Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Top 5 Kubrick films
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2009, 07:55 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
The war part of it just felt like every other Vietnam movie ever.

Not so sure about that. But if you say so. I'm just going to say, the final shot is so haunting and eery with Joker hiding his peace symbol while killing the sniper... also... with the soldiers marching together, and happily singing the Mickey Mouse Club song... they've all been "turned" into soldiers... the fact that they are singing such a sweet, happy, innocent song and the fact that a common, good-natured person like you or me can be turned into a hardened soldier.. yeah... wars and armies can strip a person of his or her individuality. Kind of a cliché point but very well-played. The first half is an interesting story with lots of quotable dialogue and is easy to watch but the second half is way more interesting and powerful, to me. Either way, why separate them. Both halves together = great film.

I will say, for someone named "Joker", that dude isn't very funny.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2009, 11:04 AM   #22
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Lolita

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 07:37 PM   #23
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
We just attended the Kubrick exhibit at LACMA, and am getting obsessed all over again. We took a bunch of pictures.

http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/stanley-kubrick

2001: A Space Odyssey is far and away my favorite Kubrick, and probably my favorite film. I am set to see it on the big screen next Friday (my first time for that), and am super excited. Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man is my other favorite film; both are slowly paced, largely non-verbal perilous journeys into otherness.

There are some crazy super obsessed websites related to all this, such as:

http://www.2001spacesuit.com/Contents.html

I am going back and watching all the early ones I havn't seen yet.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think A.I. is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Who knows if it was Kubrick's fault or Spielberg's fault or Jude Law's fault or Haley Jole Osmont's fault. But it sucked.

Actually, it was Teddy's fault.

I think it's got a lot going on under the surface, and I appreciate any film that focuses on the construct of identity so intensely. From a psychological standpoint, I think it's a jewel. And creepy as all bloody hell.

The second half leaves me cold though. It should have ended with the helicopter crash and subsequent voice over. I'd say Spielberg's misconception of Kubrick's intentions is to blame. Spielberg was the wrong guy to take on the project. How different can two directors be? There's bound to be some missteps when a family friendly blockbuster giant takes on the final project of the king of the cinematic mindfuck.

Like Bono producing some long lost Sonic Youth LP.

By the way, Dr. Strangelove. Nothing compares. Clockwork and FMJ tie for second.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2013, 02:04 AM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I like this.

Clockwork
Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
Lolita
Eyes Wide Shut (sorry im a sucker for masked orgy parties and tiny man tom cruise at the top of his game)

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2013, 02:05 AM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Michael Bay should make David Lynch's movie.

Ratner should do Herzog's movie.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth