Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2016, 12:25 PM   #19701
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the original of course. i'm slightly obsessive about chronologies. i watched the hills have eyes because the evil dead pointed at it.

still trying to find the original piranha which is buried due to licensing issues (not sure what). funny thing it's joe dante who did gremlins.

anyway, i have lined up for some time soon:
1- bela lugosi's "dracula"
followed by
2 - the zucker brothers' "dracula, dead and loving it" (w/ leslie nielsen).
gotta have the original before the parody

now i'm looking for the 1978 invasion of the body snatchers but i think it's another case of nowhere to be found.

ah ha ha politically correct horror films. i'm all for redress and social change but those fuckers were cannibals. sure sure, radiation, mutation, sun ra are all around them but the point of the movie is the stupids vs. the wild.

that dog was awesome btw.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2016, 12:56 PM   #19702
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the original of course. i'm slightly obsessive about

now i'm looking for the 1978 invasion of the body snatchers but i think it's another case of nowhere to be found.

that dog was awesome btw.

http://www.myduckisdead.org/2014/09/...78-philip.html
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2016, 02:03 PM   #19703
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

still trying to find the original piranha which is buried due to licensing issues (not sure what). ... now i'm looking for the 1978 invasion of the body snatchers but i think it's another case of nowhere to be found.

That's just weird. Both of them are really easy to get here, and very cheap. Not sure what's going on in the US. As you say, must be some sort of licensing issue.
Also, if you get the chance, try and see Abel Ferarra's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Really underrated.
Quote:
the original of course.

I love that film. The scene where they set the dad on fire and the smoke comes out of his mouth is genuinely shocking.

I do think the family are deliberately made to be quite unsympathetic but not to the extent that we ever really consider siding with the cannibals. But then I don't think the film's really about the cannibals at all, as much as how 'civilised' society can descend into violence of its own when provoked. That seemed to be Wes Cravens big thing back then. It's all over Last House on the Left and sort of there in Nightmare on Elm Street (the parents killing Freddie). He had a social point; he just didn't beat you over the head with it the way the remake does.

Another Fulci last night ...

Zombie Flesheaters aka Zombi 2

Shameless attempt to cash in on Dawn of the Dead but it involves a zombie actually wrestling with a real (albeit apparently drugged) shark. One of the most ludicrously brilliant scenes I've ever seen in any film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADharbFwkk

Also, Fulci's zombies looked much better than Romero's

Fulci:

Romero:

Lucio Fulci. Fuck the rest.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2016, 03:29 PM   #19704
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo

wow-- thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That's just weird. Both of them are really easy to get here, and very cheap. Not sure what's going on in the US. As you say, must be some sort of licensing issue--[etc]

netflix dvd doesn't carry it (it's in my queue with "availability--unknown") and amazon stream doesn't have it either-- they sell the disc but don't stream it (and i don't buy discs). amazon has the '56 version which is what i saw. i do have the abel ferrara saved to my watchlist, but waiting for 78' first cuz cuz cuz... it was first! or something. yeah im crazy.

funny thing i didn't find hills have eyes scary at all (i already said that) but the evil dead made me scream a few times. i even spilled whiskey on myself haaa haaa haaa. even if you know shit's coming and you expect it, somehow the surprise still works and it's like "AAAAAA" and then i'm laughing

i don't know much about wes craven but here in 'merica violence is not much of a "descent". i mean, it's everywhere. the dad is a cop and got a "howitzer" as a parting gift. the dog itself killed a poodle and they had to pay vet bills for a dead dog remember? i don't think they mean to be "civlized" like a bunch of elois. how can i put it-- to me, it's not straw dogs. ha ha, straw dogs. now there dustin hoffmann finally "descends". but the gringo travelers here were already descended i think.

i should check out fulci! holy shit what a backlog. i'm gonna have to carry my horror festival into november.
Old 10.03.2016, 04:48 PM   #19705
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
By 'descent' I just meant revealing something under the surface, but if you remember, their two dogs are called Beauty and Beast, so maybe 'duality' is a better description. I remember reading somewhere that Craven's only request for the remake was that it retain the two dogs and not change their names as he felt they were key to understanding the nature of the family.

Given what we've been talking about, you should see the remake. It has its problems but isn't a bad film by any means, and its only real problem is the way it makes so explicit what the original deals with implicitly. Not that the original is exactly subtle.
Old 10.03.2016, 05:03 PM   #19706
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yes i remember noticing the dog names and SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER beauty dies and of course beast not just survives but saves them. "beauty died hours ago" lololol. END SPOILERS

i might not wanna see it for a while though. crowded season. maybe next year! cuz fulci and der todesking and nekromantic and the various cat people editions and all kinds of stuff.

also TV shows like
true dick 2
penny dreadful 3
the strain 2
walking dead 33 1/3

need more tv time! ha ha ha.
Old 10.04.2016, 11:59 PM   #19707
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Zombie Flesheaters aka Zombi 2

Shameless attempt to cash in on Dawn of the Dead but it involves a zombie actually wrestling with a real (albeit apparently drugged) shark. One of the most ludicrously brilliant scenes I've ever seen in any film.

Have you seen Zombie Flesh Eaters 2? I love that film.

Last thing I saw was Under the Shadow, creepiest horror film I've seen in YEARS.
Save
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2016, 12:26 AM   #19708
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

THIRST was great

at times a little slow or hard to follow but that's chan-wook park. beautiful beautiful shots and always something unexpected are kind of his signature. i just love his visual language.

Old 10.05.2016, 01:14 AM   #19709
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Have you seen Zombie Flesh Eaters 2? I love that film.

Last thing I saw was Under the Shadow, creepiest horror film I've seen in YEARS.
Save

No, I haven't seen the sequel. I keep meaning to but it's pretty expensive so I keep getting other things.

I hadn't heard of Under the Shadow. Just looked it up. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!
Old 10.05.2016, 04:19 AM   #19710
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Zombie flesh eaters 2 is more like a comedic so-bad-it's-good type. If you like this i'd recommend Nightmare City. It has one of the most ludicrous endings of any movie in the history of cinema.

Something more akin to Fulcis original would be The Living Dead or The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue as it's sometimes known as. Nails the Fulci atmosphere. Actually, looking at release dates this predates any Fulci zombi..

Flesh Eaters 2 is 1 pund 50 at cex
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 06:08 AM   #19711
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I didn't know about CEX but just had a look, Thanks!

Nightmare City and Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue are both great.
Old 10.06.2016, 10:00 AM   #19712
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
THIRST was great

at times a little slow or hard to follow but that's chan-wook park. beautiful beautiful shots and always something unexpected are kind of his signature. i just love his visual language.

I will watch this now. Based on this still alone. Wowza!
Thank you sir
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 10:04 AM   #19713
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I love the look of Fulci's zombies. Actually scary.
Old 10.06.2016, 07:39 PM   #19714
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And yeah, there is that mutual appreciation thing in a lot of horror. I like it. It's a bit like bands wearing t shirts of other bands on stage. There'a sense of community in horror that, for whatever reason, I don't see as much in other genres.

Horror definitely has that sense of community, and feeling of filmmakers are fans of other filmmakers work. In Nightmare on Elm Street '84 there's the scene where "Evil Dead" is on the television, then on Evil Dead 2 there is the appearance of the Freddy glove.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 09:39 PM   #19715
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Horror definitely has that sense of community, and feeling of filmmakers are fans of other filmmakers work. In Nightmare on Elm Street '84 there's the scene where "Evil Dead" is on the television, then on Evil Dead 2 there is the appearance of the Freddy glove.

I think this is also present in science fiction films, though it's perhaps not quite as intimate. More like references to Star Trek on LOST, or cinemographic odes to iconic films and directors... simple scenes framed or vistas framed in a decidedly "Kubrick" fashion, or what have you.
Old 10.06.2016, 09:48 PM   #19716
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LifeDistortion again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 11:14 PM   #19717
Severian
invito al cielo

I have plans to watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness before Halloween. You mention the Freddie glove and all I want to do is watch some Evil Dead.
Old 10.07.2016, 07:07 AM   #19718
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I love the look of Fulci's zombies. Actually scary.

I think it's because with Romero the whole point is that the humans are ultimately always far scarier than the zombies. Fulci wasn't interested in that kind of social point so was free to make his zombies as scary as his imagination (and budget) would allow. Not to say there isn't large doses of silliness in films like Zombie Flesheaters but its never intentional or ironic.
Old 10.07.2016, 07:42 AM   #19719
Severian
invito al cielo

Did anyone else think the 2014 Evil Dead "remake" was actually... not half bad?
Certainly it lacked a lot of the lovable absurdity of the original films, but I think it kind of pulled it off anyway.
Old 10.07.2016, 11:11 AM   #19720
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Did anyone else think the 2014 Evil Dead "remake" was actually... not half bad?
Certainly it lacked a lot of the lovable absurdity of the original films, but I think it kind of pulled it off anyway.

I wont fox with on principle.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
886936976983984985 986 98798898999610361086 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth