Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Your music collecting habits
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.23.2006, 08:21 PM   #61
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
well i hope you tote it along to ATP so i can listen to it if i run into you.

no chance. i'm keeping it under lock and key for as long as you're in the country, just like certain other valuables.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2006, 08:23 PM   #62
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i paid $50 for the banana album with an employee discount, not in mint condition. part of the sticker is missing. i've got white light/white heat as well but it's not mint, it's got a lot of surface noise and tics in a couple of places and the sleeve has got a lot of ringwear and the corners have gone soft and are sort of rounded off and frayed.

but $80 for a CD is ridiculous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
no chance. i'm keeping it under lock and key for as long as you're in the country, just like certain other valuables.

are you going to put a muzzle and leash on me as well? because i wouldn't mind.
Old 08.23.2006, 08:24 PM   #63
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
And as far as Fushitsusha goes, you can spend a hell of a lot more than that, especially for vinyl.

indeed. but as far as i know only about 2 or 3 of their albums have been released on vinyl. the japs don't seem to have much of a liking for the format.
Old 08.23.2006, 08:25 PM   #64
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i would have guessed the opposite, they like that kind of shit over there.
Old 08.23.2006, 08:30 PM   #65
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
indeed. but as far as i know only about 2 or 3 of their albums have been released on vinyl. the japs don't seem to have much of a liking for the format.

Oh, but they do.
Japanese pressings are probably the finest in the world.
Prohibitively expensive for smaller labels, that's all.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2006, 08:30 PM   #66
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

well that's just my own observation from buying japanese music, it's seems that most of the japanese music available on vinyl has been pressed by european or american labels.

EDIT: ok. that makes sense as to why you never see PSF or whoever release vinyl.
Old 08.23.2006, 09:25 PM   #67
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I've been a pretty avid dollar bin prowler for the past few years until moving to a place that had absolute shit in the dollar bins or none at all. I must admit, I've bought some atrocious looking records in there, for example Killing Joke's first LP with scratches all over it...but it ended up playing fine. I think it's worth the risk a lot of the time. I've also found a decent amount of rare records that were in excellent condition in dollar bins, but I happened to live near a store with a great dollar bin. CDs as well, for example sealed copies of Butthole Surfers' "Psychic...Powerless," Caspar Brotzmann, Dead Machines, and many similar finds. The quality of dollar bins varies greatly however depending on store and location, which I'm sadly learning now. A lot of records that I'd thought of as dollar records are $4-$6 here in no better shape. Some stores just have too much stock and use that as a way to get rid of it. Also, they take chances on stuff they've never heard of. Other stores just buy what they know, so it's great if you want to pay $40 for a Stooges record, but not so much if you're hoping to find any of the more obscure records you've been look for at a cheap price.

For a while that store was a great way for me to take chances on stuff I'd heard about or even that only looked interesting...and I think I actually made money in the long run selling the ones I ended up not liking. On the other hand, it's left me with a backlogue I still haven't gotten through. Maybe it would have been better to buy one great record for every ten dollar-bin records, but some of the stuff I ended up coming across was worth it for the discovery. I'm not as picky about condition though...I'm at a point where I'm moving around too much to keep stuff in pristine condition, and my criterion for the vinyl itself has always been how well it played...some of those big white surface scratches are almost inaudible. I'd drive myself crazy worrying too much about condition, half of the 'new' mailorder stuff is a far cry from mint. I'm also willing to sell or give something away if I make a mistake. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that all dollar bins aren't just a bunch of rotting Kenny Loggins records.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2006, 10:18 PM   #68
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I buy alot of cd/vinyl secondhand. Infact I don't buy any vinyl brand new actually. I scour secondhand cd and vinyl shop frequently. It's very enjoyable finding something you weren't looking for.
Old 08.24.2006, 02:27 AM   #69
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
A mint original of White Light/White heat will set you back about 60 bucks.
The banana album is the pricey one.

And as far as Fushitsusha goes, you can spend a hell of a lot more than that, especially for vinyl.

What Fushitsusha stuff has been released on vinyl? I think I read that 1st Live has but I've never seen it on any online stores or on ebay even. I imagine that costs some $$$$
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2006, 04:14 AM   #70
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
My vinyl buying(i wouldnt call myself a collector)phase was big in the 80s because i lived with my parents and i had a lot of space to store it.I went through a phase of buying only tapes(that explains my enthusiasm for this format) wich i like even more than vinyl itself.These days i buy almost exclusively cds wich are,technically speaking,better than vinyl itself and easier to store.I rarely buy to collect.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2006, 09:18 AM   #71
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I used to gho to sound exchange and talk to bliss blood about butthole surfers.

Vinal Edge is my favorite now. My birthday is the 29th and I always buy records for my birthday and I am heading out to vinal edge and going rummaging!!!!

I too love 7" singles. I could stay at home, stoned, and play single after single after single. I sometimes take all my 7" singles to parties and DJ from them.
Old 08.24.2006, 10:00 AM   #72
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
What Fushitsusha stuff has been released on vinyl? I think I read that 1st Live has but I've never seen it on any online stores or on ebay even. I imagine that costs some $$$$

i think 1st Live and 2nd Live have been, i can't think of any others off the top of my head though.

if you go here:
http://www.tiliqua-records.com/
go to rare rec catalogue and scroll down to number 89 you can see a copy of 1st Live on vinyl for $150, excahnge rates what they are it isn't an insane amount of money. still, i can't afford it though.
Old 08.24.2006, 10:16 AM   #73
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
$150 is about right. I have seen it go for more than that, but that is a pretty decent market value. I tried to get that one on ebay once, and only went to $100 before backing down.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2006, 10:17 AM   #74
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I go through phases. I'd buy anything that Jamie Stewart had any part in making. I have doubles of almost every record by Xiu Xiu. 4 Devendra Banhart/Xiu Xiu split 7". Both limited edition covers for Fabulous Muscles, etc.

I also have a thing for cds. I have upwards of 600 cds. Not burnt, I must add. And I continue to sell ones that I don't listen to. I'm a bit of an 'idiot' when it comes to saving money. I could very well be saving 120 dollars each check but instead I'm spending like 150 dollars every two weeks on records and cds. Why do I like music?
Old 08.24.2006, 10:18 AM   #75
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I'm a 7" boy as well.
Old 08.24.2006, 10:31 AM   #76
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

really? you're 1" smaller than me then.
Old 08.24.2006, 01:34 PM   #77
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I live in Beaumont which is close to 100 miles East of Houston. Back in the mid to late 80's, I would tune in radio stations KPFT 90.1 and KTRU 91.7 which broadcast from Houston. DJ and record store owner Chuck Roast had two different radio shows that would alternate between the two stations over the years: Fun House and Xenophile. Chuck introduced me to groups like The Hafler Trio, Nurse With Wound, Current 93, Coil, HNAS and many others. I was in high school at the time and these shows would come on in the middle of the night. I would stay up and record some of the music, but mostly Chuck talking every thirty minutes to an hour telling about the groups, album names and labels. Remember, this was back in the day before the internet and Chuck's talking about the records was the only way for me to get any information about the groups. Adding to all the craziness is the fact that Chuck would play two and three records at one time so it was hard to determine what sounds went with what record.

During this time, I had a good friend who started hitting the Houston dance clubs every weekend: 6400, Axiom, NRG & Numbers. I started tagging along and it wasn't long before we started making two or three trips per month to go record shopping in Houston: Infinite, Record Rack, Sound Exchange and eventually - Vinal Edge. We would hear some killer dance 12" mixes at one of the clubs on Friday / Saturday night and then our goal was to track down the records for our collection. "Rigor Mortis" by A Split Second, "Looking From A Hilltop" by Section 25, "Headhunter" by Front 242 and many many others. OH - lets not forget all the Razormiad's that cost a pretty penny, but were well worth it. Anyway, hitting all these different record stores allowed me to start seeing records from groups that I mentioned above. Sound Exchange would cut a small slit in the cellophane around the record and would write some "album / group info" on the back of a business card and slip it in against the record so you could know what you were purchasing. Sound Exchange also had some first rate workers who I will forever be indebted to: thank you Kirk and Bliss Blood. My first noise purchase was The Nightmare Culture record which was a split release of Coil (who called themselves Sickness Of Snakes for this one release) and Current 93, "Dog's Blood Rising" by Current 93, "Tired Eyes Slowly Burning" by The Tear Garden and one of the Manifestation Various Artist CD's that highlighted several of the local avant-noise groups that were from the Houston area. It wasn't long before we made the treck out North to Vinal Edge and this is where I met Chuck for the first time and he has helped guide my music buying ever since.

I have over 2000 CD's, 500 albums and too many 12" records. Over the past eight years, my music buying as come to a screeching halt due to the fact that I'm married with children and kids cost money. OH - I still buy music, but I very rarely ever take a chance on something like I did way back in the day. You know......I don't have a clue as to who this group is, but they are on this label and so & so is on this label so I will take a chance on it. I also stopped my quest of trying to purchase each release my some of my favorite labels just so I could say I had the entire catalog, even though I may not like artist or music.

I have three giant CD towers that I got from Ikea over the years. I also have close to ten of those Ikea CD boxes that are all full. I keep my records in bins and make sure nothing ever sits on top of them. Most of my music collection is alphabetical, but some of it is by catalog number. I keep all my jazz in one place, noise in another and the main stream: Beatles, Dylan, Rush, Genesis in another. I also have two handmade wood crates that store my 7" records. I've purchased too many 7" records over the years, but 7" records are so much fun. Stereolab tour singles totally rock!!!

my story of musical enlightment is uncannily similar to this one, except 10 years later. i grew up in north houston suburbs listening to ktru and chuck's shows. i'm not sure if its still on but when i was in high school he did a show called genetic memory which completely changed my perspective on music. vinal edge was also an important part of my life throughout high school. i started going there everytime i got some cash and bought whatever was recommeneded to me.
i want to visit houston now....
Old 08.24.2006, 04:15 PM   #78
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
really? you're 1" smaller than me then.

Oh, you're a terrible bore.
Old 08.24.2006, 05:26 PM   #79
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

well it was too easy an opportunity to resist, peewee.
Old 08.24.2006, 05:55 PM   #80
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
well it was too easy an opportunity to resist, peewee.

I set it up but I was expecting a much funnier joke.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth