Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal reviews thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.08.2009, 07:07 AM   #42
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Pitchfork=as garbage as I expect.
Old 06.08.2009, 08:09 AM   #43
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
http://markprindle.com/sonicya.htm#eternal

"The good news is they're still playing the uptempo guitar rock of Rather Ripped. "What's the bad news?"
They're dead.
Ha! No no, they're fine. I was just quoting Night Of The Creeps, a scrumptious horror-comedy of yesteryear. The actual bad news is that the songwriting isn't as consistent this time around. Most of the songs feature one strong melodic hook that the band then pairs with either (a) a long guitar interplay jam, (b) a Thurston Moore riff-by-numbers or (c) an ugly dissonant passage. Let's address each of these aspects now, and by "let's," I mean "let'e" (let me).
First off, the long guitar breaks obviously aren't a surprise; that's what they do. But it's disconcerting when a guitar break has no correlation at all to the song it interrupts. Secondly, Thurston can toss out those hipster 'tuff rock' licks with no effort at all (see his first solo album for proof), and he certainly does so whenever stymied for a melodic idea here. And finally, if all else fails, just play a chord comprised of notes that sound like shit together. Bammo Biff Bap Whammo! Your album is finished.
And yes, I realize I appear to have switched from third to second person at the end of the paragraph there. But what actually happened is that Sonic Youth suddenly walked up behind me so I decided to type it to them rather than saying it out loud. Kim, can you go get me a Diet Coke thanx.
Quick, while she's gone -- dearly aggravating my sense of hearing this time around are some of Kim's worst vocal performances in years. Her disgusting hoarse raspiness nearly destroys the sole mood epic here ("Massage The History," a mood VAMP driven by acoustic guitars!) as well as turning what might've been a nice ringing guitar clanger ("Calming The Snake") into a sub-Dirty screaming tantrum. Hey Kim we were talking about Lydia Lunch thanx for the Diet Coke. Lee can you see if that's a chipmunk on the patio.
Okay quick - Lee's career-long inability to sing on key continues here, and his two songwriting contributions might be his worst yet (Polvo fans should enjoy the spectacle of that band's mentors ripping off Polvo's early sound in "What We Know"). Thurston actually sounds good on the mic though; he puts terrific urgency into his great driving rocker "No Way," and his voice overall continues to mature from the shouty irritant he could be in his youth. Hey Lee oh it was just a bird? Cool I was just telling them how your voice is getting better with age.
In conclusion, it's another great outing for Sonic Youth! Good to see you guys, I'll talk to you later.
Okay they're gone THIS ALBUM BLOWS.
Alright, it doesn't "blow." In fact, it's almost up to their usual standards, full of sparkly harmonic tricks and multi-guitar aural surprises. And honestly, that's the most comforting aspect of the release: they're still exploring the possibilities of sound. Very few of these songs are simple verse/chorus constructions; they often veer off into unexpected little snippets of triple-guitar interplay as beautiful and/or bizarre as any that Sonic Youth has ever created. The problem is that some of the actual verses and choruses could use a bit of work. In addition to weak Lee-nks and Kim vocal abortions discussed above, we also have to contend with a terrible Fugazi rip-off (seriously, am I nuts or does "Leaky Lifeboat" sound exactly like "Do You Like Me"?), Thurston's pleasant-but-underwhelming "Antenna" (a smooth poppy "Sugar Kane" throwback that I loved until I realized I've heard the haunting chorus melody in some other song -- and now I can't sleep until I figure out what song it was!), and "Malibu Gas Station," an awesome driving surf-rock song (about Britney Spears, possibly?) ruined by a throwaway tuff grrl chorus.
What I like and what you like are five different things though. And this is turning out to be a very divisional release: it hasn't even been released to stores yet, but listener response on my FaceBook page is already running the gamut from "I only listened to it once and didnt like it at all and getting to the end of the album felt like a chore" to "Really? I think it's pretty great." I'm not trying to straddle the fence like a coward here; I honestly do vividly love some parts of the record and viciously hate other parts. Embarrassingly, I even enjoy two songs that I should by my own first (full) paragraph LOATHE; "Poison Arrow" certainly includes its share of gross wrong chords, and "Thunderclap" is nothing but Thurston Moore riffs-by-numbers. But consarnit, the former's dichotomy between screwball assfuckery and simple tonic/subdominant chords appeals to me greatly, as do the Helmetastic staccato ending and Thurston's strangely Shannon Selberg-sounding vocal. As for the latter, the song basically stinks but the little Kim/Thurston "yeah yeah!" and "whoa whoa!" vocals are so adorable, I want to kiss them both in their aging wrinkly mouth (with halitosis). Plus it's dedicated to Germs singer Darby Crash, which may explain why it's 60 billion times more fun than the song dedicated to Beat Poet Gregory Corso.
By the way, if this review seems contradictory and confused, it's because it is. When I started writing it this afternoon, I was only going to give the record a 6. But then as I kept listening to the songs over and over while writing, I came to feel that a 6 is way too low for a record with so many excellent passages. Is it full of classic Sonic Youth songs that they'll be playing in concert for years? No. But is it fun, diverse, guitarrific, uptempo and worth several listens to let the cruder portions grow on you? No.
No hang on, yes. Heck, even the ugly Gregory Corso song starts and ends with a killer piece of harmonics interplay.
To complete my excuse for the shoddy review: after deciding to raise the grade to a 7, I had to go back and rewrite certain parts, awkwardly cramming them between insults I'd already written. I still think it's a faulty record (Lee's songs in particular should've been rejected, or at least resung), but not so faulty that it deserves a barely-above-average 6. It may be an extremely low 7 -- but mister, it's Sonic Youth's extremely low 7."

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 10:36 AM   #44
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn

Actually the Marc Masters review is pretty spot on.

The Eternal accomplishes nothing. It's just...another Sonic Youth album, and in my opinion not a particularly strong one. However well it ends up being regarded, it isn't going to be remembered as any kind of touchstone. It's a collection of songs that could easily fit on various other Sonic Youth albums, that don't really say anything when put together. It might as well be a B-side collection. Nothing to see here, move along.
Old 06.08.2009, 11:15 AM   #45
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Actually the Marc Masters review is pretty spot on.

The Eternal accomplishes nothing. It's just...another Sonic Youth album, and in my opinion not a particularly strong one. However well it ends up being regarded, it isn't going to be remembered as any kind of touchstone. It's a collection of songs that could easily fit on various other Sonic Youth albums, that don't really say anything when put together. It might as well be a B-side collection. Nothing to see here, move along.

i agree but the way you put it is pretty harsh. i DO enjoy the album because it IS enjoyable. to not enjoy an album because it's not a touchstone or a big step forward is pretty dumb to me. not all artist accelerate at the same speed, and it IS sonic youth. they've been at it for a long time.

they definitely sound more tame, though
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 11:22 AM   #46
cuneyt81
empty page

cuneyt81 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
http://treblezine.com/reviews/3151-S...e_Eternal.html
cuneyt81 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 11:37 AM   #47
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i agree but the way you put it is pretty harsh. i DO enjoy the album because it IS enjoyable. to not enjoy an album because it's not a touchstone or a big step forward is pretty dumb to me. not all artist accelerate at the same speed, and it IS sonic youth. they've been at it for a long time.

they definitely sound more tame, though

I don't mean to be harsh. I don't have a problem with the new album, but it sounds like a lot of bands that have been around for 30 years, in that they are basically looking back at what's popular of their old material and making that; as a result the album is pleasant, accessible and likable at first listen, but I get the impression I shan't be listening to it much after it's been out a couple of months.
Old 06.08.2009, 12:18 PM   #48
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I don't ask a band to break new ground with each new record. It's not the type of listener I am. "The Eternal" accomplishes something, to my mind...the feat of making me feel the type of powerful affection towards an SY album I haven't felt since 1998. In fact, no other album this year has
moved me so much. That's why I just can't relate to the review.
Old 06.08.2009, 12:50 PM   #49
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/ar....html?_r=1&hpw
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 12:58 PM   #50
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...e-eternal.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 01:17 PM   #51
Theremin
little trouble girl

Theremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard sucka
Picthfork's reviews are quite predictable these days, they were expected to criticize this record for it's lack of innovation. But then again, this is probably more a fan album rather than a 'reviewers album' anyway (whereas Rather Ripped was the opposite).
Theremin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 01:18 PM   #52
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

Quote:
I don't ask a band to break new ground with each new record. It's not the type of listener I am..

I don't necessarily need that either, but I enjoyed these kind of songs from the band a lot more when they did them the first or second time around. It just loses it's novelty after awhile, so this album doesn't have a whole lot of replay value for me.
Old 06.08.2009, 04:35 PM   #53
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theremin
Picthfork's reviews are quite predictable these days, they were expected to criticize this record for it's lack of innovation. But then again, this is probably more a fan album rather than a 'reviewers album' anyway (whereas Rather Ripped was the opposite).

And Pitchfork usually rates everything shitty anyway.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 04:54 PM   #54
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I was quite heartened to see the Pitchfork review. Seeing as theyre doing "Sonic Youth week" youd expect them to give it 8/10 or better no matter how good they think it is, but its nice to see they can publish a review when it counters some of their marketing drive.
Pitchfork really isnt that bad, they might not review the latest Ashtray Navigations CDR but as long as you accept its a mainstream enterprise like any popular magazine then theyre ok as far as i see it

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 05:00 PM   #55
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yep. I like the SY videos they put up today though!
Old 06.08.2009, 05:00 PM   #56
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Mark Prindle rules.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 05:01 PM   #57
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Derek again.
Old 06.08.2009, 05:01 PM   #58
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

I like the video and interview sections on P-fork. But the reviews and lists? Not
as much. The SY video week certainly makes up for a mediocre review.
Old 06.08.2009, 05:02 PM   #59
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

Agreed
Old 06.08.2009, 07:28 PM   #60
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
I like the video and interview sections on P-fork. But the reviews and lists? Not
as much. The SY video week certainly makes up for a mediocre review.
Come onnn, their lists are great. The Top 100s albums whatever decade lists. They got me into a lot of good music years back.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth