007, 10:10 AM   #65
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Only someone who obstinately has rocks in their head would not intuitively understand that my last post is valid in every way, shape, and form.
Then why bother with the formatting in the first place? Funny little man (bis)....

Old 09.26.2007, 10:29 AM   #66
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i think if someone records a show themselves, and they are doing it for the right reasons, thy have every right to sell it.
[snipped rest]
Sorry, no - you don't own the copyright to your recording, the artist still does. Copyright law is often convoluted/complicated and differs from country to country, but in the US recording shows is allowed under fair use, see http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107. I have similar links for The Netherlands (if you care at all ) and England, but can't find those right now.

Old 09.26.2007, 10:31 AM   #67
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i think if someone records a show themselves, and they are doing it for the right reasons, thy have every right to sell it. that shit can get expesinve and they are doing a major service for those that dont have equipment (or decent equipment) to record shows.

ifr a pay to see a gig, that music is mine.,,...i payed for it. same as with a cd/record/whatever. no, i didnt right the music but the music on the disc in mine. i mean...i own the disc.

certainly if i bought it officially SY wouldnt care if a reslod it. if i sold my used copy of goo that wouldnt matter, would it?

well, if i attend a gig and record it and sell it to have money for future tix to repeat the process then their is nothing wrong with that either.

trying to get rich of someone elses art is wrong...no doubt. but some of these people just want to keep documenting, and documenting costs!!!! more power to those dudes.

ive bought boots, and ill prolly do so in the future maybe.

You obviously don't have a clue about the rights to someone else's music.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 11:58 AM   #68
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Never get involved in a land war in Asia!
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 12:59 PM   #69
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Yes the bigger and bolder the font the more applicable your statements are.
Goodness me, youd think if you were SO right at least one other person would come out showing you some kind of support. And this isnt a place full of naive souls, we're all fans. I personally think that Mr/Mrs Rappard here isnt doing anything immoral and the statements about their past conduct only reinforce my opinion.
I do admire you Atari for spoiling for an arguement at every chance, it makes things interesting, but i think youve missed the big picture here.

Oh yeah and i actually agree with something Sway said, which doesnt usually happen.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth