Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page In Utero Appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2007, 04:59 AM   #141
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
It was a joke, Sway. As in hardy-har-har-har. Jokes. Etc. Although, I probably should have just put "Pearl Jam should have shut the door years ago". But then I probably would have got a spiel about how you've seen them shut car doors, house doors, etc. So I probably should have just said I don't really care for them these days - but I think that was kinda evident anyways.
Old 05.09.2010, 01:46 AM   #142
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Bumped for the continued appreciation of In Utero - the culmination of Bleach and Nevermind - the peak of a tortured artist's manic vision and dream yearnings... For a world where pop doesn't have to suck my motherfuckng balls...
Old 05.09.2010, 06:56 AM   #143
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Muddy Banks Of Wishkah >

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 06:59 AM   #144
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Muddy Banks Of Wishkah >
kicks asses and takes names... You know SY should release a live album with this kinda energy... a double disc edition...
Old 05.12.2010, 01:45 PM   #145
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
I have to disagree... Nirvana created a masterpiece of abrasion and aggression on In Utero, managed to look good doing it, and still remained nice guys you could have a cup of coffee with...

Mmm... In Utero is neither that abrasive nor that aggressive. It's pretty MOR, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I loved this album when I was younger, but having heard the so-called Steve Albini mix, which is supposedly a very far-away cleaned-up version of his mix, I wish they had released that. It actually sounded very abrasive in some parts, and really cool and intriguing in others. And that's not something I can say about any of Nirvana's music, except maybe their really late stuff.

It's way better than Nevermind, though. I mean, I'm not even talking about production or musical "ethics" or indieness and that bullshit, I'm talking about pure and simple songwriting. It's a million times more consistent than Nevermind. The noise songs are more committed to the noise and also more thought out. The ballady songs are more melodic. The ones in the middle like "Heart-Shaped Box'' are also better. Not to mention the lyrics actually having some thought put into them (and we ALL know that was at least partially thanks to you know who's influence, whether we want to admit it or not).

Quote:
unfortunately yes! exactly! but that shouldn't discredit in utero, I mean does the crappy music from the 70s discredit paranoid?

Paranoid really isn't THAT great of an album. You can tell it was rushed out to capitalize on their success or whatever. The first album was much better in every way. Lyrically it was much better and musically I think it was too. Although "Paranoid" is a really good song.

Quote:
contrary to popular belief, i love the production, one of albini's best...besides, the remixing and remastering was just in a couple of songs, not on the whole album.

Listen to the alternate mix and you'll see that that's absolutely not true. Every song on that mix is different in at least some small way. Most of them are very different.

Quote:
anyway, what's sad about in utero is their best song (marigold) was recorded during these sessions.. and it wasn't even on the album.

This is definitely not their best song haha. First of all, it wasn't even a fucking Nirvana song, it was a remixed version of a song on Dave's Pocket Watch thing, and second of all it's a terrible song and the only reason you posted this is to be "edgy"
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 07:30 PM   #146
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, then, by your no-logic, you said Paranoid is not good to be "edgy", too! See how that works? Crazy!

...But, seriously, Marigold is by far the best song recorded during that time. Even MY MASTER MASTIKAL, MR. ALBINI, thinks so. Scentless Apprentice is also really good, wasn't that also written by Dave? Oh no it's not a Nirvana song either then!

Etc.

Old 05.12.2010, 07:37 PM   #147
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great album but not the best womb themed album I can think of.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 01:09 AM   #148
alyasa
invito al cielo

What is the best womb themed album you can think of; off the top of your head...
Old 05.13.2010, 08:49 PM   #149
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
i appreciate the record
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 09:10 PM   #150
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Hit or miss. I've grown to appreciate it a bit more in time. I LOVE Milk It (even though it's clearly a Melvins ripoff; same bassline, structure, etc), Frances Farmer, Scentless, Serve, Dumb, Very Ape, Radio Friendly. Not a big fan of any of the other songs, but they are all interesting in some way. Heart Shaped kinda goes nowhere, but at least creates a cool atmosphere, with its ugly chord pickings. Rape Me.... I mean, it's kinda cool how it sounds exactly like Smells Like Teen spirit at the beginning, and then considering the content of the song -- it almost seems like a parody of, and a response to, Teen Spirit. Don't like All Apologies at all, aside from the ending. I do remember listening to it once and hearing what sounded like a piece of paper at one point, like Kurt turning a piece of paper with lyrics on it, over.

Decent album, seems a bit conflicted in what they were trying to accomplish, but that adds to the charm. It's also the first CD I ever bought with my own birthday money (first tape I ever got was WALK AMONG US, at age 6). I think I was 8.

I'd like to hear the other version, the mixed version that wasn't released, or whatever infinitemusic's post alludes to.

Old 05.13.2010, 09:33 PM   #151
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
my fave of trhe three studio albums. Scentless Apprentice does kick ass also Radio Friendly..da.sd.a.rs...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 12:13 PM   #152
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Dave Grohl And Krist Novoselic Share Memories, Unreleased Tracks From 'In Utero'
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...-from-in-utero
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 12:16 PM   #153
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 12:51 PM   #154
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Still my fav. album of all time. Think I'll be getting the new box set, but by golly gosh it costs a fair few pennies.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 01:02 PM   #155
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
IN UTERO TURNS 20 AT EMP - ELECTRONIC PRESS KIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02U-QZh9cws
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 10:50 PM   #156
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
that super deluxe is looking nice, but i wish i could get it under 100, ugh decisions
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2013, 09:36 PM   #157
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
atari, thanks (and it's good to see you around)!

I was hesitant to check out the NPR link as I don't want to hear that obscure "Forgotten Tune" yet as I plan to purchase the box-set. The rest of that program is worth a listen, though (enjoying it now).

I'm familiar with a lot of the material. Most of it has circulated in trading circles/torrent sites for years. It is my understanding even the Steve Albini original mix has been released by Geffen Records at some point already... This reissue is still an interesting object to me, though, even if it would cost crazy bucks (don't remember if the "Nevermind" reissue was as costly, probably it was) and I think there could be a horrible loudness-war remaster there, too, which in my case would not make me happy in the slightest. Really looking forward to the "Live and Loud" DVD and CD, though. It's great to know an universally acclaimed performance will finally get an official release in its full form.

As a side note, just the other day I was reading Tom Hansen's "American Junkie", and found a mention of that Live and Loud show, which had more to do with Kurt Cobain's heroin addiction at the time, as opposed to providing any sort of context in regards to that particular Nirvana performance.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2013, 10:33 PM   #158
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
This reissue is still an interesting object to me, though, even if it would cost crazy bucks (don't remember if the "Nevermind" reissue was as costly, probably it was)

It was 19.99-24.99 but they had a gold version which was pricier.. I think the reissues are crucial because they expose quite literally AN ENTIRELY new generation to that more underground, bootleg version of Nirvana which was part of the appeal. In the mid-1990s buying obscure Nirvana boots was an almost esoteric experience. Now that kids can find this material easier than we did, I think is good, because that bootleg scene was (a) mercilessly over priced and (b) utterly dead due to the internet.

Quote:
and I think there could be a horrible loudness-war remaster there, too, which in my case would not make me happy in the slightest. Really looking forward to the "Live and Loud" DVD and CD, though.

Yes, I've been happy with all the DVD reissues, Reading, Unplugged, 1991: Year That Punk Broke, Live!Tonight!Sold Out!, and now definitely Live and Loud which is the best Nirvana show I think. Its great to finally replace all those VHS copies from the 1990s, and again, that is something that kids today simply couldn't have experienced otherwise..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2013, 11:23 AM   #159
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://m.spin.com/articles/nirvana-i...ne-track-list/
Old 09.17.2013, 12:49 PM   #160
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
damn you courtney you are still so damned greedy its always a fucking Nirvana sabotage. Why not release Live and Loud separately as a stand alone Live DVD?? Why make us buy something we already have. I'm not even remotely interested in buying a reissue of material I've had since I was in elementary school, I'm happy the kids in elementary-high school today get to relive our 1990s joy of more obscure Nirvana, but I also want to buy that DVD, and now I won't.. Sighs. Its been twenty fucking years of this shit, Nirvana won't finally be itself until she is dead, and then Francis can rekindle a revival like Hendrix's sister has been doing lately. What she has been doing over the past 15 years with the Hendrix Estate is remarkable, what Courtney has been doing with Nirvana is embarrassing..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth