Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page TVBC, Thunderbolt Pagoda, Seawhores. Loring Theatre, MPLS MN 31 March 2011.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses

I am incredibly excited about this. As TVBC fanboy #1, getting to play a show with The Band That Changed My Young Life is exciting enough, but getting to play that show in a gorgeous theatre setting with yet another band I also love makes this an occasion I will remember forever. Hopefully some of you will as well.

Come down and see the first appearance of this legendary trio since they played Heliotrope 1!

Paul Metzger on guitar, Freddy Votel on drums, Adam Linz on bass.

New Thunderbolt Pagoda set, too.

A couple of classic TVBC pieces here:

http://tvbc.tv/mp3/Gandhi.mp3

http://tvbc.tv/mp3/Sepulchre.mp3

Thursday, 31 March 2011
Loring Theatre
1407 Nicollet Ave

10:00 TVBC

9:00 Thunderbolt Pagoda

8:00 Seawhores

Admission is $13.00, but there will be a 48-hour window (TBA) where tickets will be available online for $10.00.

This place is beautiful. This reunion is momentous. Well worth it if you ask me.

Press blatherings below:

Younger enthusiasts of underground music probably know Paul Metzger for his inventive solo works on 23-string banjo and modified guitar, or perhaps for his collaborations with improvisational powerhouses like Milo Fine and Davu Seru. They are likely also familiar with drummer Freddy Votel via his work with Skoal Kodiak, Seawhores, Cows, Marijuana Deathsquads and a host of others. Older aficionados remember them both from their genre-defying and eardrum-punishing work with the exploratory St. Paul power trio TVBC, which originally existed from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s (yielding the LPs "Ex Cathedra" and "The Blues," in addition to the posthumously-released CD "Gone") with a short resurrection in the early part of the millennium, which resulted in their recording of their own original soundtrack to the Russian film "Man With A Movie Camera."

TVBC were both anomalous and complementary in the punk- and postpunk environment of their inception; they had a capacity for speed (and stamina) that could match any challengers, especially coupled with their instrumental prowess and
the group's maximalist, volume-intensive sound. The song
structures of their early days eventually progressed into lengthier instrumental work and
jazzist improvisation on their complex thematic ideas, but most arresting was the heavy influence of Indian raga
stylings in an avant-rock power-trio context. Their improvisational approach made it imperative to see them every time, since the variations would inevitably prove interesting and new (and sometimes detrimental to
Metzger's poor Danelectro, which was repeatedly karate-chopped, beaten, and dragged down walls), rewarding die-hards and making many a wide-eyed new fan. Truly visionary, utterly unique and ahead of its time (not to mention baffling given the musical climate of the Twin Cities at that time and the isolation of the region in general). It would be quite a few years before there was much evidence of other groups incorporating these kinds of ideas into heavy rock. Even still, no group really sounds like this, now or then. They truly forged their own territory, and their music continues to influence and inspire in ways no one could have expected.

For this special performance at the Loring Theatre, Paul and Freddy will be joined by Adam Linz on bass. It will be their first appearance playing this music since TVBC played at the first Heliotrope festival in 2003. Thunderbolt Pagoda and Seawhores will open the evening with their own brands of grandiose bombast, and Emily Kaplan will be projecting live video montage throughout the event.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2011, 02:09 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be honest and say that I've never listened to TVBC, but Savage Clown is being overly modest if he ever states that Thunderbolt Pagoda should be anything other than the headliner.

Thunderbolt Pagoda is better than yr favorite band.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
You're too kind.
Seriously though, TVBC would not be a band I would want to follow at any show. This band is a major reason why I play the way I do. Been a fan since 1986! This is a really big deal for me, in all sincerity.
Old 03.27.2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Bumping this in case someone besides CHOUT lives remotely close to here and reads this board...

48-hour window for discounted online tickets coming up!

Starting at noon Tuesday (Mar. 29) through Thursday at noon (Mar. 31).

For $3 off tickets all customers have to do is enter the discount code Push while purchasing tickets.
http://bit.ly/g5dv7p

I also re-purposed an old gig poster I have been hoarding since 1989.
I was at the show this poster originally advertised (U of MN) as well as the one where this photo of young Paul Metzger was taken (Walker Art Center, 1988). Seemed appropriate.

Old 03.28.2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Last bump, I swear....

Tonight around 10:30-11:00 USA Central time, Paul Metzger and I will be on Emel Sherzad's "Radio Duende" radio show, talking about the 31st and playing tracks from the bands on the bill. It's pledge week (long-running community radio station), so just pretend it's PBS and we're Australian Pink Floyd or something. Emel has one of the word's mst soothing speaking voices and is a true fan of the Weird Shit. Great guy.

http://www.kfai.org
Old 03.28.2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
SWEET! i miss you savage! congrats.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2011, 09:33 PM   #7
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Important question: 21+? I'm down in Willmar atm but I might be able to convince someone to drive me up for this. Also, would it be a good idea to buy tickets beforehand and where can I? shoot me an e-mail if you like as I'm not on here as often. aschehayden at gmail dot com

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

All ages.

48-hour window for discounted online tickets coming up, link above.

I'm sure at-the-door is fine, though. The theatre is big.
Old 03.28.2011, 11:26 PM   #9
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
All ages.

48-hour window for discounted online tickets coming up, link above.

I'm sure at-the-door is fine, though. The theatre is big.

This would be cool to see. I'll be trying to fandangle a ride here in the next couple of days.

I'm a skinhead now, though. You won't find me, drone.

Old 04.01.2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Documentation link below.
I had a great time, despite breaking a string onstage for the first time ever, and for the second time total in the last seven years or so. Kind of takes the wind out of my "concept piece" continuous set aesthetic, but it was still super fun and the audience didn't hold it against us. EXCELLENT turnout. TVBC were incredible. Totally worth all the work it took to put the show together.

http://www.reviler.org/2011/04/01/ph...theater-33111/
Old 04.01.2011, 03:47 PM   #11
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

super bummed no one would drive me. i should get more friends. i will make it to one of your shows soon enough, though. if you still have my e-mail you should let me know when one happens my friend.

Old 04.01.2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Same place, May 26-28. Come for the whole damn thing.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth