Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2016, 11:19 AM   #19541
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
B Movie as an industrial term is fine but I think The Wicker Man represents something different to most of the films/genres you mention there. It has a simliar place in film history to films like Picnic at Hanging Rock, A Boy and his Dog, Jacobs Ladder. Films that seem to have come from nowhere. In the UK in the 80s, we had this weekly TV slot called Moviedrome, which was how I 1st saw the Wicker Man and other films in that 'where-the-fuck-did-this-come-from?' vein, like Johnny Guitar, Brazil, Detour, Repo Man. Some were b movies, some were indie, others were a-list mainstream, but they all shared an originality and an oddness.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2016, 11:21 AM   #19542
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Duel is amazing. Few movies had a larger impact on young me than that. It made me appreciate the quiet horror of the real world. Great Fucking movie.

(Hope we're talking about the same Duel.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2016, 11:28 AM   #19543
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

(Hope we're talking about the same Duel.)

Little guy in car vs massive lorry?
Old 09.14.2016, 11:32 AM   #19544
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
duel is spielberg's first feature-- it's kinda like jaws before the shark

johnny guitar!!! holy fuck, that movie. made by aliens.

brazil i must have watched some 20 times, easy

i only saw wicker man a few years ago when i stumbled upon it on the IFC channel. similar experience-- hm let's look at this shit WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THING!!! just brilliant.

btw, b-or-not-b i'll throw in sam fuller to the pantheon

i haven't seen detour or even heard of it. will google it now.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2016, 11:40 AM   #19545
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Sam Fuller for sure

Also stuff like Kiss Me Deadly, the Django films. A lot of the kind of stuff Tarantino hypes.

Detour is another one of those almost indescribable films. So I won't try.

And Piranha! Yeah! Of the remakes, stick to DD, with David Hasselhoff. The 1st remake is OK but gets a bit boring in the middle. DD is just pure fun. (you were talking about the remakes right?) The original is great but for pure entertainment value, DD is better.
Old 09.14.2016, 11:49 AM   #19546
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
DD with the big tits in the cover? that i can get.

i was looking for the original corman production though, post-jaws. not on netflix dvd, not on amazon stream, and not at the library-- maybe it's on netflix online but i don't have that right now.

btw i decided to inaugurate halloween movie season with wicker man, which should get here soon-- not sure what edition (1999?). lining up other stuff like exorcist and the omen, which i haven't seen in ages, but also stuff i missed like little shop of horrors (corman version) or the bad seed (50s) or pride and prejudice and zombies (newish). please recommend any movie or tv shows i should add to this. doesn't need to be bone-chilling horror, horror comedy works too obviously.
Old 09.14.2016, 02:48 PM   #19547
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I like the more lighthearted stuff at Halloween. Nothing too heavy or scary. Maybe something iconic like Bride of Frankenstein.

Re Piranha. Yeah, I kind of prefer the remakes, at least the 2nd one, DD. It's absolute rubbish on just about every level but it's a film I always find myself putting on.
Old 09.14.2016, 05:26 PM   #19548
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah, horror movies are your thing which is why i can see you switching to the funny stuff for halloween.

i'm the other way around-- i generally avoid them because they disturb me, but this is the time of the year i dedicate to macerate my brain in death, darkness, ultraviolence, and discomfort. that includes basic gore like catching up with the walking dead, true detective, house of cards, etc. i "save them" for october.
Old 09.14.2016, 07:12 PM   #19549
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Little guy in car vs massive lorry?

That's the one.

To this day headlights freak me out. I trace it back to that film
Old 09.14.2016, 07:16 PM   #19550
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah, horror movies are your thing which is why i can see you switching to the funny stuff for halloween.

i'm the other way around-- i generally avoid them because they disturb me, but this is the time of the year i dedicate to macerate my brain in death, darkness, ultraviolence, and discomfort. that includes basic gore like catching up with the walking dead, true detective, house of cards, etc. i "save them" for october.

Don't even get me going on True Detective season one. Goddamn masterful. Had it been a feature film, it would have won every Oscar. It's a work of art. Great take on Southern Gothic. Simply put, it's one of the best things that's ever been on television. Goddamn but that was great.

Season two was criminally underrated. It too was quite compelling, but it was just not possible to follow season one.
Old 09.14.2016, 07:59 PM   #19551
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
True Dick sucked. Overacted, overwrought. Just real bad.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2016, 08:06 PM   #19552
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
i just watched Entrapment with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones.. it was like a late 80s throwback, and otherwise entertaining flick that didn't try to hard to be innovative or clever and just put out an ok movie

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2016, 09:46 AM   #19553
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo

Aw, what?! What the hell? Are you on Thorazine? I strongly disagree with you on this one. Maybe the second season qualifies as "over-acted" at times, but the first season is pure gold. It makes Silence of the Lambs seem like an actual film about silent lambs. I was still on the anti-Mcconaughey bandwagon until I watched it. I'd hated the guy for 15 years or more, even though he'd dished out increasingly good performances in recent films by that point. But Jesus, one episode in and I was a changed man.

Game of Thrones can just fuck off and die. Nothing in the whole series approaches the greatness of the first episode of TD. That's where I stand.
Old 09.15.2016, 10:05 AM   #19554
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
wait-what? i just realized this after severian answered

i haven't seen 2nd season pls no spoilers

1st season was great though--mcconna..something and woody harrelson

"time is a flat circle..." ha ha ha ha

**********SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

the only thing that REALLY BOTHERED ME is that they catch "the bad man" (ooooo) but not the powers behind him. that's like-- wuuuuuuttt?? pointless

****************END SPOILERS

not yet "terror" but with the election season i'm getting the most recent frank underwood on bluray. season 3 went to shit a little, but i'm still faithful mostly because lester, what's his name, kevin spacey, is great
Old 09.15.2016, 10:08 AM   #19555
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
i just watched Entrapment with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones.. it was like a late 80s throwback, and otherwise entertaining flick that didn't try to hard to be innovative or clever and just put out an ok movie

inb4 eeeeeeeeeveryone's favorite scene

Old 09.15.2016, 10:08 AM   #19556
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
True Detective, 1st season was very good gothic horror. The second season, I liked a lot, but my wife did n ot. she found it TOO bleak. I thought it was a cool season. Enjoyed it much more than the critics who seemed to wish that Macconoughhay was back so they could slobber over him again....
Old 09.15.2016, 10:10 AM   #19557
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$%, that scene is where my love for the Welsh ladies began, grew, erupted, and then settled into a manageable chubby.
Old 09.15.2016, 10:15 AM   #19558
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh no, that's the last mental image to place next to zeta!

i beg mercy, brother
Old 09.15.2016, 11:33 AM   #19559
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
inb4 eeeeeeeeeveryone's favorite scene

This is literally the only thing I remember from this film. It's funny. You nailed it. Couldn't event tell you what the thing's about, but this image is seared into my memory.

There was a similar moment in that godawful Get Smart re-make with Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway, where the soon-to-be Catwoman's rump makes a very similar move, though in a split ballroom gown. Hah. Yowza. I'll have to find that.
Old 09.15.2016, 11:38 AM   #19560
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is literally the only thing I remember from this film..
i had to stop and think and it was about hacking pennies on Y2K

lol Y2K
878928968975976977 978 97998098198810281078 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth