Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Folk Music Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.27.2008, 05:14 PM   #41
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
seriously, barn owl is the best psych-folk/droney type shit out by far in my opinion! the album "from our mouths a perpetual light" is just pure awesome

and badgerlore is good too, kind of a supergroup thing with grouper and tom from charalambides etc.

if you like fursaxa i think you will like this stuff
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2008, 01:23 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Pesnyary - Pesnyary Psych Folk from Russia 1974

Pesnyary
Not less than nine piece band, they combined rock and folk music in a way no one did before.

The first Pesnyary recordings date back to 1969 (now some are available on compilation CD's issued in 1996). These were the cover versions of the Beatles with Russian lyrics. (Think that every Soviet Union band passed such "Beatles cover versions" period in the beginning of the career).

But it didn't take long for Pesnyary to develop their own, absolutely unique sound. Not less than nine piece band, they combined rock and folk music in a way no one did before. Bjelorussian folk is a specific music, very tender and melodical, filled with sorrow rather than with joy. Pesnyary didn't just make rock arrangements of folk songs, they developed and enriched these songs at the same time taking great care of the original passion and soul. One can find many elements of psychedelia in their earlier works and progressive moves in the later albums. All their LP's are highly recommended.

Sadly, the Soviet music officials were not sleeping... All the bands of the seventies had to include in their repertoire the songs by "official" writers and composers. But these tracks, moving to pop in style, in Pesnyary's versions became massive hits and are popular even nowadays.

All the band members were the top class players and the vocal group was exceptional. Using traditional folk instruments - horns, strings and others (don't know how are they called in English) combined with organ and electric guitar sometimes produced very psychedelic effect. The first, self titled LP saw the light of day in 1971 (by the way the second and third albums were as well self-titled, don't be confused!).

This is the second album. It was released in 1974.

Give it a whirl and lemme know what you think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/14491330...olk-psych_.zip

from here: http://community.livejournal.com/ethermusicshare/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 06:49 AM   #43
sarramkrop

Sybaritis
http://www.myspace.com/sybarits
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 01:21 PM   #44
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

WOW! That's genuinely awesome. Spasiba!

I'm not sure if Terje Isungset's music properly qualifies as 'folk', he describes it as jazz, but I'm not sure about that either. Either way. It's great.:

http://www.myspace.com/terjeisungset

Wouldn't it be amazing if Chinese Democracy had ended up sounding like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Pesnyary - Pesnyary Psych Folk from Russia 1974

Pesnyary
Not less than nine piece band, they combined rock and folk music in a way no one did before.

---

This is the second album. It was released in 1974.

Give it a whirl and lemme know what you think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/14491330...olk-psych_.zip

from here: http://community.livejournal.com/ethermusicshare/

I'm sort of confounded by this. I'm not sure if in a good or bad way. In some ways it really is a kind of East European hell - some of it is the kind of thing i'd expect to hear while in a taxi in Kiev or somewhere. At the same time I'm sure it'd make me want to tip the driver for the experience. I can't help thinking that, in real terms, it's pretty awful. But, well, I just don't know.

EDIT: One track, 'Staic Viarba' is quite brilliant though ... at least I think it is.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 01:45 PM   #45
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
folk has become much more important to me over the last 6 months than ever before. everything from dylan and the band's "the basement tapes" to everything fahey ever did to the brozman best of to anne briggs to folk grateful dead to all the brilliant stuff of today; six organs, pelt, blackshaw, jack rose, etc..

What would you consider Noise-folk? I guess some of Fahey's 90s stuff, but to me the Dead C when they were one of the best bands on the planet (Trap Door Fucking Exit, Harsh 70s Reality) could have been considered Noise-folk, what you you think?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 01:50 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think you're talking utter shite, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 02:48 PM   #47
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think you're talking utter shite, again.
hahahaha
im just curious what makes them folk?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2009, 03:54 PM   #48
sarramkrop

Fantuzzi - An Open Heart
Freak Scene - Psychedelic Psoul
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2009, 04:08 PM   #49
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Some video nuggets that might be of interest to you folky types, courtesy of the Beeb:

1) Festival!: A Film by Murray Lerner
cinematic synthesis of four Newport Folk Festivals of the 1960s in which the art of folk music is pictured in transition during its most crucial years. The festivals were hugely influential and the film records the pivotal moment when Bob Dylan 'went electric'. Other artists performing include Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Donovan and Pete Seeger. The film was originally released in cinemas in 1967 and has been restored under the supervision of director Murray Lerner.
Broadcast on:BBC Four, 8:10pm Friday 13th February 2009 Duration: 80 minutes Available until: 9:39pm Friday 20th February 2009 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Murray_Lerner/

2) (this is great, Cohen's performance is amazing) Sounds of the Sixties - The Folk Revival
Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen feature in this folk tinged episode of 60s archive.
Broadcast on:BBC Four, 8:00pm Friday 13th February 2009 Duration: 10 minutes Available until: 8:09pm Friday 20th February 2009 Categories:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Folk_Revival/

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2009, 04:59 PM   #50
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Were Spires that in the Sunset Rise ever mentioned on this fine thread?
Mighty good.
Old 02.18.2009, 05:22 PM   #51
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Came across this "folk / country / psychedelic" band called the thimbles on myspace, may have even got the link on these forums. Pretty decent I thought. here be the link: www.myspace.com/thethimbles
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2009, 06:23 AM   #52
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Hi all.

Just got back from a 40 day trip through Africa.
Bought some rare cd's while I was there and thought I'd share some of them with you guys.

Here's the first one I've uploaded which is quite appropriate for this thread.

Traditional Music of Swaziland

01. Inkomo Emnyama - Sagila Matse
02. Lutsandvo Luphelile - Khokhiwe Mphila
03. Tikhiya - Sigubhu Sebalozi
04. Umfati Lomdzala - Ndumiso Tsela
05. Intfombi - Gogo Mavuso
06. Khala Gogogo - Elias Matsenjwa
07. Logoduka - Sagila Matse
08. Dinane - Khokhiwe Mphila
09. Etincenceni Kamalindane - Khokhiwe Mphila
10. Longatalanga - Sigubhu Sebalozi
11. Mnikeni Sidvwaba Uyabaleka - Sagila Matse
12. Masango - Gogo Mavuso
13. Dolofiya - Khokhiwe Mphila
14. Mbilibhi - Khokhiwe Mphila
15. Ematjotjombela - Ndumiso Tsela
16. Nyosi Matsatsela - Sagila Matse

Download: http://www.badongo.com/file/13462688

Word! Typing the tracklist is a nightmare. Ha!
I highly recommend this rare cd. It's as primitive as it gets. Enjoy.

Ps: I'll upload another gem later.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth