Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Metallica
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2007, 01:02 PM   #41
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I really don't like Metallica. I hate the machoness of it all, in fact I hate the machoness that seems to run through most metal music and its performers. Still I love System of a Down and Black Sabbath, anything else tends to bore the shit out of me....although Slayer's last album kinda rocked.

Heavy Metal musicians have never being known for generally talking or acting like the smartest of people but that still doesn't affect the music when it's good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 01:05 PM   #42
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
They're ruthlessly dull.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 09:24 AM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
S&M was better than expected but yeah.. it smelled.

Some Kind of Monster is amazing. 3 hours long and not a moment wasted!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 09:35 AM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have always been a fan of master of puppets and justice for all, but I had never gotten too into ride the lightning, until my cd player busted in my car and I got the ride the lightning on tape from 1/2 price books for like a dollar and I blasted that shit in my car all loud and it was fucking amazing!
fight fire with fire blows me away
Old 03.20.2007, 09:43 AM   #45
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I loved them up to and including "And Justice For All", saw them play that live and it was fantastic. Then I saw them again touring the Black Album, and suddenly there were very long bass solos and drum solos involved. I went right off them as a result of that.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 02:37 PM   #46
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
I find them ok. But just find it all very similar... Never been a huge fan of thrash metal and all that stuff really... Its seems to be too much about guitar virtuosity more than anything else.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 10:21 AM   #47
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I like them up to the Black Album.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 10:44 AM   #48
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Never liked them. They're listenable but for the rest they're awful.
Old 03.21.2007, 10:53 AM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I like sabbath
Old 03.21.2007, 10:55 AM   #50
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
That's because Sabbath was way better then Metallica.
Old 03.21.2007, 11:05 AM   #51
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
metallica are boooooring. and i hate the way that the alcoholic singer puts an "-ACH!" at the end of every phrase.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 11:09 AM   #52
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
metallica are boooooring. and i hate the way that the alcoholic singer puts an "-ACH!" at the end of every phrase.

hahahaah!!!!!! so true!!!!

However, in 1986 metallica was ANYTHING BUT Boring! If only Cliff had not died....
Old 03.21.2007, 11:19 AM   #53
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
That's because Sabbath was way better then Metallica.

so true
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 11:29 AM   #54
sarramkrop

The saga of useless comparisons goes on. While prefering Sabbath to Metallica is a matter of taste (i love both bands as it happens), it is also true that they are substantially different sounding bands in order to make the silly comaparisons in the first place. Metallica these days are a joke and they have been for quite a number of years, but when they were at the height of their powers, they kicked ass, maaaannnn!!!They RuLEZZZZ Maaannnn!!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 12:22 PM   #55
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I was not comparing. Just threw in sabbath cuz they RUUULLEEE
Old 03.25.2007, 09:56 PM   #56
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
unabashedly great up until the black album, which isn't saying that album
was bad, but eh, you know...kill 'em all, ride the lightning, master of
puppets--all classic. and the riff-freak inside me really likes the
time-signature madness of and justice for all. damn shame about the
bass, though.

Those were all great albums, but I gotta disagree about the bass on Justice. That record proved to me that in thrash metal, you don't need a bass. I like the "thrashiness" of the rhythm guitar and snare drums alone, with the occasional Hammett solo. More raw and scathing that way. I'm probably the only Metallica fan who feels that way.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2007, 09:45 AM   #57
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
What exactly is the problem with later Metallica compared to earlier? Its a thing people talk about in the same way that people talk about other older bands who continue (such as.... Sonic Youth). Is it for the same reasons (I.e. feeling the band has "sold out" or something like that)?
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2007, 10:04 AM   #58
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Those were all great albums, but I gotta disagree about the bass on Justice. That record proved to me that in thrash metal, you don't need a bass. I like the "thrashiness" of the rhythm guitar and snare drums alone, with the occasional Hammett solo. More raw and scathing that way. I'm probably the only Metallica fan who feels that way.

Seriously I don't know whether you've the vinyl version or the CD, but as far as the CD is concerned the production on Justice is ludicrously thin. Puppets sounded ferocious, but Justice sounds flat as hell, even if the playing is as tight as a snake's ass. If only they'd get Rubin or somebody to remaster the thing and put it out on SACD... it'd be a different album.

I'm a big fan of the *early* stuff too - their debut and 'Bonded By Blood' by Exodus are immense examples of early thrash.
Old 03.26.2007, 06:52 PM   #59
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Seriously I don't know whether you've the vinyl version or the CD, but as far as the CD is concerned the production on Justice is ludicrously thin.

That's my point. I think thrash metal should sound thin and trebly. At least on that record, I thought it was great. A bass player was not even needed.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2007, 07:22 PM   #60
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
Shitallica!
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth