Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans for starters
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
So... my consciousness is heavy, for not knowing Swans music. What record you guys recommend for a starter?
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 09:27 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
COP for the hard stuff.
WHITE LIGHT IN THE MOUTH OF INFINITY for everything else.

imo.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 09:28 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
great idea for a thread. I'm mostly in the same boat.
Old 11.05.2010, 09:42 AM   #4
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
I actually think that 2010's My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky is a great entry point, because it's awesome, because there's nothing quite like it on Swans' discography and also because there's those Portugal gigs coming up (you're probably thinking of going, eh? :P), on which they will focus mostly on that album. Anyway, if you prefer to start with some of their earlier work (a good option to fully understand the greatness and evolution os Swans' music), I'd say that you should hear Children of God and then move forwards or backwards, depending on which "side" (slow/heavy or more melodic) you prefer.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 10:16 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Everything up to Children of God is a must. I never really got into anything after that but I know some here rate it very highly. If you can only get one though, get Cop.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Children of God
Cop
Soundtracks for the Blind
Filth

The only one I don't really like, and mainly because of its production, is The Burning World. It does have some excellent songs on it, and some of the arrangements are superb, but overall I think the way it's been produced doesn't suit the songs.

Also, give Angels of Light and Jarboe solo a go.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 10:41 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
angels of light

Old 11.05.2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by washer
I actually think that 2010's My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky is a great entry point, because it's awesome, because there's nothing quite like it on Swans' discography and also because there's those Portugal gigs coming up (you're probably thinking of going, eh? :P), on which they will focus mostly on that album. Anyway, if you prefer to start with some of their earlier work (a good option to fully understand the greatness and evolution os Swans' music), I'd say that you should hear Children of God and then move forwards or backwards, depending on which "side" (slow/heavy or more melodic) you prefer.

I'm going to the Porto gig. I already missed Mão Morta and Pop Dell'Arte (OMFG) (btw, do you know if they sing Juramento sem Bandeira in duo with MM?), i can't miss another cosmic event.

I will probably start with Children of God, and then start from the beginning. thanks everyone
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 11:43 AM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

highly reccomend mark prindle's swans reviews

Old 11.05.2010, 05:36 PM   #11
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
the "various failures 1988-1992" comp. is by far the most accessible you're going to get from them (that and "the burning world" i guess.) you're good with starting at "children of god" and then going to the early stuff, just don't miss out on the latter stuff either. "white light...", "the great annihilator", and the "swans are dead" live album are my favorites (and the swans at the peak of their powers imo.)

all of their albums are at least good, honestly.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 06:18 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I like all their ablums to an extent, but not all thier songs. their black eyed dog cover is maybe the worst thing ever...

Old 11.05.2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
While I admire the earlier stuff for what it was, and what it was embodies some of the most original music to emerge in the wake of punk rock, Children of God for me is the crowning achievement. Taking that original formula and bringing Jarboe's haunting presence on board was unparalleled. I like the stuff afterward, but the edge did start to dull a bit.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Clyde Cat
empty page

Clyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's assesClyde Cat kicks all y'all's asses
It depends what you are looking for. If you want raw, pounding nihlism, go for Filth and Cop. Holy Money and Children of God are both great albums if you want something a bit more developed. Their newest album is also a pretty great album and somewhat accessible by their standards.

I started off with White Light, but it took my a bit to get into it. You sort of just have to start off with any of the albums mentioned; it might take some time to dig some of their stuff but once you do it's like nothing else.
Clyde Cat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 09:43 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I irrationally wrote them off after Children of God. I really should give their stuff post that a try.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 11:02 PM   #16
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
It depends what mood I'm in.. but i loved Greed.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2010, 03:37 AM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
anything from filth, raping a slave is a good one.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2010, 05:23 AM   #18
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard very little Swans I didn't enjoy. They are a bit like the Youth, a solid opinion can't really be made on the band unless giving several albums a chance.

Was listening to "Feel Good Now" not too incredibly long ago. A fantastic documentation of live Swans.
Old 11.06.2010, 05:56 AM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
The thing with Swans is that they really take the living part of things nothing less than very seriously. Their lyrics alone touch on so many subjects others will only hint at in a way that makes you believe they were truly part of it. They have mechanisms of making their songs work I've only found in certain theatre, stuff like Sarah Kane, or the more punishing moments of some Pasolini films.
Old 11.06.2010, 06:06 AM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

In short, they know how to wipe that smile off your face.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth