Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page sunburned no neck
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.20.2006, 07:59 AM   #1
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
anybody wanna suggest a good album from each of these two bands?
ive seen NNCK countless time but never listened to any albums and thought it about time. i never saw sunburned hand of the man though, but i guess that will change in december.

ps. NNCK are the latest addition to ATP
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 08:02 AM   #2
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
glice is gonna shit.

i've never heard a sunburned recording that i really dug unfortunately but live they were fooking great. Intonomancy is a pretty solid NNCK disc
Old 07.20.2006, 08:11 AM   #3
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
i never saw sunburned live. NNCK only got me once of teh 5 times i saw em.
ill check that album out. cheers,

if anyone can give me their favorite sunburned id be happy.
Old 07.20.2006, 08:17 AM   #4
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
can't wait to see NNCK.. so much decent shit at ATP this year, I hope there are no clashes between shit I wanna see...
Old 07.20.2006, 08:26 AM   #5
wax
the destroyed room

there shouldnt be any clashes.
when sonic youth did a day at atp a few years ago, the atp people had made the timetable so that the bands clashed. but then SY turned up and put a stop to that and had it changed so that they just overlapped a bit.
im sure thurston will insist on it. hes gonna wanna see all the bands im sure.
the only thing is, its fucking hard work seeing great bands all day, every day with no break. your back gets tired fast, you get hungry but dont wanna miss a sound, you wanna have some free time, but theres just too many bands...constantly!!!
i found it hard to properly dig each band as i should have due to the high concentration of quality. when all the bands are great, great bands become the norm, and its very hard to get blown away when you slip into that kind of feeling.
thats why im kinda glad that this year i am not that interested in half the bands. ill have more fun if i can go and see bands every few hours, and have enough free time to eat and enjoy the weekend in other ways.
getting the shit knocked out of me by music takes a great deal of energy and i just cant take it more than a few times a day.......it feels like a waste.
Old 07.20.2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
there shouldnt be any clashes.
when sonic youth did a day at atp a few years ago, the atp people had made the timetable so that the bands clashed. but then SY turned up and put a stop to that and had it changed so that they just overlapped a bit.
im sure thurston will insist on it. hes gonna wanna see all the bands im sure.
the only thing is, its fucking hard work seeing great bands all day, every day with no break. your back gets tired fast, you get hungry but dont wanna miss a sound, you wanna have some free time, but theres just too many bands...constantly!!!
i found it hard to properly dig each band as i should have due to the high concentration of quality. when all the bands are great, great bands become the norm, and its very hard to get blown away when you slip into that kind of feeling.
thats why im kinda glad that this year i am not that interested in half the bands. ill have more fun if i can go and see bands every few hours, and have enough free time to eat and enjoy the weekend in other ways.
getting the shit knocked out of me by music takes a great deal of energy and i just cant take it more than a few times a day.......it feels like a waste.

i really liked the endurance testing aspect of it, and found watching each band invigorated me to see the next one, and by the end of the third day my brain was a mess and although i was more or less sober i could hardly maintain conversation, and music was kind of the only thing i was capable of comprehending.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 08:36 AM   #7
whorefrost
invito al cielo

i thought there wasn't an immense amount of good stuff at atp 04, saturday was fucking awesome mind... i know what you mean tho, i hope BYOP or some shit like that will be playing around dinner time so i can get some scran... also, at atp 04, the thing about the overlap was a few times i ended up catching partial sets which was ok but kind of unsatisfying in a way... this year i'm, same as 04, i'm going to make a list of must-see bands and then the rest of the time i'm just gonna chill, wander about half pissed..
Old 07.20.2006, 08:46 AM   #8
wax
the destroyed room

yeah, im just talking about the one day, sy day.
god knows how i would take 3 days of solid music.
it killed me. by the evening, i found mysef watching bands that i knew were amazing, playing amazing sets, but it just wasnt hitting me. i felt like a zombie.
i always have this trouble though. i think whether or not a bands blows me away has alot to do with how im feeling. when i saw boredoms at teh scala around that time, it was like i wasnt there, i couldnt get into it although i knew it was probably one of the best gigs id ever be at.
wierd. its a bad way to be. i had a much better time at gallo's atp.
i loved about 3 of the gigs at that one, but had an amazing time with amazing people and an amazing atmosphere whilst getting knocked off my feet three times in three days.
i somehow prefered that feeling to the one of having just seen 13 bands that id usualy kill to see and feeling cheated that i couldnt absorb it in the way i would if i saw them one night at a time.
Old 07.20.2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Sunburned-No Magic Man
Old 07.20.2006, 09:20 AM   #10
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
yeah, im just talking about the one day, sy day.
god knows how i would take 3 days of solid music.
it killed me. by the evening, i found mysef watching bands that i knew were amazing, playing amazing sets, but it just wasnt hitting me. i felt like a zombie.
i always have this trouble though. i think whether or not a bands blows me away has alot to do with how im feeling. when i saw boredoms at teh scala around that time, it was like i wasnt there, i couldnt get into it although i knew it was probably one of the best gigs id ever be at.
wierd. its a bad way to be. i had a much better time at gallo's atp.
i loved about 3 of the gigs at that one, but had an amazing time with amazing people and an amazing atmosphere whilst getting knocked off my feet three times in three days.
i somehow prefered that feeling to the one of having just seen 13 bands that id usualy kill to see and feeling cheated that i couldnt absorb it in the way i would if i saw them one night at a time.

I know exactly what you all mean... in many ways the SY day in '04 was probably one of the best days of my life as far as seeing amazing bands back to back, but I was completely drained by the end of the day... overall I had a much better time at the Gallo ATP last year, and the 1st weekend this year for exactly the same reasons... I didn't like as many bands and had much more time to enjoy the experience... I even walked to Dungeness and back!!... of the bill that has been announced so far this year I want to see around 90% of it so it's pretty obvious that something has got to give... it will be impossible to see everything, and more importantly, absorb everything... although I might die trying.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 09:22 AM   #11
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Haven't heard any Sunburned.

But I can recommend NNCK's Qvaris.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 09:39 AM   #12
dracula mountain
empty page

dracula mountain has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
sunburned hand of the man are amazing live, i saw them twice on their recent tour and both times were completly different but mad.. yeah mad is the word haha,

i recommend the album by them called "headdress", its the best, well from what ive heard imo.
dracula mountain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 12:12 PM   #13
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
for nnck i'll say sticks and stones or qvaris.

i haven't heard more than 4-5 sunburned hand of the man albums i think, but out of those i like headdress the most. but that's out of print, so check soulseek for that.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 01:49 PM   #14
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
for nnck i'll say sticks and stones or qvaris.

i haven't heard more than 4-5 sunburned hand of the man albums i think, but out of those i like headdress the most. but that's out of print, so check soulseek for that.

def no magic man for sunburned. anatomy vol. 1 or rare wood too. all 3 are heavy pysch albums that stellar from beginning to end. if you want to get into the more interesting stuff, try complexion (awesome garden show from 2 summers ago that i was at...) or secret in disguise. honestly there is so much to choose from them, but they are all gorgeous and perfect in their own individual ways...

as for nnck, i say sticks & stones or qvaris... also letters from serth, embryonnck, and the collective imaginings of (live disc from nov 2004 in the shadows of the 2nd bush election. beautifully disturbing...). again another band whos stuff is fantastic on each and every release...
dnorsen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 01:49 PM   #15
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
oh yea dave bohill and paul labreque from sunburned post here occassionally... so maybe they'll chime in too with some recommendations...
dnorsen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 02:45 PM   #16
wax
the destroyed room

thanks for all the recommendations.
ill check em out!
Old 07.20.2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
First Kingdom of the Ghost, Dutch Money and Parallel Easters are all good ones to get by NNCK. First 2 are vinyl only but there are copies around still. Also, Intonomancy, Sticks and Stones.., Qvaris and the Embryonnck are all great. I Think Sticks... and Intonomancy are my favourites. Birth of Both Worlds is also really great but oop...worth a download for sure.

As for Sunburned I'd say No Magic Man, Jaybird, Anatomy vol1 or Rare Wood.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 07:24 PM   #18
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I'm kind of surprised none of you said Wedlock from Sunburned.

The first track from No Magic Man makes me dizzy...in a good way.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 02:23 AM   #19
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
what's all that fuss about NNCK?
man, I've seen them once and I really didn't like it....or did I just not get it?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 03:06 AM   #20
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
If you've only seen them once and not really heard any of their records then it's perhaps no surprise that you don't see what's so great about them. For me at least it took more than just a couple of listens to really get into them heavily. Listen to one of their records and give it a chance....
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth