Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Napalm Deaf - Merzbow (wow) live...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2008, 11:31 AM   #21
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
there was one bloke standing next to me dancing away, whilst it wasn't funky enough for me to want to dance i could understand that guy's urge because i found that the gradual effect of music was quite joyful, and peaceful in it's intent

Interesting. That reminds me that when I saw him a few years ago there were some people dancing as well and I had a similar feeling towards them. It's not exactly dance music, but the sounds were so overwhelming and omnipresent that it inspired some sort of hard to define energy. I remember thinking at one point that I could vaguely recognise beats somewhere deep within the thick layers of sounds and then wondering whether they were actually there or if I was just hearing them in my head only. I didn't dance (of course) but I remember standing with my eyes closed for a few minutes on end.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 11:58 AM   #22
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i saw that punk gg allin dude too.

there was one bloke standing next to me dancing away, whilst it wasn't funky enough for me to want to dance i could understand that guy's urge because i found that the gradual effect of music was quite joyful, and peaceful in it's intent

Even though I have never had the honour of seeing Merzbow live, I am not surprised that some people would dance at one of his gigs, as I do it very often myself when I put some of his records on. There's certain stuff that he plays that has fluctuations on it which either make me feel like I'm listening to some rainbow-like house or make me end up quietly headbanging while sat down.

This is not true of his more chaotic and abrasive stuff, which requires instead being able to stand up during an earthquake.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 02:06 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
He's a drummer, no? The first record of his I heard was Door is open at 8AM, which was apparently based on jazz drum samples. I didn't dance to him, but there were a few people bobbing. Surprising I didn't dance really, it was a pretty epic throb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 04:01 PM   #24
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I didn't dance (of course) but I remember standing with my eyes closed for a few minutes on end.

I did this, it was really quite incredible if you did it for like 5 minutes at a time, you really kind of lost yourself after a while. This is going to sound highly pretentious (but hell, I do it so well) but it was a really kind of soul-cleansing experience, something to the same effect as a cold glass of water or breath of country wind - but on a much more intense scale!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 04:03 PM   #25
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Merzbow was at ULU. Is anyone planning to see Melt Banana at ULU, they're playing two gigs over the coming monthes. I may be hidiously mistaken but aren't they opening for Grandpa Lou at some of his shows, if they are at his London date I won't bother with ULU...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 04.21.2008, 04:07 PM   #26
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
who is grandpa lou?

i shall be going to see both melt banana shows.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 04:10 PM   #27
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

[quote=Toilet & Bowels]who is grandpa lou?
[quote]

Lou Reed!

Excellent, wear an SY t shirt to melt banana next time!

~~Record of the moment~~

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth