Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Mark Napier's Distorted Barbie
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2006, 11:26 AM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
http://users.rcn.com/napier.interpor...ie/barbie.html

This is about the sacred cows of western culture. The golden idols. Not symbols of religous power, they are symbols of buying power, profit and revenue streams. These are secular idols known in the corporate world simply as "cash cows".
One such cow is called "Barbie".
Idols of identity. Symbols representing the values and traditions of a consumeristic society. Inscribed with the knowledge and the survivial skills of past generations. Rosetta stones that silently teaches a way of living, storing accumulated beliefs for future generations.

Humans are story tellers. By the flickering light of campfires and candles people have told stories of history, stories of success, stories of battles, survival, and death. This is the thread that binds generations and furthers the knowledge of cultures.
These are fictions, yet they are as real as the air we breathe. Societies live and die by beliefs. A different way of seeing, of thinking, of believing can create a whole new tradition and culture. Rome did not concede to the Christians based on their weapons or the power of their army. It was the Christian beliefs that created a new empire.

Pick any icon. Barbie is a perfect subject for an inquiry into symbols. She is nearly ubiquitous, crosses international and religous borders. She is available to children and so is a part of their education and growth, and she is a product of the contemporary commercial image making industry, in some ways the same industry that produced the images of Ronald Regan, Kate Moss, Nintendo and the Persian Gulf War. What stories does this icon tell?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
The truth about Barbie and her world is quite frightening,
'cause it's manipulative to children and adults alike.
I really had pleasure in seeing how Yes Man Bonanno, dealt with her and G.I. Joe.
He put them both into perspective, so to speak.

Have you heard of the Barbie Liberation Organization?

Media activist Mike Bonanno, a member of the highly publicized Barbie Liberation Army, participated in the campaign to switch hundreds of Barbie and G.I. Joe voice boxes and then return the toys to store shelves. (This intervention created an uproarious storm of amused press and was more thoroughly recounted in Craig Baldwin's 1995 quasi-doc Sonic Outlaws.)

Barbie Liberation NOW!!!
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 10:43 PM   #3
towelie
little trouble girl

towelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant futuretowelie has a brilliant future
Oh man, I'm so high right now I forgot what I was going to type.
towelie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth