Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page animal collective's new one reminds me of genisus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.04.2009, 07:28 PM   #61
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
my album of 09 is acutally that new henry grimes, "solo". but that's for another thread.

but animal collective will surely get the, "best album that sounded like genesis in 09", actually it will probably more likely go down as, "the only decent album that even slightly resembles genesis of all time".
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 07:53 PM   #62
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The Fall's shittiest song could destroy Animal Collective's most beautiful, breathtaking moment any day. Just sayin'.

that's a fact that will always be right.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 08:04 PM   #63
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No one said you did. You were thinkin it

Though, now that you mention it, you constantly feel the need to insert yourself as the primary focus of any thread that even has a 1% connection to animal collective, though, so hey. We know you love Animal Collective, and that's fine and good, but well... it's kinda weeeeeeeeird. i am weird

As for the Fall, there aren't that many threads on them. Because there's not much to debate about, I guess. The Fall's shittiest song could destroy Animal Collective's most beautiful, breathtaking moment any day. Just sayin'.

do not agree. and there's no way this is true.
i think a lot of you guys fall for a certain aesthetic really hard, and then get stubborn about it

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 08:05 PM   #64
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOz2BqwRqPw&NR=1
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 08:19 PM   #65
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
" i think a lot of you guys fall for a certain aesthetic really hard, and then get stubborn about it"

That's an extremely vague and confusing statement, so I have no idea how to respond. If you're talking about overlooking certain bands's bullshit songs because the band themselves are still "aesthetically pleasing" even when the music sucks... no, I don't personally do that. I listen to music because it interests me or I find it moving or whatever.... that's it. A lot of stuff that is "aesthetically pleasing" is ultimately uninteresting to listen to. Even my favorite bands write shitty songs, and I'll be the first to admit it. Though I don't really know what that has to do with this thread or what point you're trying to make really.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 10:55 PM   #66
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i'm saying. you'll overlook a band's faults if they fit what you deem as "good" or cool or in line with what you already listen to.

and you can use it against other bands. like The Fall's shittiest song could destroy Animal Collective's most beautiful, breathtaking moment any day. Just sayin'. is a kind of ridiculous statement. but i think you meant it, and it proves my theory. the fall are a perfect band for most people on this board because they hit on that aesthetic. and animal collective isn't on the same level and never could be, or you won't give them a chance to be, because you already have them pigeon-holed. and lots of people here think they make some 'pseudo-hippie' bullshit or whatever it was that cantankerous and rob said about them many months ago.

Old 02.05.2009, 05:16 AM   #67
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
But, uh, I don't overlook band's faults just because they're "aesthetically pleasing". Captain Beefheart, for example, is my favorite musician of all time -- and I even I can admit he has probably at least 20 songs I fucking HATE! Mostly on those 2 sellout albums but whatever. The Fall? They have a bunch of experimental rave bullshit songs I hate! I could go on all day.

I'm not biased in the least in my opinions. I call it like I hear it. And I don't pigeonhole shit. All bands are created equal in my mind; they either suck or they don't. Animal Collective are an interesting band but to be completely honest, in the genre they inhabit (the so-called new weird america/freak folk/whatever scene; I wouldn't call that a "genre" perse but hey NOW I'M PIGEONHOLIN' 'EM MAAAAAAAN), they are definitely amongst the lesser bands. I mean, if you want to talk about groundbreaking, innovative, forward-thinking, melodically pleasing music, CERBERUS SHOAL is the ultimate band in that genre. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.

It seems like you automatically act like someone's biased or there's some hidden agenda behind a person not thinking the new Animal Collective album is amazing. But here's a sad fact: It's just not that great of an album; in fact, it's a chore to sit through. It does have some good songs on it, though. And I'm glad a popular band actually has some listenable songs. But damn get off your "Animal Collective is God, fuck anyone that says otherwise!" kick.

Old 02.05.2009, 07:37 AM   #68
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i like it. but the last song annoys me by the way he pronounces "throat". but its still a good song

its the 1st AC album i've heard, and its not what i was expecting at all. at all. i was expecting guitars and stuff, not blissed out rave tracks. was a nice supprise
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 08:58 AM   #69
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the ac albums is ok, at best..my girls is amazing... shit, ive posted this very same thing before..... would i listen to bend sinister (falls worst album) before merriweather.... probably...therefore fall pissing on ac is proven....its aestethically pleasing to me how people get offended so easily like minded people not liking their afforementioned taste in music......

i mean i love the magik markers... id be dead if i took all the marker hating on here seriously..

jesus what a bore this place and world would be if we all agreed on the same thing and went around listening to the same shit! man it would be like the mtv2 board!!!!

anyway....... zu- carboniferious pisses on anything anyone will release in 2009!
Old 02.05.2009, 08:58 AM   #70
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
hey, i didn't start this thread. why don't you guys make yrselfs useful and start some The Fall thread or something?

fucking great idea!!!!
Old 02.05.2009, 09:03 AM   #71
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
This is the first AC album that my wife has popped into the CD player on her own. That makes me smile.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 09:05 AM   #72
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I couldn't care less who loves or hates what, but davenotdead almost seems to take every anti-AC remark personally. Which is a funny little gimmick to have but this band's certainly not good enough to warrant that kinda reaction.

Old 02.05.2009, 09:08 AM   #73
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
didn't everybody agree that the band was shit?
just askin'
Old 02.05.2009, 09:12 AM   #74
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

They've certainly written more bad songs than good ones, if you look at their entire discography.

Old 02.05.2009, 09:18 AM   #75
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't care less who loves or hates what, but davenotdead almost seems to take every anti-AC remark personally. Which is a funny little gimmick to have but this band's certainly not good enough to warrant that kinda reaction.

I love this album. And certainly I'd say I'm a huge fan of the band. But they have misfires, of course. (DANSE MANATEE for instance). No question.
Old 02.05.2009, 09:27 AM   #76
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They've certainly written more bad songs than good ones, if you look at their entire discography.
ha ha the diplomacy
Old 02.05.2009, 10:04 AM   #77
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, just listen to Cerberus's "Mr. Boy Dog", "Land We All Believe In", split with Alvarius B, or "Chaiming the Knobblesome". You will see the light!

Old 02.05.2009, 01:44 PM   #78
davenotdead
invito al cielo

i don't take it personally.

i just argue with a passion. its a good thing, right?

anyway, if people had said a lot of this about strawberry jam, i wouldn't care so much. I just want everyone to see the cultural/genre/indie-mainstream/amazing-new-pop bridge-gapper of an album that this is.

and for a band that started out in noise pop or something close to it, this is a big step in getting many people's mainstream/shit ears in tune with ours.

I just want everyone to recorgnize it as its happening, because the times they are achangin.

Old 02.05.2009, 02:04 PM   #79
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips
I was reading in the other thread that Derek described Animal Collective as "the best band of the decade". An interestingly quick change of heart... but to each their own!
Yeah I know. I really like them, but I'm just really getting sick of this new album. And getting sick of reading about it, hearing about it etc.

Mind you, when I said that they were "the best band of the decade" I was going through a phase of constantly listening to them and now that that phase has died out, I have no desire to listen to them whatsoever. I dunno.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 02:26 PM   #80
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I guess I'd sort of agree with davesnotdead. I remember hearing HERE COMES THE INDIAN when it came out. Back then I'd never think that an AC album would be on the Billboard chart.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth