Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page sy to meet at the end of this year to start work on new album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2011, 05:04 AM   #21
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)

other than the March Japan Benefit of course.

...and the London gig on new years eve...the gig started at 00.00.

Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2011, 01:40 PM   #22
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Based on the work he did on Sleater-Kinney's "The Woods", I think Sonic Youth should bring in Dave Fridmann to produce their new platter. I love the way that record sounds...live, raw, blown, and about to come off the tracks at any moment [see the jam section of 'Jumpers']. If Fridmann could capture SY's live energy on record it would simply be amazing.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2011, 06:25 PM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
More musicians maybe? I think Jim O'Rourke really reinvigorated the band.

They could add a key player, a brass section, and an effects manipulator/loop manipulator.

Adding a brass section worked for the Kinks in the way of allowing them to change their music significantly. Preservation Act 1 anyone? Great album, and I was almost afraid to listen to it because I knew it would be such a departure from the Kinks of the late 60s that I adored.

Of course SY's brass section would be more punk inspired- think "Oh Bondage, Up Yours!", "New York's Alright", and "Swingo."

I love the keys on Sympathy for the Strawberry, and a keyboardist could also play mellotron + synth.

A loop manipulator/effects dude could do all kinds of sweet oscillations plus loop vocals and pitch shift them and all sorts of neat stuff.

I think meanwhile, Thurston + Lee could redo their pedalboards. They could buy some fuzzes custom made for them by me & also get some electro-harmonix HOGs for weird pitch shifting and stuff. Lee can keep the ring modulator, but he has to use it more.

Musically, for inspiration I think they should look to the whole post-hardcore/post-rock/math rock scene of the late 90s and 00s (I'm talking Fugazi, Shipping News, Unwound, Slint), to the Brian Eno/David Bowie album Low for its textures, to the Brian Eno/Talking Heads album Stop Making Sense, and finally to current band Deerhoof.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth