Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Big Brother racism scandal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2007, 04:04 PM   #121
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
So true.I personally don't really think that Jade Goody is seriously racist and i don't find her comments anymore different than the myriad comments and outbursts from so many people i hear making them on a regular basis but(guess what?)go on to marry or whatever another person from a different country.The whole racism issue is a very complex thing in Britain and i don't find British people to be anymore or any less racist than anyone else.My anger comes more from the vicious tactics of the press in this country.

Edit-Hip Priest

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 04:06 PM   #122
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
They still made the comments in the first place for the media to then use to their advantage.
Old 01.19.2007, 04:12 PM   #123
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
They still made the comments in the first place for the media to then use to their advantage.
True.It's ever so questionable to make comments like that in a tv setting or not but ignorance plays a bit part in it and the British press has its own huge share of blame to take which,inevitably,will go amiss.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:14 PM   #124
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's not the odd comment that's the problem, but the sustained bullying of a person by a group of people, which seems to be based on that person's race.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 04:25 PM   #125
porkmarras
invito al cielo

The bullying issue in Britain is another can of worms that i rarely see confronted with brutal realism.It doesn't involve just race or sex but also things like compatibility between individuals.Throw in a nation that is literally drowning with notions of humor(even though most people i ask can't define british humor better than i do) and there's an explosive mix of misunderstanding horror.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:37 PM   #126
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Jade's out and in tears.All hell will now break loose.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:39 PM   #127
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
http://media.smh.com.au/?rid=17645

People are fucking lame.
Old 01.19.2007, 04:40 PM   #128
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras

The right choice. I'm pretty sure I'd be scared too, in her position. Let's hope her apology was genuine.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 04:44 PM   #129
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I think it's not the odd comment that's the problem, but the sustained bullying of a person by a group of people, which seems to be based on that person's race.

I thiink that's very true. Jo should be highlighted here; she might not have made so many racist comments herself, but as the person who is happy to relax in that company and laugh along, I think she represents a fair proportion of England's guilty parties.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:48 PM   #130
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I seriously don't think she should be made a martyr or anything because that would only increase the potential damage made to the individual more than anything.I really don't think she is racist but she talks in the same sort of aggressive way that some south londoners do.I'm just a bit sad that the bridge she could have walked is now littered with granades put there by the media.This is all more sad than anything.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:49 PM   #131
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I thiink that's very true. Jo should be highlighted here; she might not have made so many racist comments herself, but as the person who is happy to relax in that company and laugh along, I think she represents a fair proportion of England's guilty parties.
No No No!There is a fair amount of London speech that we're missing there.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:52 PM   #132
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Can you remember anything specific? I'd like to know what I was oblivious to.

Old 01.19.2007, 04:55 PM   #133
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
I seriously don't think she should be made a martyr or anything because that would only increase the potential damage made to the individual more than anything.I really don't think she is racist but she talks in the same sort of aggressive way that some south londoners do.I'm just a bit sad that the bridge she could have walked is now littered with granades put there by the media.This is all more sad than anything.

No doubt. The more racist comments didn't come until she had already fallen out with Shilpa; if she had fallen out with Danielle then there would no doubt have been the usual comments about scousers.

Sections of the media will do all they can to ensure that there will be no peaceful resolution to this.

Old 01.19.2007, 05:00 PM   #134
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
No doubt. The more racist comments didn't come until she had already fallen out with Shilpa; if she had fallen out with Danielle then there would no doubt have been the usual comments about scousers.

Sections of the media will do all they can to ensure that there will be no peaceful resolution to this.
Well,you always make perfect sense Hip Priest.That's what i'm aiming at.People say some atrocious things but you know that they don't mean it and they'd be a model of good humanity when it comes to facing 'otherness'.

Old 01.19.2007, 05:06 PM   #135
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

That's why I think the media have been wrong to focus so much on the racism aspect. For people like JAde the racism is just a means of exaggerating the bullying, which is the core issue in my opinion.

The real positive coming from tonight's eviction is that the many people being bullied, under whatever pretence (race/religion/choice of music &c), may feel that there's more support than they thought. If used right, what has happened in BB might just be a catalyst for continuing debate and some real action. But the words 'wishfull' and 'thinking' come to mind, and in all likelihood the whole thing will have been dropped for something new in a couple of weeks. Perhaps a film star will be take some drugs, or wear a dress or something...

Old 01.19.2007, 05:36 PM   #136
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I think the whole issue of bullying is a sore point more than the racism in this case.In more cases than not there is an element that encourages it from any party involved and (whichever the downward spiral it takes,)t will embrace any sort of aspect of the individual anyone might feel like picking on.Hell simply breaks into the mind of the victim and everything becomes too hard to be kept at bay and therefore accepted as a normal/abnormal thing to deal/live with.

Old 01.19.2007, 07:08 PM   #137
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeah Fuck Her. Bullyng racist slag.
Old 01.19.2007, 10:36 PM   #138
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I totally agree, Jade Goody isnt the antichrist of this situation, from what ive seen she has had problems with Shilpa full stop. The other two have said bad comments as well. At the end of the day i think alot of people whove seen this feel as though they SHOULD be outraged, whereas in reality its just been stupid racist comments by some girls who didnt like a certain person, just cos of what she was like not her race.

Im really reluctant to label people racist for saying out of turn comments, because if the person in the house was an Indian who those girls were more able to get on with, then they would have done so, the problem was the individual personality clash. If they were truly racist then they would have turned against any Asian on the programme, and i think they just didnt like her full stop, nothing to do with race.

Of course, the comments made were grotesque and wrong, they should apologise for this and state how they really feel, and the bullying was unpleasent. But firstly, i dont think they are racist, theyre just really thick and unaware of how their comments can be seen, and secondly bullying on this programme has happened ever since its inception; The WHOLE PROGRAMME is about people tuning in to watch conflict, thats the main reason its popular.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2007, 07:58 AM   #139
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Sums things up nicely:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/col...cle2169216.ece
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2007, 08:15 AM   #140
porkmarras
invito al cielo

The best article i have read in ages.Spot on to the power of a million winds.Thanks pookie!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth