Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Ecstatic Peace Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.05.2009, 12:40 PM   #181
Kanna
little trouble girl

Kanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's assesKanna kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry if this has been mentioned before!

from the mats gustafsson:

1. just finished a solo recording for a Ecstatic Peace Casette (!!!)relaese… 100 copies only…
hard core filthy low fi live electronics and tenor sax…
release date tba asap

http://matsgus.com/archives/category/news
Kanna is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2009, 03:08 PM   #182
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Krefting CD available now:

Artist:KREFTING, MATTTitle:I Couldn't Love You MoreLabel:ECSTATIC PEACEFormat:CDPrice:$11.00Catalog #:E#91D"My 'career' in music is about to enter its 13th year. Lucky 13! I've performed in at least 15 groups (probably more on the order of 20 if you count guest spots) over the years, the most prominent being the long-running 'quiet music' combo Son of Earth and the short-lived-but-muchhyped Believers. Historically more of an experimental man, the Believers project showcased my always right-below-the-surface interest and passion for all things rock, and so, a couple of years after the demise of that group, I was approached by Ecstatic Peace, who asked me to produce a solo record. For the better part of a year I conceptualized, recruited, and eventually came up with I Couldn't Love You More. An early attempt to marry electronics, field recordings, and song was scrapped in favor of the personal and perhaps obvious choice of producing a covers record. It was the perfect idea, the realization of a dream. Years of singing in the shower and on long car trips had given way to the stuff of fantasy. Why stick to what you know when you can reach for what you've always desired? I asked friends to help with the realization. John Moloney, Phil Franklin, Ron Schneiderman, and Rob Thomas (all of Sunburned Hand of the Man), I've known for years. Same with J Mascis. Old friends John Shaw (who I've done more music with than anyone) and Lynn Meyers provide some vocals here and there, as does my wife, Jamie Jo Oltmans. The Wild Card here is John Townsend. Andrew Kesin of Ecstatic Peace introduced me to him, and he was a jack-of-all-trades. He plays on most of the tracks, sometimes exclusively, and co-produced. I chose songs from all over the map, from Rick Danko to John Martyn to the great Bill Fay. Not exactly lightweights, and quite intimidating when their full historical weight is taken into account. However, I attacked each piece with the intensity of one who truly loves these songs. I didn't concern myself with being overly arty or inventive in my interpretations (there are no truly radical re-workings of anything here), instead allowing my own emotional investment in the material to guide me and inform the other players. These are songs of love and longing. The themes are eternal. It's an honor to have had the chance to play them. Enjoy the music." -- Matt Krefting, December 2008
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 12:44 AM   #183
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://citizendick.org/2009/06/16/ma...-album-review/
Old 06.17.2009, 11:38 PM   #184
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.swingsetmagazine.com/pages/detail.php?id=51

Matt Krefting interview

Old 06.25.2009, 04:31 AM   #185
Moshe
Super Moderator

OUT TODAY 6/23
Old 06.25.2009, 08:54 AM   #186
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.myspace.com/bobevanstheband

Bob Evans is a band from Maplewood, New Jersey that spent most of it's active career working out of a sweet rented bungalow on the north shore of Boston in a town called North Reading, MA. The band began as a 4 piece with Dave Gloshinski (Guitar + Vox), Chris Zusi(Guitar+vox), Andrew Kesin (bass) , and Brian O'Neill(drums). In '90 Zusi left and the band continued as a 3 piece for the rest of its recording career. In '95 when O'neill wasn't able to tour the summer, John Gerlach stepped in to join Gloshinski and Kesin for what became the last tour for the band.

http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=9943

Bob Evans June 2009 Dates

(dates/venues are confirmed, lineups/order could change a bit)

Thursday June 25th - Flywheel, Easthampton, MA
Guerrero
Black Helicopter
Matt Krefting Band (featuring members of Sunburned Hand of the Man)
Bob Evans

Friday June 26th - Middle East, Boston
Guerrero
Meadhall
Kudgel/Black Helicopter
Bob Evans

Saturday June 27th - Union Pool, Brooklyn
Special Guests including Ryan Sawyer
Bob Evans

Sunday June 28th - Maxwells
TBD
Bob Evans
Old 06.25.2009, 07:04 PM   #187
Moshe
Super Moderator

Old 06.30.2009, 11:57 AM   #188
Moshe
Super Moderator

Human Taste, by Little Claw (CD on Ecstatic Peace)

CD on Ecstatic Peace DUE 3/8 Format:CDLabel:Ecstatic Peace

Little Claw, jesus...what can you say? Too much for Michigan's mirror, they shifted ass to Portland Oregon (land of JOMF, Smegma, Meltzer and so much more) in order to stew their mushrooms in relative peace. They're the only band I've heard that seem capable of tapping into the indescribable art-raunch wobble of Leesa Aldredge, watch them and tremble." Byron Coley Little Claw was born in Detroit, Michigan during the Great Eastern Seaboard blackout of 2003…having nothing to do, nowhere to go, Heath Heemsbergen and Kilynn Lunsford began playing their acoustic guitars and singing into the darkness. An auspicious beginning to be sure… Even now, Little Claw are still strumming and screaming into the void. Formed originally with Jamie Easter from the Piranhas on drums, the band played a string of shows, starting with their debut performance with legendary Ohio art-punks the Bizarros, which then led to the recording of the first Little Claw LP with Warn Defever (His Name Is Alive) The album was released by Ypsilanti records in 2005. Jamie left the band in the summer of 2005 and after one show as a duo, Hendrik Deherder joined up on the drums. A second LP was recorded with Matthew Smith (Outrageous Cherry) in his Hamtramck living room mid-2006 and was subsequently released by Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Peace label in 2007. Later that year, there was a release of a split 7" single with Michael Yonkers on X! records. Little Claw's move from the urban nightmare of Detroit to the more subtle cloudy terrors of Portland, Oregon prompted some more augmentations to the line-up: Adam Svenson (of Seattle improv band Du Hexen Hase) took over the caveman beat on the drums, freeing up Henrik to bang the synth and add additional percussion. On the road and on recordings, the Little Claw sound is graced by the touch of Toledo native, Damon Sturdivant (Puffy Areolas, Tyvek) on additional percussion and synth. "But what do they sound like anyway? They sounded like the greatest godammned fucking band on the planet the time we saw 'em. Two minimalist drummers, a guitar dude with a nice underhook rhythm rip and a girl with a badass no wave slather tongue tearing hell out of her slide guitar given half the chance. And not all hellbent rage either--some nice licorice melt drizzle crud groove too. Fuckin' awesome." Thurston Moore. track listing: 1/frankie 2/frozen in the future 3/modern vampire 4/lay to waste 5/colors you drown 6/slow sticky tornado 7/summerphile 8/breathing tape 9/golden boy 10/human taste (below the tide)
Old 06.30.2009, 11:58 AM   #189
Moshe
Super Moderator

Future Slip, by Samara Lubelski (CD on Ecstatic Peace)

Description: Format:CD Label:Ecstatic Peace

"...Lubelski lets the song lift off even further, jettisoning the orginal arrangement’s more conventinal aspects – drums, guitar, bass – and lets her voice float among the various keyboards, woodwinds, and unusual percussion instruments. Along with her mulit-tracked harmonies, the changes make for a edtail - rich psych-folk reverie..." Pitchfork Samara Lubelski’s 5th solo LP ‘Future Slip’ serves up a gorgeous and friendly collection of bittersweet melodies, sinister basslines, gestural Polaroid lyrics, and spot-on drumming garnished with sprigs of fuzz, paired with a guitar Riesling. Produced by Thurston Moore. Our story is already in progress as of the late 90’s.. Samara made the crucial ‘In the Valley’ album (with Matt Valentine producing) and then announced she was going to make a Pop record. Over the course of 3 LP’s on The Social Registry and DeStijl, the occasional murmur from the Hall of Fame days became a full-blown songwriting affair. Samara found a working method that she continues with to this day: Cutting basics in her second home of Stuttgart, Germany with members of psych-freakers Metabolismus and bringing the tracks back to New York to collaborate with her U.S. cronies, which this time includes PG Six, Helen Rush, Steve Shelley, Willie Lane, Nicolas Vernhes, Werner Notzel, Moritz Finkebiner, and Thilio Kuhn. In 2007 longtime fan Thurston Moore recruited Samara and her violin skillz for his ‘Trees Outside the Academy’ album and tour. Familiar with the solo work, Thurston wanted to hear a new type of record from her: more confident, bolder. He offered an Ecstatic Peace! release if he was allowed to produce. Samara poached drummer Steve Shelley for her band, adding the missing backbeat to a swarm of overdubs. Thurston produced the mix sessions; lying sick on the couch calling out for more and more elements to be louder until a wonderfully aerodynamic version of the songs flew forth. And here is the result: ‘Future Slip’ is a worldly record, a record which offers ‘a taste of the new dimension’ but warns of ‘guru bummers’..

Track listing: 1/culture king ’66 2/empire’s dream 3/the evolution flow 4/future hold 5/headships down 6/the trip is out 7/new age slip 8/silver hair 9/walking in the waves 10/field the mine
Old 07.01.2009, 12:30 AM   #190
Moshe
Super Moderator

Violent Soho Wrapping New Set
June 30, 2009 - Global | Indies

By Lars Brandle, Brisbane

Aussie buzz band Violent Soho is currently camped in the Welsh countryside putting the finishing touches to their awaited new record for Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Peace label, Billboard.biz can reveal.

Gil Norton (The Pixies, Echo and the Bunnymen, Foo Fighters) is behind the desk at Rockfield Studios producing the Brisbane grunge revivalists' as-yet-unnamed set. The band's manager David Benge, director of Melbourne-based music company Speak n Spell, chatted to Billboard.biz about the release, which is due early next year.

"It sounds like Weezer, meets Pixies, meets Nirvana," he says. "They're huge pop songs, but lots of anger and dirt." The audio cuts are reminiscent of "long hair ripped jeans and flannel shirts. It sounds like the suburb of Mansfield 4122 in
Queensland."

Sonic Youth frontman Moore's Universal Music-distributed Ecstatic Peace added Violent Soho to its roster this February, a development which had the band declaring on their MySpace blog as "pretty much our biggest dream come true."

The group already has one album in their discography, 2008's "We Don't Belong Here", released in Australia by Emergency Music.
Old 07.15.2009, 02:47 PM   #191
Moshe
Super Moderator

Angels In America "Cunt Tree Grammar"
Ecstatic Peace

8/10

A Black Sabbath intro with droning three-bar repetition, a slowed-down and drugged-out Nancy Sinatra, a raspy minimalist Björk, with little twisting and stabbing interludes of distortion. Night music, for that long stretch of time between three and four a.m., for those places affixed between abandoned and demolished. The gritty sort of photographs you find in serial killer biographies.

Really excellent transportive guitar that alternates between grunge metal riffs and tuneless plucking, and for a second, it almost even sounds like church bells. The vocals have that raw smokiness and unassuming lucidity that set Angels In America apart from the grating nasal whines of current pop punk bands.

Side B isn't as good, I'm sad to say, but it is interesting. Spoken word over doom acoustics, which seems to speed up and intensity imperceptibly. It's nothing you wanna be left alone with, that's for sure. There is Zeppelin, simplified but still gauzy and alchemistic, gentle accusations, broken vans left on roadsides, and a bit of Peter Murphy without the Gothic narcissism. An experimental moment with that sounds like an alien carnival barker over rising and falling wahs. Their music could carry for miles if they wanted it to.

This all sounds like something I've heard before but cannot place, and there remains the constant underlying itch to identify it in my incapacitated memory, a void surrounded by etched words like Sonic Youth and Bethany Curve. It is, certainly, more memorable and articulate than Nelly's album of not-quite-the-same name. 8/10 -- April Larson (14 July, 2009)
Old 07.15.2009, 02:50 PM   #192
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Jemina Pearl

jemina's blog > | myspace >

NEW RECORD THIS FALL!!
Jemina Pearl: Vox
John Eatherly: Guitars, Bass, Drums, Percussion, Vox

Additional Performances by: Thurston Moore, Iggy Pop, Dave Sitek, Derek Stanton

All Songs by Jemina Pearl and John Eatherly
Produced, Recorded and Mixed by John Agnello at Water Music, Hoboken, NJ
Additional Production by Dave Sitek

Woah, nice. Excited to hear this.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 01:23 AM   #193
Moshe
Super Moderator

THE ENTRANCE BAND TO RELEASE ECSTATIC PEACE!/UNIVERSAL RECORDS DEBUT SELF-TITLED ALBUM OUT SEPTEMBER 1, 2009 BAND WRAPPING UP TOUR WITH SONIC YOUTH, HIT THE ROAD WITH NEBULA IN AUGUST

Ecstatic Peace!/Universal Records are pleased to announce the release of the self-titled debut album by The Entrance Band on September 1, 2009.
An incendiary, ten-song journey into the creative group-mind of three talented and inspired musicians; guitarist and vocalist Guy [FONT='Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial]Blakeslee[/font], drummer Derek W. James and bassist Paz Lenchantin. The three players have committed to the full realization of the power trio, the primal impact of guitar, bass and drums throbbing together in electrified unity.
The songs on The Entrance Band feel and sound like a group realizing their own vision, freed from past constraints. The end result is ten powerful songs, working as a whole to create an ethereal yet driving melodic concoction—heavy without being plodding, psychedelic without being whimsical. Blakeslee sings with unbridled emotion and plays left-handed on an upside-down guitar, scraping and bending the strings in search of new sonic adventures. James’ kinetic rhythms conjure dances both ancient and futuristic. Rounded out and locked together by Lenchantin’s primal and pulsating bass lines, the music transcends any retro stylings and brings their sound into the present day and beyond.
“We are all based in Los Angeles, California” says Baltimore native Blakeslee, “but our origins are in Chicago.” The critically acclaimed LP Prayer of Death (2006) was recorded in Chicago under the name Entrance (a vehicle for mostly solo output by Blakeslee), with collaborative input from Lenchantin and James. All three players contributed to the recording process, but it was not until after the completion of that album that the band played live together as a trio for the first time. “This is the beginning,” confirms Guy. “We’ve been together for three years, but this will be our first presentation to the world as a trio.” Now truly a band, they decided to name this, their first unified effort, The Entrance Band.
Co-founder of Ecstatic Peace! Records, Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore, says, “The Entrance Band’s new music is the most alluring and, yes, entrancing vibe I’ve yet to experience in this new age. A soundtrack for the new groove.”
The album was recorded in East L.A. at Infrasonic Studio, with producer Nadav Eisenman (RTX). The band was recorded essentially live in the studio to preserve the spontaneous interaction they had become known for in performance. While the band has built a reputation for their ability to improvise, on the album, “the songs are pretty structured,” says Paz. “We worked it all out by playing it all live, and then took the knife to it,” notes Blakeslee.
“We want our music to reach as many people as it can,” enthuses Blakeslee. “We know Ecstatic Peace! is a good place to do that, with the guiding hand of someone who has an ethos that’s similar to ours in terms of punk rock. Thurston’s been able to bring a lot of underground stuff to the mainstream without the music or the people getting diluted in any way. We don’t want to compromise, we just want what we do to be broadcast further.”
World, have a listen to The Entrance Band.
TRACK LISTING:
Lookout!
M.L.K
Still Be There
Sing For The One
You’re So Fine
Grim Reaper Blues (pt. 2)
That Is Why
Lives
You Must Turn
Hourglass
Silence On A Crowded Train* LP Bonus Track
ON TOUR WITH NEBULA IN AUGUST
08/04/09 Elbo Room, San Francisco CA
08/05/09 Nocturnum, Eureka CA
08/06/09 Rotture, Portland OR
08/07/09 Chop Suey, Seattle WA
08/10/09 3 Kings Tavern, [FONT='Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial]Denver CO[/font]
08/11/09 Jackpot Saloon, Lawrence KS
08/12/09 Turf Club, St. Paul MN
08/13/09 Bottom Lounge, [FONT='Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial]Chicago IL[/font]
08/14/09 Ravari Room, Columbus OH
08/15/08 Club Echo, Huntington WV
08/16/09 Peabody’s, Cleveland OH
08/17/09 Bug Jar, Rochester NY
08/18/09 Call The Office, London ON
08/19/09 Casbah, Hamilton ON
08/20/09 The Wreck Room, Toronto ON
08/21/09 il Motore, Montreal QC
08/22/09 Santos, [FONT='Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial]New York NY[/font]
08/23/09 Johnny Brendas, Philadelphia PA
08/24/09 Ottobar, [FONT='Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial]Baltimore MD[/font]
08/25/09 Black Cat, Washington DC
08/26/09 Jewish Mother, Virginia Beach VA
08/27/09 Soapbox, Wilmington NC
08/28/09 Masquerade, Atlanta GA
08/29/09 Hi Tone Cafe, Memphis TN
08/31/09 Walters on Washington, Houston TX
09/01/09 Emo’s, Austin TX w/The Entrance Band
09/02/09 Rock Bottom Tattoo Bar, San Antonio TX
09/03/09 Conservatory, Oklahoma City OK
09/05/06 The Sets, Tempe AZ
Old 07.17.2009, 10:45 PM   #194
TheLegitMan
empty page

TheLegitMan has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I downloaded the free PaGODa B-Sides EP the other day... I even made myself a little CD of it. Quite nice, actually.
TheLegitMan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 12:41 AM   #195
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
entrance band....

some great ideas, but so fucking repetitive. and the dude twirling about on stage in some weird angelic complex is just...annoying.

God dude I dunno, something about that band just pissed me off. They're all talented players, but they rubbed me the wrong way. The lyrics from what I could tell were terrible...especially that MLK thing. And I swear the last song they played stole like an Allman Brothers riff or something.
Old 07.18.2009, 03:41 AM   #196
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
God dude I dunno, something about that band just pissed me off. They're all talented players, but they rubbed me the wrong way. The lyrics from what I could tell were terrible...especially that MLK thing. And I swear the last song they played stole like an Allman Brothers riff or something.

funny they sounds also like the black crowes...

chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2009, 02:30 PM   #197
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i like sonic youth. i dont like most of the bands theyve been touring with over the last few years.

I like The Entrance Band. And I've never seen SY live, but from what I've heard a lot of bands they tour with aren't the greatest. They should tour with Beck.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2009, 11:20 AM   #198
Moshe
Super Moderator

MV & EE are following their 2008 release Drone Trailer with their feature-film-for-the-blind "Barn Nova" on October 13, which marks their return to the Ecstatic Peace! label.

Saturday, July 25,2009
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']http://waylonhatchet.com/storage/l_9...=1248577416425"Still harvesting and sustaining in the deep woods of Vermont , MV & EE (Matt "MV" Valentine, once the brawn of the Tower Recordings, and Erika "EE" Elder, CEO of Heroine Celestial Agriculture and The MV & EE Medicine Show) are following their 2008 release Drone Trailer with their feature-film-for-the-blind "Barn Nova" on October 13, which marks their return to the Ecstatic Peace! label.
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']MV & EE aspire to the sort of beautifully rewarding standard in their documented output that Sun Ra or The Grateful Dead achieved. It is with Ecstatic Peace! that their most consistent works have been born and continue reach fans with The Golden Road, their most constant band. Together with Doc Dunn (pedal steel, rhythm guitar, vocals, drums) and Mike Smith (Rickenbacker 4001, vocals) who appeared on Drone Trailer as well as J Mascis (drums, guitar, plate reverb) and Woods' Jeremy Earl (vocal, drums) they take you on the ride now known as Barn Nova and here they jam. Justin Pizzoferrato also appears contributing percussion, space echo and aiding once again at the controls. This album was recorded at MV & EE's own home studio "Maximum Arousal Farm" as well as their current local New England rooms of choice, "Bank Row" (an old mid 1900's bank) and J's home studio "Bisquiteen."
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']These kindred spirits share a wealth of ideas including a serious reverence and desire to upgrade/expand the classic-rock idiom. Barn Nova marks the return of "Spectrasound," MV's production technique that places tones dancing all around the stereo sound field: it has to be heard to be believed. This effect is all the more impressive that the majority of it was created recording live, rather than conjured through studio post-production during mixing. Especially potent on the A side-ending stomp "Summer Magic" where Erika's economical leads go head-to-head with J's on a particularly mind-blowing live-in-studio effort; It brings to mind the vibe of "Green Blues", "Mother Of Thousands" and even an electric "Moon Jook" with matured songwriting.
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Inspired by the likes of Jerry Garcia, John Cipollina and Tom Verlaine, Matt Valentine displays an insatiable appetite to play in various idioms with constant exploration and development. Meanwhile, Elder's harmony leads recall the glorious twinned guitar lines of Canned Heat's Al Wilson & Henry Vestine at their most potent.[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Matt 'mv' Valentine hails from the green collar/blues dirt as a guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer, also known for his explorations on the bantar (a banjo/sitar hybrid he invented). His debut as a leader was released as "Glorious Group Therapy" (with assistance from Erika Elder, Tim Barnes, Dean Roberts) on the cassette format in 1998 by the Polyamory label under the sobriquet 'Matthew Dell'. The oxide was reissued soon after on LP under his proper name by Byron Coley and Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Yod.
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Prior to that release as a 'solo' stringman, he began cutting his big teeth on guitar excursions in the mid 90's when co-founded 'The Tower Recordings' fusing experimental acoustic songform with noise and other disparate avant garde techniques. That ensemble released 8 proper albums alongside various singles, 10-inches, cassettes and compilation appearances. During this time his bands played shows with John Fahey, Sandy Bull, Loren Mazzacane, Bert Jansch, Pearls Before Swine, Rudolph Grey, Borbetomagus, Arthur Doyle, Pavement, The Scissor Girls...as well as a tour with Cat Power. These experiences inspired MV & EE to establish their 'Child Of Microtones' label in 1999 which has been devoted ever since to issuing exploratory music in small editions of the highest quality form. To date they have 34 releases, and the COM subsidary 'Heroine Celestial Agriculture' numbering equal, if not unknown, catalog depth. the 'Heroine' label is run by Erika, along with her "MV & EE Medicine Show".
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Erika 'ee' Elder hails from the Forest and is a singer, lap steel guitarist, designer and a zen wrangler on a 'mini' firebird (a four stringed single humbucking pickup 'mandolin', but more "stoned age man" than Ernest Stoneman). She has been making music alongside MV since his solo debut, and has a composition as a group leader of "the Lady E Quartet" on the critically acclaimed U-Sound compilation. She is currently working on a duo LP with Nels Cline in tribute to John Fahey.
[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Barn Nova is their 4th major release after a decade's worth of recordings issued by their own "Child Of Microtones" label, (an imprint striving to follow in the footsteps of Takoma, Gate 5, Semina and Saturn) as well as additional releases through some of the most respected boutique labels in the world: Time-Lag, Three Lobed, Spirit Of Orr, The Great Pop Supplement, Golden Lab, Qbico, Audible Hiss, Siltbreeze, Blackest Rainbow, Communion, Dicristina, Ecstatic Yod and Honest Jons)."
[/font]
Old 08.10.2009, 12:10 AM   #199
Moshe
Super Moderator

MV & EE with the Golden Road "Barn Nova" Promo Kit
http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/kits/barnnova_kit.html

Old 08.10.2009, 12:24 AM   #200
Moshe
Super Moderator

VIOLENT SOHO INTERVIEW - GRUNGE IS BACK!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth