Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2006, 07:23 AM   #421
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Review pending assumed lucidity, post-hangover. Who got my tape then? I'll hold out on the track listing till I've given it a few more listens.

Don't worry if you hate everything on there. I can handle it.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 09:16 AM   #422
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Mine came today! Looks most delicious. Distressed female weightlifter on the cover. Track list tucked in seperately like a little love note.

Haven't peeked at the track list yet, have played four tracks so far, recognize Husker Du and Wire. I'm really enjoying this. I'll provide a full review when I get a chance.

Who's the master behind this gem?
Old 08.14.2006, 10:11 AM   #423
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Mine came today! Looks most delicious. Distressed female weightlifter on the cover. Track list tucked in seperately like a little love note.

Haven't peeked at the track list yet, have played four tracks so far, recognize Husker Du and Wire. I'm really enjoying this. I'll provide a full review when I get a chance.

Who's the master behind this gem?

That'll be mine.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 10:26 AM   #424
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
The cover incidentally, was made from a postcard which came with Bob Bert's BB Gun magazine.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 03:23 PM   #425
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Don't worry if you hate everything on there. I can handle it.

No, I don't hate anything on there. The Prince cover is a little suspect, but in the context of a mix-tape that's a good thing... if that makes sense? It's a nice mix... I have recognised nothing on there so far, but lots of things that could be someone I know. Generally, I'm really glad it came from someone who lived through an era that was pretty diverse musically - insofar as the dance/rock/metal lines weren't so solid as they are now. Or perhaps that's the skill of your mix-tapery, there's a lovely continuum of tempo in there... something which I resolutely avoid in mix-tapes. I'm tempted to say there's a Scritti Polliti track on there, but my knowledge of 80's stuff of the ilk here is pretty poor. If you could send me the tracklist I would be grateful, if only for the fact that one of the singers sounds for all the world like a good friend of mine.

Yes. The summary is I'm most pleased - I was a little worried that I was going to get something with a load of the indie guitar shit I hate, which is blissfully absent. I'm most impressed that I have failed to recognise anything in anything more cogent than a 'that sounds a bit like...' fashion. Thanks muchly chap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 03:28 PM   #426
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
The cover incidentally, was made from a postcard which came with Bob Bert's BB Gun magazine.

Cool. I've gotten through about six tracks so far, only. I've only been able to listen to bits in my walk to the car and back to the office, etc. No tape player in my car anymore (just traded my gas-guzzling jeep for a midsized sedan--the jeep sucked gas, but at least it's audio system gave me options. Now I'm stuck with a CD player for the commute.)

So far, I recognize Husker Du (fm Metal Circus?--pretty early Husker, anyway), Wire, Dave Thomas, and Pere Ubu. The first track is great, and I don't know who it is, but I'm going to try to go all the way through the tape before looking at the track list. Sounds great so far!
Old 08.14.2006, 03:49 PM   #427
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, I don't hate anything on there. The Prince cover is a little suspect, but in the context of a mix-tape that's a good thing... if that makes sense? It's a nice mix... I have recognised nothing on there so far, but lots of things that could be someone I know. Generally, I'm really glad it came from someone who lived through an era that was pretty diverse musically - insofar as the dance/rock/metal lines weren't so solid as they are now. Or perhaps that's the skill of your mix-tapery, there's a lovely continuum of tempo in there... something which I resolutely avoid in mix-tapes. I'm tempted to say there's a Scritti Polliti track on there, but my knowledge of 80's stuff of the ilk here is pretty poor. If you could send me the tracklist I would be grateful, if only for the fact that one of the singers sounds for all the world like a good friend of mine.

Yes. The summary is I'm most pleased - I was a little worried that I was going to get something with a load of the indie guitar shit I hate, which is blissfully absent. I'm most impressed that I have failed to recognise anything in anything more cogent than a 'that sounds a bit like...' fashion. Thanks muchly chap.

My criteria were:

a. vinyl only
b. no earlier than the start of my teenage years
c. no later than my 21st birthday. No good reason, really.
d. nothing too obvious (ie no Fall, SY etc)

I'll post the tracklist in one minute.

Old 08.14.2006, 03:50 PM   #428
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I'm glad you're cool with the content.

‘This Is What You Get For Joining In’ (2006, my record label)

Art Of Noise – Closing
Gaye Bykers On Acid – All Hung Up
Bogshed – Jobless Youngsters
Acid Reign – Humanoia
Anne Pigalle – Intermission
Fields of the Nephilim – Moonchild (second Seal)
Natural Life – Strange World
Ice Cube – We Had To Tear This Motherf***er Up
Age Of Chance – Kiss
Art of Noise – Egypt

Tears For Fears – Empire Building
Big Stick – Jesus Was Born (On an Indian Reservation)
Propaganda – p:machinery (beta)
Scorpio Rising – Watermelon
Funkmeister – War Dance
Steinsky and Mass Media – The Motorcade Sped On
Alien Sex Fiend – The Impossible Mission
The Bambi Slam – Don’t it Make You Feel…
The Barmy Army – Sharp as a Needle

You may have noticed that the final track on side one criticises Tears for Fears, and the opening track on side two is Tears for fears. What larks.

Old 08.14.2006, 03:59 PM   #429
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I'm glad I don't actually know much about many of them. Should've noticed Ice Cube, but I don't actually own any of his stuff.

I put a couple of incredibly obvious choices on my mixtape. I like obvious choices. But sparingly. But I also like non-obvious choices as well. It's all gravy, really.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.14.2006, 04:00 PM   #430
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Any you especially like?

Old 08.14.2006, 04:02 PM   #431
Glice
invito al cielo

Alien Sex Fiend, who I'd had down as an insignificant load of Goth cack.

Quote:
Old 08.14.2006, 04:04 PM   #432
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
...insignificant load of Goth cack.

MMM. I bet you just love Fields of the Nephilim then.

That ASF single is the only thing by them that I own. Side two has a bit of a music-with-dialogue theme running through it (5 of the 9 tracks).

Old 08.14.2006, 04:10 PM   #433
Glice
invito al cielo

I've seen Fields of the Nephilim, as it happens. It was a good night out. Which reminds me of the greatness of Sheep on Drugs, who are still a great live band.

Quote:
Old 08.14.2006, 04:11 PM   #435
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Oh, Sheep on Drugs were so close to being on the tape! They just missed out. 'A to H and Back Again' (12" version), it would have been.

Old 08.14.2006, 04:11 PM   #436
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
big ups on your acid reign inclusion, priest!!!

Cheers mate. Big up to someone else for having heard of them! From the excellent LP 'The Fear'. 'Twas either them or Testament for the metal slot. But Acid Reign got the nod for being less well-known.

Old 08.14.2006, 04:12 PM   #437
Glice
invito al cielo

15 Minutes of Fame missed the cut on mine.

Quote:
Old 08.14.2006, 04:14 PM   #438
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
testament?! holy shit! i never figured someone from this very board would listen to them...they are definitely there, on the fine line between stupid and clever.

acid reign are way more obscure and fit way better on your mix, being british and all.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 04:17 PM   #439
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I'm not a big fan, but I have the 'Souls of Black' LP. Some good songs, especially the title track.

Quote:
15 Minutes of Fame missed the cut on mine.

A couple of months or so ago, I sent a much shorter version of the same mixtape to another boardie, and that was the Sheep on Drugs song I put on.

Old 08.14.2006, 04:43 PM   #440
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm not a big fan either, i was a fan, like on the early 90's. they have some good stuff and some laughable stuff. i still listen to them for a laugh and a scream along

my second testament tape was souls of black, the title track is awesome and so is malpractice but i do reckon that's a weak album...the new order it's their best, because it's both funny and with good heavy songs. (the first tape was a live ep, i borrowed it and copied tape to tape between my mom's stereo and my walkman with a frankenstein of a cable i made myself with lots of electrical tape...i even xeroxed the cover and colored it afterwards.)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
192021 22 232425 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth