Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The demographics of SY fans
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2007, 12:15 PM   #21
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
12 to 60 is what I see at SY shows, with all the attributes crosswired !!!

All intellects have you, all brainiacs in the bunch. hahahahaaaaa....

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 01:55 PM   #22
Druzhba
empty page

Druzhba ain't too shabbyDruzhba ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
The Poseur
Bought Sonic Youth tickets. End of story.

in Mexico is the most common type, sadly....

pd. Carmen don't want to go with me.

anyone ?

i got a ticket....
'You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.' Dr.Who

Druzhba is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 02:38 PM   #23
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
pile of shit
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 02:57 PM   #24
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
He came by himself because his wife is “over it” and his kids are still too young to be at a concert where people pass joints around.

ha ha , oh god !!!!

um... yeah, me, too. dammit.
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 03:28 PM   #25
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
I'm a 40 year old dad of three: two girls and a boy, ages 7, 5 & 3.

I work for a small insurance agency in Ohio. Married for almost 10 years. Own my own house, drive a Lexus and belong to a country club. I have voted Republican since 1990. And I will vote for either Guilliani or McCain in the 2008 Presidential primary.

I'm probably everything that is hated on this board, but I've been attending SY shows since 1991 when I saw them headline a show in Tijuana, MX with Gumball and Mudhoney. Ive seen them nine times or so, and I can't wait to see 'em again.

I haven't owned a pair of Chuck Taylors since I was like seven years old. And I still carry a full head of hair.

The last show I went to was Steely Dan and before that, Pearl Jam with Robert Pollard as the opener.

Peace out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 05:22 PM   #26
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
funny, hehe.
but I wont fit to any of those categories, hehe. somewhere in between, hehe.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 05:55 PM   #27
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I fit pretty securely into the Alternateen/E-Zine demographics, except I am no longer a teen (now in my early 20's), and I never needed permission to go to a concert, I just went. I do have long, shaggy hair and cheap, beat up seconmd hand clothes, but it's out of necessity rather than fashion. I dont have enough money to blow 20 bucks on tshirts all the time (I save that for special occassion i.e. concert t's) so I happen to shop at second hand stores. Im broke. I wear chucks (just nice sneakers, been wearing em since I was 6yrs old before I knew what "punk" was) and just stuck with them. I discovered SY early on in high scholl and stopped playing sports but never smoked cigs, just grass. I also try and get good positions for photos, Im into photography (but not very good at it). I also like Noise rock but I don't think SY is low on the Noise Ladder, they are innovators!! They just learned how to arrange noise in more strategic ways than strictly noise bands. SY has melody and noise, like VU.

But I'm definitely not a poseur or a '94 DJ cuz I still pay for my tickets and despite seeing SY live numerous times, I still get a huge thrill out of seeing them live!!!! It will never go fade!!!

Not that any of you probably care what I'm like, but it's fun to post anyway =)

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 06:23 PM   #28
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
UK Show Demographic.

1. The Blast First Posse.

Tend to stand more towards the back at shows these days. They're primarily male, 30s-40s and will usually wait until SY play Brother James before going home to listen to some Big Stick on vinyl.

2. The Wire readers.

Again mostly male, 20s-40s, usually more into checking the support band, wearing a Merzbow T, Nike sandals and sporting either a William Reid haircut or a #1 skinhead. stand close to the front so they can see what gauge strings Lee is using. Wishing they were back at the ICA so they could compare notes about frequency saturation and Evan Parker with their two friends.

3. The Noiseniks.

30s-40s, exclusively male. Come more out of ritual these days, wishing the band still sounded a bit like Swans. They'll be wearing a greying Confusion is Sex T shirt and standing at the side, right in front of the PA so they can spontaneously shit themselves everytime things get a little loud. They'll also be pretty drunk.

4. For the Love of Kurt.

Early 20s, mixed male and female, doing Fine Art at Uni, edging closer to Emo these days when it comes to dress but will definitely be wearing a Goo T shirt. Bull in the Heather and Dirty Boots will get a massive cheer. The guys will all be looking at Kim whilst the girls will be remarking just how much Thurston looks like the guy from Happy Days. They read the NME every week but insist that they hate it. They'll sneer at people younger than them wearing Nirvana Tees.

5. The Guest Listers.

Ex-members of Lush, My Bloody Valentine and at least two members of Teenage Fanclub. The guys look like Bob Mould, the women like Meg Matthews. They think Sonic Youth are 'just great to still be doing their thing'.

6. MTV 2 Brigade.

teens-30s, Bought tickets only because the Flaming Lips show had sold out. Spend the entire time prior to the band coming on talking to their five friends about a Bonnie Prince Billy track they downloaded. Mostly male, they worship at the alter of Beck. Likelyhood of seeing one of them in a Deerhoof T is very high.

7. The Hoxton Massive.

20s-30s, mixed male and female, they'll either be wearing an ironic Motley Crue T Shirt or else an ESG hoodie. 100% Converse and sporting an iPod. They have a couple of Sonic Youth albums at home somewhere but right now they're 'sort of listening to rockabilly shit man'. All the guys will be called Ben, for some reason.

8. The Aging Fall Fan Contingent.

These will turn up exactly two songs into the set, usually with their wives. They will chuckle knowingly when Lee gets a bit 'Prog Rock' on Mote. They'll dress like alcoholic postmen and look disdainfully at the increasingly youthful audience. They'll leave before the encore so they can get enough sleep before work the next morning. A lot of them will be called Dave and all will own at least one Captain Beefheart album. They will be wearing shoes.

9. The Terrorizer Readers.

These have a lot in common with the Noiseniks but are generally younger (20s usually). Their hair will be long, sometimes dreaded, or else completely shaved off. They'll be wearing DMs, black combats and either an ISIS or (if they're a little older) a Godflesh t Shirt. All of them, without doubt, will be male. Their minds will wander to happy memories of Converge shows whenever Kim sings, impatiently waiting for another dose of feedback. Some of them may attempt to stagedive during Pipeline/Kill Time. Deep down, they'll all be wishing that A. they were watching Neurosis instead, and B. that at least one of the women in there would be prepared to rid them of their virginity.

10. The Barlow Lou-kalike.

There will be lots of these, but all will have come alone. They will look like Lou Barlow, obviously, and stand exactly midway between the bar and the stage. They will watch all the support acts. Chances are that if they're not wearing a Sebadoh T Shirt (underneath an open untucked shirt), then they'll be sporting a fading Dinosaur one. In the gap before the encore, they'll shuffle towards the stage to check out Lee and Thurstons effects peddles. He will buy a T shirt from the vender at the venue.

11. The Neo-Riot Grrls.

They're here to see Kim, basically, to get some style tips that can replace their current fascination for the 50s sweatergirl look. Needlessly to say that they'll be female. Most will be in their early 20s. They'll desperately try and avoid the constant longing gazes from the Lou-alikes. They will dance during Kool Thing. The Lou-a-likes will swoon.

12. The Albini-for-President Army.

These are declining in number and quickly turning into an equivelent of the Aging-Fall-Fan. They'll stalk to the bar everytime Kim sings. They might be wearing a Shellac shirt and their hairstyle will be 'sensible'. DMs or (black) Converse and black Levis will finish off their (anti-) look. They'll go home thinking the show was '"shit".
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 07:59 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
That's good. Enjoyed the sub-groups and clans.

Old 02.16.2007, 10:24 PM   #30
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
One group wasn't mentioned.

Annoying, loud teenage girls fashioned in emo clothing and sparkly eyeshadow who met Thurston downtown that day. Amungst one another, their chattery, high-pitch sqeaks run a hundred miles a minute.Their bowel movements also run wild as Thurston dedicates Scizophrenia to "those 4 girls I met today". For audience members within 15 feet of their presence, they create an atmosphere that can only be found 10 years ago at a backstreet boys' show.

EDIT: just an experience I had in missoula last june, but still...
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 01:58 AM   #31
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
One group wasn't mentioned.

Annoying, loud teenage girls fashioned in emo clothing and sparkly eyeshadow who met Thurston downtown that day. Amungst one another, their chattery, high-pitch sqeaks run a hundred miles a minute.Their bowel movements also run wild as Thurston dedicates Scizophrenia to "those 4 girls I met today". For audience members within 15 feet of their presence, they create an atmosphere that can only be found 10 years ago at a backstreet boys' show.

...what?

Whatever. The "fucking assholes who's duty seems to be a cunt, and destroy the fun atmosphere with their cuntliness, and complain about stuff like, "Yr not movin' at all! They aren't gonna come back out if no one's gonna move," when he himself, did not ever move, and then I begin to scream "SON-IC-YOUTH! SON-IC-YOUTH!," and they come back out within five minutes. ...those dudes suck...

(The jerks that only come for the opening band(s), and their opposite, the fucking pricks who don't pay attention, and have no intention of shutting their dumb, intensely-bad-toothed mouths during the openers, even after polite asking, and an eventual "SHUT THE FUCK UP.")

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 08:53 AM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Alongside my twelve categories listed above, we have to include those poor souls who are dragged along to every gig by fanatical bfs, gfs, husbands, wives, even dads or mums. They'll be the ones standing towards the back mentally constructing shopping lists half-way through the outro to Xpressway. They'll usually be the first to say "I don't think they're coming back out" after the first encore.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 09:33 AM   #33
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I would have to say I'd be somewhere between Internet Celebrities and Noise Fans. I love the Youth, but I love more the noise.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 08:25 AM   #34
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Balding Middle-Age Dad Who Still Wears Converse All Stars
Aside from Sonic Youth themselves, Balding Converse Dad is probably the most cred person at the show (he saw Sonic Youth on the E.V.O.L. tour in ’86), but also one of the dorkiest. He came by himself because his wife is “over it” and his kids are still too young to be at a concert where people pass joints around. He got to the venue early enough to secure a spot that’s ideal for taking pictures, but in which he will regret having to stand when people start pogo-moshing to “100 %.” Despite his age, Balding Converse Dad manages to look pretty fucking hip in that black Calvin Klein button-down (sleeves rolled up) tucked into light-blue Levis.

fuck you .
mkay?

Old 05.07.2009, 11:17 AM   #35
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I fit into any of these categories. Maybe the alternateen? I'm not that ~alt~ though.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 12:23 PM   #36
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
Mid 40's, no kids, balding ... not at all worried about getting caught in a mosh ... not above going by myself if necessary but usually go with some kids that used to work for me when I ran a record store. Wouldn't be caught dead wearing Levi's or anything Calvin Klein though.
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 12:27 PM   #37
emmebr25
little trouble girl

emmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Noise Fans
These people enjoy Sonic Youth less than they enjoy Black Dice. Their favorite Sonic Youth recordings are the instrumental SYR EPs, and they’re not big on the albums Goo or Dirty. Most people come to a Sonic Youth show hoping to hear “Teen Age Riot,” but Noise Fans are there primarily for Thurston-and-Lee’s 20-minute feedback freakouts, without which they would feel as if they might as well be seeing Coldplay.

THAT'S ME!!!!!!
emmebr25 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 12:33 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i love sonic youth so much.
Old 05.07.2009, 12:33 PM   #39
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
These sound about right for similar shows I've been to... but my only SY experience was at the recent Merce show (at BAM) - and that crowd... well, it barely fit a ROCK show, let alone a Sonic Youth show... it was pretty awesome watching Thurston play with drumsticks while little old ladies sat 2 rows in front of me. Surreal to say the least...

I assume the Toronto show will be a SLIGHTLY different cross-section, but I find lately at ALL shows there's more people who just want to say they were there than actual fans (it seems)... so many scenesters. I actually stood near someone at a show not too long ago who had their back to the stage the ENTIRE show so they could keep chatting with their friends.
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 12:42 PM   #40
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to demonrail666 again.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth