Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Eyes Wide Shut Appreciation Society
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.16.2010, 10:28 PM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Was just digging through my old Eyes Wide Shut appreciation posts haha.

Minds change.

I watched it agian after that, and it struck a chord with me. Still WAY too long, and Cruise is terrible, but the atmosphere and direction make up for it. Also, the last film released to really "feel" like that, if you know what I mean.. the golden age of cinema... 70's-80's.. compare it to films nowadays, they wouldn't MAKE a film like that. So, while it is technically kind of a bad film, I can appreciate it more in retrospect and probably will grow to do so more in the future.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2010, 11:01 PM   #42
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
The pace of EWS is similar to other Kubrik's, notably 2001, and Shining. I love this about Kubrik.

And I am still baffled that so many here, even several who like EWS, think Cruise is terrible. LOL at me all you want, but how can anyone deny his immense talents?
Old 07.17.2010, 01:53 AM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm someone who generally likes TC but isn't a fan of EWS. Yes, I think he's a talented actor but I don't think Kubrick is the kind of director who'd get the most out of him - atleast in a project like that. I think it would've been the same for any actor.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 02:42 AM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
As an actor, he's about average. As a person, he's annoying, which comes across on the screen. And he usually is in movies I don't give a shit about anyway.

Old 07.17.2010, 02:52 AM   #45
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Your perception of someone you don't even know shouldn't influence your critical evaluation of their work. Otherwise not much could be deemed worthy.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 03:01 AM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Okay. So, should I deem a book "good", if it's made by a technically "good" writer, even if their writing voice, and the things they say, annoy me? Of course not. And so on and so forth, forever, analogies and whatnot. My CRITICAL evaluation is that he is an average-ish actor. I try not to let that cloud the fact that I pretty much hate the guy aside from that. If I find him difficult to watch, that's that. But there are a few roles he is tolerable in.

I have never enjoyed watching Tom Cruise on the screen, way before I knew he was a scientologist or whatever most people base their hatred on. Something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way, but there's some roles he throws himself into quite well. He's pretty hit or miss, all in all.

Old 07.17.2010, 03:05 AM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Tom Cruise is definitely someone who a lot of people find difficult to like onscreen - although enough obviously do in order for him to be so in demand within Hollywood.

Anyone who questions his acting skills though, should re-watch him in Jerry MaGuire for which he was robbed of the best actor oscar by Geoffrey Rush for Shine.

I'm sure he's a wanker as a person and that he can be really annoying on screen, but the guy can act the socks off most of his more likeable, more charismatic peers.
Old 07.17.2010, 03:07 AM   #48
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't read the whole of your post because I already know what you're getting at. What I mean is, sometimes annoying people produce excellent work. That's not even my opinion.
Old 07.17.2010, 03:10 AM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
immense talents?

I'm willing to accept Born on the 4th of July, The Color of Money, and Rain Man as displays of a decent actor. And there are certainly good films he's in (Magnolia, Few Good Men) but I don't think his "talent" particularly stands out.

He's just downright embarassing in Days of Thunder, The Last Samurai, Collateral (playing a "tough assassin" HAHAHA; worst villian ever next to Keanu Reeves in The Watch!), Interview with the Vampire, War of the Worlds. Probably Valkyrie too, I've never seen it -- anyone wanna fill me in?

I dunno, just kinda average; maybe a bit above it...

anyone notice he's only been in like 30 films in the past 30 years through? *edit* IMDB says 35 since 1981.

EDIT 2: I guess I agree with what demonrail says though.

Old 07.17.2010, 03:13 AM   #50
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Okay. So, should I deem a book "good", if it's made by a technically "good" writer, even if their writing voice, and the things they say, annoy me? Of course not.

No, that may result in you not liking it but has no bearing on whether it's good or not. Technically, by which I mean he knows acting conventions inside out, he's very very good, but that doesn't mean you or anyone else has to like what he does.

The weird thing about Hollywood is that likeability is a massive component in terms of success. Hence you get 'likeable' actors like Bruce Willis making a fortune without (by their own recognition) being particularly good actors while Tom Cruise has managed to overcome his lack of likeability to become probably the most in-demand actor of his generation.
Old 07.17.2010, 03:20 AM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I think Hudson Hawk is one of the best acting roles of all time. He should've won an award for that!

Old 07.17.2010, 03:45 AM   #52
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The weird thing about Hollywood is that likeability is a massive component in terms of success. Hence you get 'likeable' actors like Bruce Willis making a fortune without (by their own recognition) being particularly good actors while Tom Cruise has managed to overcome his lack of likeability to become probably the most in-demand actor of his generation.

good point, and I like Bruce Willis all the same, but Tom Cruise plays mostly unique characters from film to film or at least tries to, unlike Willis who is pretty much always Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis.

Tom Cruise isn't too proud to play demeaning roles either like spending half of Vanilla Sky with a fucked up face and the despicable producer in Tropic Thunder.

As far as the "weird Hollywood thing" Tom cruise is long been working against the "build you up to bring you down" mentality. His adoration and success has absolutely peeked as an actor/entertainer even early back in his career... much to the hype and attention the media offers. After so long, they run out of interesting and admirable things to report and photograph, so they just turn any incident into negative or drama..... it's called "spin". Apparently the media got bored with him at some point and would look for criticism in every little thing. All the little puppets and media androids collectively turned on him, likely without even knowing why. The media can make anyone look noble or demonize anyone as they please. Cruise got boring while just keep making successful movies, so enter the interest-spin-drama in his personal life.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 04:03 AM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
As far as the "weird Hollywood thing" Tom cruise is long been working against the "build you up to bring you down" mentality. His adoration and success has absolutely peeked as an actor/entertainer even early back in his career... much to the hype and attention the media offers. After so long, they run out of interesting and admirable things to report and photograph, so they just turn any incident into negative or drama..... it's called "spin". Apparently the media got bored with him at some point and would look for criticism in every little thing. All the little puppets and media androids collectively turned on him, likely without even knowing why. The media can make anyone look noble or demonize anyone as they please. Cruise got boring while just keep making successful movies, so enter the interest-spin-drama in his personal life.

I think that's absolutely true although, to be fair, Cruise has hardly helped matters with his public championing of Scientology, etc.

He's also quite a controversial figure in terms of his position as a big league Hollywood 'player'. It's not widely publicised that he's actually co-head of United Artist studios, which gives him serious industry clout. So any public image (good or bad) has to be measured against the vested interests of those beneath him in the Hollywood chain.
Old 07.17.2010, 04:15 AM   #54
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

He's shit. He mostly acts in shit movies. No reason to get a headache about it.
Old 07.17.2010, 04:18 AM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Old 07.17.2010, 05:01 AM   #56
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

"You're doing it right!"

Old 07.17.2010, 07:09 AM   #57
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Tom Cruise is definitely someone who a lot of people find difficult to like onscreen - although enough obviously do in order for him to be so in demand within Hollywood.

Anyone who questions his acting skills though, should re-watch him in Jerry MaGuire for which he was robbed of the best actor oscar by Geoffrey Rush for Shine.

I'm sure he's a wanker as a person and that he can be really annoying on screen, but the guy can act the socks off most of his more likeable, more charismatic peers.

That asinine statement automatically makes you a wanker as a person, which is no surprise. You wanker.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 08:07 AM   #58
demonrail666
invito al cielo

thanks

Old 07.17.2010, 02:58 PM   #59
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
the film is about tom cruise in his first scientology orgy.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 12:09 PM   #60
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
I really like Eyes Wide Shut, one of Kubrick's best movies for sure (and without a doubt the best role Tom Cruise has ever had). I love the whole mood that the movie creates. It's very dreamlike, not too long at all (and well, I'm one of those that often complain that movies that are longer than say two hours usually are too long). Fantastic movie.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth