Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shakespeare
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2009, 04:10 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
yr favorites?

obviously mine is Julius Caesar..

"Such men are dangerous.." act 1 scene 2

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I posted this in the science thread so it's on my mind:

Macbeth:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yr favorites?

obviously mine is Julius Caesar..

"Such men are dangerous.." act 1 scene 2

Origin of your name?
Old 10.03.2009, 04:19 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Origin of your name?
in a way I am sure..

directly:

Old 10.03.2009, 04:20 PM   #5
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
Hamlet:

"I have of late -- but wherefore I know not -- lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilential congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither."

... and especially as quoted at the end of withnail & i
sonicpixie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
in a way I am sure..

directly:

Oh..
Old 10.03.2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpixie
Hamlet:

"I have of late -- but wherefore I know not -- lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilential congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither."

... and especially as quoted at the end of withnail & i

Ah! Fantastic!
Old 10.03.2009, 04:25 PM   #8
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
oh yes watching that film makes me feel like im home. more than being at home does. does that make sense? does anyone else have films that make them feel like that?
a couple others do the same:
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead (whilst on the topic of shakespeare, and hamlet of course)
disco pigs
fear & loathing
Old 10.03.2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh yes watching that film makes me feel like im home. more than being at home does. does that make sense? does anyone else have films that make them feel like that?
a couple others do the same:
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead (whilst on the topic of shakespeare, and hamlet of course)
disco pigs
fear & loathing

I was commenting on Hamlet rather than Withnail and I. And I think I understand what feeling you are talking about (though I have mixed feelings about Withnail and I...).
Old 10.03.2009, 04:31 PM   #10
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

when i first saw it i thought what the fuck happened there?!! this is a film about absolutely nothing. and then i grew to love it... so mixed feelings too i suppose!
Old 10.03.2009, 04:34 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
There are so many that I could barely decide but Othello has been my favorite since high school.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 04:35 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
I posted this in the science thread so it's on my mind:

Macbeth:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

"Are you not moved, when all the sway of Earth shakes like a thing unfirm?"

Old 10.03.2009, 04:43 PM   #13
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
The only Shakespeare I've ever enjoyed was King Lear, probably because I read it on my own accord without having a bunch of over-analysis shoved down my throat.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:14 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hamlet:

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither."

"Indeed, it is a strange, disposed time. But men may construe things after their fashion, clean from the purpose of the things themselves.."

Old 10.03.2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Lurker
invito al cielo

Hamlet:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
Old 10.03.2009, 05:27 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

"Those that at haste will make a mighty fire begin it with weak straws.
What trash is Rome!
What rubbish,
and what offal when it serves for the base matter
to illuminate so vile a thing as Caesar!"

Old 10.04.2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
For me it's got to be King Lear. I'm in a Shakespeare class right now and I love it.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
The only Shakespeare I can honestly say I enjoyed was Merchant of Venice.
Old 10.04.2009, 01:33 PM   #19
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
The only Shakespeare I can honestly say I enjoyed was Merchant of Venice.
I'm with you on that one. haven't read hamlet though
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm trying to remember what all I've read. Hamlet, R&J, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, and a bunch of the Sonnets, I think.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth