Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2016, 12:54 AM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
No dick they charged my debit when i wanted to use the gift card. Im waiting to get my cash back. Why would i be trying to refund the gift card when I'm trying to use the gift card? My broke ass is waiting for my refund before i use the gift card on radiohead and possibly not get refund and so have bought it twice.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 12:56 AM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Nah, as a musician myself I'm pretty sure he's the least talented member of the band

Thom is no more than 1/5 of the reason for Radiohead's greatness..
go home you're drunker than pepper green tonight

Old 05.09.2016, 01:37 AM   #23
>TNS<
little trouble girl

>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses>TNS< kicks all y'all's asses
In my opinion Radiohead stopped being great after Kid A. I will listen to the new album, but to be honest, I expect it to be as flat as the previous ones.
And I agree that the vocals (delivery and vocal melodies) are a weak link nowdays. It feels bland beyond belief -- there are exceptions ofcourse, for example Life in a Glass House. Becoming more of an instrumental driven band could be a way forward. Just keep a tight vocal part, and explore the instrumental side more, since the musicianship is still there.
>TNS< is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 09:15 AM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
No dick they charged my debit when i wanted to use the gift card. Im waiting to get my cash back. Why would i be trying to refund the gift card when I'm trying to use the gift card? My broke ass is waiting for my refund before i use the gift card on radiohead and possibly not get refund and so have bought it twice.

I know! I know what happened! But you ARE getting the refund, so I just thought, why not use the gift card? It's not like you can do anything else with it.

Anyway, never goddamn mind.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 09:50 AM   #25
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I know! I know what happened! But you ARE getting the refund, so I just thought, why not use the gift card? It's not like you can do anything else with it.

Anyway, never goddamn mind.
Refund don't exist until money is in my account. What else i can do is buy another album insteas of getting same album twice. Then i will get the new Radiohead immediately. I acknowledged the Costanza level so Only God can Judge Me yo

Old 05.09.2016, 10:13 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Refund don't exist until money is in my account. What else i can do is buy another album insteas of getting same album twice. Then i will get the new Radiohead immediately. I acknowledged the Costanza level so Only God can Judge Me yo

I hear you man, I just can't imagine that you're *that* broke. Anyway, hopefully the refund becomes legit today, since it's Monday and banks are in business. Then you can use the gift card ASAP to buy the album so you can talk about it with us.

Speaking of the album, who wants to talk about the album?

Loving "Ful Stop" ... And "Burn the Witch" really works as the album opener. I like it more now. That video creeped me out. The song without the video is thrumming and propulsive.

This is why I don't watch videos. Why did I forget that?
Old 05.09.2016, 11:40 AM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I hear you man, I just can't imagine that you're *that* broke. Anyway, hopefully the refund becomes legit today, since it's Monday and banks are in business. Then you can use the gift card ASAP to buy the album so you can talk about it with us.

Loving "Ful Stop" ... And "Burn the Witch" really works as the album opener. I like it more now. That video creeped me out. The song without the video is thrumming and propulsive.

This is why I don't watch videos. Why did I forget that?
I was working as a sub all year cuz i lost my job last year meanwhile paying cash for grad school. Oh yeah and i don't work over summer cuz finding part-time summer job has been literally impossible so i stopped trying. So yeah. I am indeed THAT broke.

Old 05.09.2016, 12:22 PM   #28
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I think this youtube comment will kick off the discussion you've been craving:

Its sooooo gay. lol!

JK. It rulez!

(Hope that helps.)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 02:19 PM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was working as a sub all year cuz i lost my job last year meanwhile paying cash for grad school. Oh yeah and i don't work over summer cuz finding part-time summer job has been literally impossible so i stopped trying. So yeah. I am indeed THAT broke.

I'm sorry to hear that. I thought you were teaching full time. I know grad school is expensive as all hell. I don't know how you're covering it with just subbing, but if you've been able to do so thus far, that's impressive. Good for you.

I subbed for a while this year (again) while I was looking for work, after spending the summer renovating a house. The pay was insulting. I made more as a TA in grad school (you know, before I screwed that up). Charter schools are popping up all over, and the public school system is just scraping by, while its teachers go years and years without raises. I'm very lucky to have found the job I now have. Kicks my ass but it pays the bills.

No disrespect intended.
Old 05.09.2016, 02:20 PM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I think this youtube comment will kick off the discussion you've been craving:

Its sooooo gay. lol!

JK. It rulez!

(Hope that helps.)

Nope, but it was pretty funny.

Do you seriously have nothing to say about this album?
Old 05.09.2016, 02:43 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I thought you were teaching full time. I know grad school is expensive as all hell. I don't know how you're covering it with just subbing, but if you've been able to do so thus far, that's impressive. Good for you.

I subbed for a while this year (again) while I was looking for work, after spending the summer renovating a house. The pay was insulting. I made more as a TA in grad school (you know, before I screwed that up). Charter schools are popping up all over, and the public school system is just scraping by, while its teachers go years and years without raises. I'm very lucky to have found the job I now have. Kicks my ass but it pays the bills.

No disrespect intended.
I didn't feel disrespected at all. I picked up a long term position for final quarter so at least getting some extra money but got to pay past bills before radiohead. Hoping to pick up full time position next September. I was previously worked on emergency cred so i went back to university getting my full cred in three weeks.

As to how i pulled off paying for this shit? Our good Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

Old 05.09.2016, 03:55 PM   #32
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
With all the pretentious HYPE, I wasn't going to bother with it at all. Then I read a few things that made me somewhat intrigued, most notably:

Alan Sparhawk: "Really moved by the two new Radiohead songs. Admittedly jealous, but mostly inspired."

So I listened to the track, "Burn The Witch," and I was much better off just being intrigued......

Fond Memories Of The 1984 Version
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 03:57 PM   #33
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
I am liking the album. Only 2 legitimate full listens though where I could truly digest it.

And yes, True Love Waits is a little odd to hear as a "recorded" song now. Not sure how to take it either. Part of me wants to say, "no, this is not right" for some odd reason. Something is just a little...I don't know...offputting about it right now. But yet, it still kicks total ass at the same time.

I would be very interested in seeing some of this live for certain. Especially Ful Stop and Desert Island Disk so far.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 04:55 PM   #34
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
"... and thom yorke bangs on a single piano key like a tortured genius" - adam cooley

all i have to say about this band which should have quit in 2002 and deleted half their back catalogue
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 05:14 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
"... and thom yorke bangs on a single piano key like a tortured genius" - adam cooley

all i have to say about this band which should have quit in 2002 and deleted half their back catalogue

Old 05.09.2016, 06:30 PM   #36
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
With all the pretentious HYPE, I wasn't going to bother with it at all.

This has tainted the band for me since OK Computer was released with nearly the fanfare of the second coming. I'm not sure how much to blame the band. They promote, but it's probably writers who take it to the next, absurd level. Anyway, they are a fine band, but the fact that I keep getting told so triggers resistance in me. Haven't listened to an entire album since Amnesiac, even though someday I will and I'm sure I'll find things to like. Just not now.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 06:56 PM   #37
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Kid A gave me intense chill bumps when it first came out. skip Amnesiac to Hail to the Thief which is a good album too.

yeah I like Radiohead sometimes. shit man, even King of Limps was a little intense.

so you know what that means: I'll check this new album when I goddamn please. no rush.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 07:34 PM   #38
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nah, as a musician myself I'm pretty sure he's the least talented member of the band. He's still integral, but I think it's insane to say that he "is" Radiohead. Radiohead functions as a unit. They're like a machine. An incredibly efficient band. Thom is no more than 1/5 of the reason for Radiohead's greatness.

And again, you keep talking as though I'm advocating removing him completely, which I'm not. You keep saying "imagine [song] without Thom" ... But that's not what's being discussed. Imagine if with a little less singing. That's all I'm getting at.

you have this great way of telling the truth with a dash of contradiction to let your opinions slide but count as void. you're perfectly aware of this I know cause you do it with almost every post. it's the most human acceptable thing we do everyday. it's ok. I do it too.
Old 05.09.2016, 07:56 PM   #39
pepper_green
Banned

the album will def get less positive reviews by blogging hipsters than the last Bieber or Beyonce album.

they'll say things like: "...and thom yorke bangs on a single piano key like a tortured genius". now, no harm done. that saying was beyond it's time. a trendsetter remark or random comment if you will; back in the day of good ol 2009 but; times have surely changed. 2016!!! it's tight pants and popist cool.
Old 05.09.2016, 08:49 PM   #40
Severian
invito al cielo

I've been buying Radiohead albums as soon as they come out, and digesting them with equal parts uncertainty and awe since 1995. I can't really understand the general lack of appreciation for Hail to the Thief, but I know what it's like to be in that, "God fucking dammit, another album I'm supposed to think is brilliant for some reason" state of mind.

I think the press is to blame for the over-saturation of Ok Computer. It's almost as if the world failed to notice that REM made the same basic statement with New Adventures in HiFi before OKC was even a thing. I think very little of that album stands the test of time, but that's got a lot to do with everyone insisting that it's "perfect" (it isn't). Yet "Paranoid Android," "Airbag," and possibly most notably "Karma Police" all really do hold up.

Kid a was hyped to high heaven too, and its legacy has suffered because of that hype. Best album of the 2000's? No goddamn way. But it's the bits that don't get a lot of attention that make it special for me... the ambient bits, the jazzy drums on the title track, the horns and other strange arrangements. It's a good album.

Amnesiac was flawed.

Hail to he Thief should have been given the OKC treatment. How can you argue with "Myxomatosis?"

Anyway, I am still processing the new one but it's got a lot of pleasant and likeable stuff on it. Not sure if I prefer it to TKOL from the basement, but I'm only just starting to get the hang of it.

I'm pleased, I'll tell you that. I am happy with this release. New Radiohead and Pj Harvey in the same year is pretty awesome.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth