check it out at incendiarymag

http://www.incendiarymag.com/modules...rticle&sid=988

Cheers
Mac
macman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Nice read, but I disagree with it being the best album to date. Thanks macman.
Old 07.19.2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
that review is absurd.
Old 07.19.2006, 07:59 AM   #4
macman
empty page

macman has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
your welcome

I think that this is one of the best things about music in general, we all have our own subjective likes and dislikes, which is one of the great reasons why music sparks so many indepth debates.
Old 07.19.2006, 08:01 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Indepth? You've not been here long, have you?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 08:03 AM   #6
macman
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
that review is absurd.

if you think that is absurd you should read the coldpay review they have on the site ... now that one is absurd... but amusing too

http://www.incendiarymag.com/modules...rticle&sid=558
Old 07.19.2006, 08:07 AM   #7
macman
empty page

how did you guess that I have not been here long
Old 07.20.2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I love that Coldplay review! Its funny cause its true! lol
Old 07.20.2006, 12:32 PM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Man, what an ass-kissing review. I have to disagree almost completely with this review. I don' think it's the bands most accessible work. I think the general weakness of the album makes it a more difficult listen than some of their other records. I think Goo, Dirty, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are all far more enjoyable records that contain more tightly constructed and melodic song structures while still maintaining their signature feedback and noise and general experimentation. This guy obviously doesn't know too much about Sonic Youth or good music, because this is one of the biggest fluff peices I have ever read. Rather Ripped is not "as good if not better than anything in their entire back catalogue". That is pure bullshit. It's one of their least interesting albums. It contains some interesting material to be sure, but it just doesn't hold me the way so many of their other records do such as Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols, EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, (parts of) Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star, Washing Machine, A Thousand Leaves, (parts of) NYC Ghosts & Flowers, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. All of these records have more to offer and are genreally more intriguiing than Rather Ripped.

Bad article.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 12:34 PM   #10
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
P.S. The last song on Rather Ripped is Or, not Pink Steam......jackass.

Old 07.20.2006, 12:55 PM   #11
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
P.S. The last song on Rather Ripped is Or, not Pink Steam......jackass.

Yeah I bet he skipped it, but pretends the record is an absolute marvel.

Slightly better than Dirty (I can hear people yelling "WTF ???" already ), but not as well crafted as Nurse, Murray Street or Washing Machine.

Jim (O' Rourke) come back !!! Please !!
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 12:59 PM   #12
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
Yeah I bet he skipped it, but pretends the record is an absolute marvel.

Slightly better than Dirty (I can hear people yelling "WTF ???" already ), but not as well crafted as Nurse, Murray Street or Washing Machine.

Jim (O' Rourke) come back !!! Please !!

I agree. Rather Ripped is more consistant than Dirty (which is only half of a good record). I really would like to see Jim O'Rourke return to the band. I didn't appreciate him while he was in the band, but I'm kicking myself now for ignoring his influence. He really helped the band out a lot.

Old 07.20.2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I think I agree wholeheartedly with that review. You disliker sare so spoiled! Compare this album with the crap other avant-garde bands have put out 25 years into their musical carrers! wait, what is that you say? you can;t think of any? THAT'S RIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS!!! There are NONE! at 25 years most relevant avant-garde bands have broken up, re-united, and failed miserably, jsut to break up again!

who can compare? the red hot chili peppers have been around over 20 years, and their output has flat out sucked shit for ten of those years.

who else? what band that started between 1980-1985 is still rocking putting on freaked out live shows, skronk everywhere, blasts of noise fury? I mean shit! give me break.

the fucking album Rather Ripped RULES. it is an amazing collection of wonderful songs. half of rather ripped would have sounded a perfect fit on sister. stop yr crying!

thanks for the link to the review!

I blast rather ripped every single day when I get home from work (got the vinyl!) and it is exhilirating to me how much I fucking LOVE IT. It is like sonic youth knew exactly what I needed and gave it to me, as they always do.
Old 07.20.2006, 01:05 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hey kingcoffe, the reviewer said that a song off of rather ripped was as good as naything in their back catalogue, NOT the whole album. chill out.
Old 07.20.2006, 01:06 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and let me be the first to say FUCK JIM O'ROURKE.
give me the OG lineup anyday.
Old 07.20.2006, 02:29 PM   #16
MattiGregory
empty page

MattiGregory has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Wotcher, I'm Matti Gregory and I wrote the review in question, and I feel I may as well defend myself against the complete toss a couple of posters here have written. Firstly I don't claim to be a Sonic Youth expert or even a massive fan. I'm not rich enought to own all their albums - hence the slight disclaimer "perhaps" their best album. But to say that I didn't listen to the album is toss, else how would I have been able to describe the songs, eh?

Of course you have the right to disagree with me and I'm sure there are many things music-wise we'd all disagree about, but if you're going to slate someone for having a different preference to you, then you are probably a wanker. I would say it is the most accessible SY record I own (I don't own Murray Street which someone listed as possibly more so, granted), but again that's just for me - every review is one person's perspective and opinion by definition, unless you write for NME, obviously, when you just agree with the majority of people wearing braces and stupid hats at indie clubs.

Granted I was caught out on the last track - this was a simple mistake, I wasn't looking at the tracklisting or listening to the album at the point of writing so I got mixed up. Fucking hang me, we all make mistakes even when we do at least have a reasonable idea what we're talking about.

So to those who dismissed my review (as "fluff"? I may start using that more in conversation, it's good), why don't you just realise that I am entitled to a different opinion and that just because I don't own all their records on signed original pressing vinyl and I haven't seen them live 27 times doesn't mean that my opinion is less valid than yours.

I appreciate not all of you were saying that. If you think I'm wrong, no problem. I just don't like it when people are so snobby about their music taste they talk from out of their arsehole.

Goodwill all,

Matti.
MattiGregory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth