Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page cool records by otherwise lame bands...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.25.2008, 07:58 PM   #21
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Their debut album, when Paul Di'Anno was their vocalist. The follow-up Killers was alright, but then Di'Anno left and Bruce Dickinson became their singer and they went on to do that power-metal sort of stuff.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 07:59 PM   #22
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
weezer made some great tracks, but never a fill record. say it aint so is still nerd pop at its absolute best. i fucking love that song.
All the songs on Blue album kick ass! It's one of the most consistent albums in my collection.
Old 04.25.2008, 08:00 PM   #23
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Foo Fighter's first album rocks. It's essentially a Dave solo album.

that and and also a fan of There is Nothing Left to Lose

after that Dave just lost it
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 08:09 PM   #24
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I prefer Colour and the Shape to There is Nothing Left to Lose. Generator was my first favourite song though.
Old 04.25.2008, 08:57 PM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Their debut album, when Paul Di'Anno was their vocalist. The follow-up Killers was alright, but then Di'Anno left and Bruce Dickinson became their singer and they went on to do that power-metal sort of stuff.

iron maiden is fucking amazing. killers, s/t, number of the beast, all fucking brilliantly goofy power metal records. even their new shit is decent! dickinson wipes for floor with di'anno.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 09:05 PM   #26
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Nah I'm not really an Iron Maiden fan. Too cheesy for my liking.
Old 04.25.2008, 09:29 PM   #27
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Nah I'm not really an Iron Maiden fan. Too cheesy for my liking.
Then listen to the early stuff, which isn't as cheesy as the stuff you've probably heard.
Old 04.25.2008, 09:31 PM   #28
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
awesome.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 10:13 PM   #29
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
theyre cheesily awesome. whatever happened to just having fun and rocking out and not worrying about things like "cheesy"?

listen to pink reason
Old 04.25.2008, 10:19 PM   #30
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

There's nothing wrong with cheesy, I like some of the cheesy Iron Maiden songs, but overall I don't like that much of their output.
Old 04.25.2008, 10:28 PM   #31
batreleaser
invito al cielo

fair enough

listen to pink reason
Old 04.25.2008, 10:37 PM   #32
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i agree that i like maiden more with dianno than dickinson although i have tons of respect for bruce, he's a very very intellingent person.

that said, my favorite maiden album is powerslave.

---

new york loose - s/t
heavy as hell pop punk, un-riot grrrl 90's female punk; even ventured to slower, effects driven songs and always catchy. guitars like lawnmowers and simple, easy to identify lyrics. also the best cover of vu's "sunday morning" i've heard.

beirut - gulag orkestar
i love it, symphonic pop with just enough balkan influenced intervals to make it sound exotic, but mostly because the songs and arrangements kill. the second album is pretty boring and forgettable.

bikini kill - the singles
ok, i'm cheating; their best songs, their best version of their best song and their best produced shit. and totally fun.

poison the well - you come before you
the most forced hardcore band ever, forcing heavy, throat-scrapping parts with saccharine-filled stadium rock emo tunefulness done bad. for this record, they flew to sweden to record where refused did the shape of punk to come and actually pulled themselves together to write an album that blurs metal and punk into an original and deadly combination.

dillinger escape plan - calculating infinity
although their previous eps and irony is a dead scene are fantastic, their full lenght discog starts and ends here.

mr. bungle - disco volante
a masterpiece, a spazztic, genre hopping album that feels completely organic and it's quirky but at the same time scary, brutal and beautiful.

the clash - s/t
they were brilliant doing three chord ragers with slogans for choruses, but they gotten beaten by the genre-hopping bug and the multiple-disc-albums-that-could-be-great-in-a-single-disc bug.

ani difranco - dilate
she locked her toneless feminist propaganda shit to actually write good songs about her own life backed by the hardest riffs one can summon from a funked up, tuned down acoustic guitar.

the used - s/t
all the songs in this one are a winner; catchy, raging, sad, derivative enough but not too much. then their beginner's luck ran out.

dashboard confessional - the swiz army romance
the worst things someone could give chris carraba were professional studios and electric guitars. thankfully, he managed to record one proper album at least.

dream theater - awake
the only one where they wrote good (yet intricate) songs and used their virtuosic playing in the service of said songs. castratto vocals and cheesy keyboards notwithstanding.

wolf eyes (with anthony braxton) - black vomit
their noisiest, most intense and funniest release ever in a sea of mediocrity.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 10:44 PM   #33
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh fuck, totally forgot Weezer! I also kinda like Bikini Kill's "reject all american" and a few Jack Off Jill songs! Let's not forget the humor factor of stuff like Coal Chamber as well. "LO-CO! LO-CO!"

every bikini kill record is golden!

the first two green day records are awesome.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 10:49 PM   #34
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i totally agree with you about dillinger, i fucking hate both their last two full lengths. i mean, theyre pulling a napalm death on us, pretty soon there wont be one original member left in that band.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.25.2008, 10:52 PM   #35
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i agree that i like maiden more with dianno than dickinson although i have tons of respect for bruce, he's a very very intellingent person.

that said, my favorite maiden album is powerslave.

---

new york loose - s/t
heavy as hell pop punk, un-riot grrrl 90's female punk; even ventured to slower, effects driven songs and always catchy. guitars like lawnmowers and simple, easy to identify lyrics. also the best cover of vu's "sunday morning" i've heard.

beirut - gulag orkestar
i love it, symphonic pop with just enough balkan influenced intervals to make it sound exotic, but mostly because the songs and arrangements kill. the second album is pretty boring and forgettable.

bikini kill - the singles
ok, i'm cheating; their best songs, their best version of their best song and their best produced shit. and totally fun.

poison the well - you come before you
the most forced hardcore band ever, forcing heavy, throat-scrapping parts with saccharine-filled stadium rock emo tunefulness done bad. for this record, they flew to sweden to record where refused did the shape of punk to come and actually pulled themselves together to write an album that blurs metal and punk into an original and deadly combination.

dillinger escape plan - calculating infinity
although their previous eps and irony is a dead scene are fantastic, their full lenght discog starts and ends here.

mr. bungle - disco volante
a masterpiece, a spazztic, genre hopping album that feels completely organic and it's quirky but at the same time scary, brutal and beautiful.

the clash - s/t
they were brilliant doing three chord ragers with slogans for choruses, but they gotten beaten by the genre-hopping bug and the multiple-disc-albums-that-could-be-great-in-a-single-disc bug.

ani difranco - dilate
she locked her toneless feminist propaganda shit to actually write good songs about her own life backed by the hardest riffs one can summon from a funked up, tuned down acoustic guitar.

the used - s/t
all the songs in this one are a winner; catchy, raging, sad, derivative enough but not too much. then their beginner's luck ran out.

dashboard confessional - the swiz army romance
the worst things someone could give chris carraba were professional studios and electric guitars. thankfully, he managed to record one proper album at least.

dream theater - awake
the only one where they wrote good (yet intricate) songs and used their virtuosic playing in the service of said songs. castratto vocals and cheesy keyboards notwithstanding.

wolf eyes (with anthony braxton) - black vomit
their noisiest, most intense and funniest release ever in a sea of mediocrity.

i used to like the first ptw record many many years ago. i think they were straight edge at the time too. i saw them live so many times too, since they are from florida.
Old 04.25.2008, 10:55 PM   #36
uhler
invito al cielo

oh yeah, batreleaser, your sig. picture is awesome. that used to be my myspace picture for a little bit about 3 years ago. people got a kick out of it.
Old 04.25.2008, 11:05 PM   #37
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i totally agree with you about dillinger, i fucking hate both their last two full lengths. i mean, theyre pulling a napalm death on us, pretty soon there wont be one original member left in that band.

ahh fuck it man!!! you hit the nail right in the head!!! about ire works i've said "they just one to be faith no more now, greg is soon going to start rapping" but the napalm comparison is completely more appropiate. released a classic, genre-(re)defining album, then have kicked a bunch of essential members of the band and release mediocre, crowd "pleasing" albums.

i can bet you ben is going to quit the band in the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i used to like the first ptw record many many years ago. i think they were straight edge at the time too. i saw them live so many times too, since they are from florida.

other than you come before you, the song i absolutely love by ptw is "my mirror no longer reflects". they almost seem like another band on that one.

----

i have another one:

agnostic front - victim in pain
the ONLY proper af album that destroys all the way through; it's so inspired, so influential and so essential that you might overlook that most of what they have played or written sucks badly and/or is derivative (other than the united blood ep, but that's like a seven-inch). i actually consider agnostic front one of my favorite hardcore bands because of this record only.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 11:12 PM   #38
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Mesh Gear Fox's second album
Old 04.25.2008, 11:15 PM   #39
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth's Rather Ripped
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2008, 11:17 PM   #40
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

pbradley's "The Self Promotion EP feat. Circus Man Sam"

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth