Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Teenage Riot
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2011, 10:36 AM   #41
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i did read the whole thread and did not claim that you don not like electronic music. but how could you claim that it is music but that those who create it are not musicians? you said that anything that cannot be played without electricity is not a musical instrument, and i said that a turntable could technically work without electricity.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 10:51 AM   #42
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
but how could you claim that it is music but that those who create it are not musicians?

Because you can be a composer without being a musician (not mutually exclusive). A musician has to be able to play an instrument. It works the other way too; you can be a musician without being a composer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
you said that anything that cannot be played without electricity is not a musical instrument, and i said that a turntable could technically work without electricity.

No, I said if you can't make music when the power goes out you aren't really a musician. Should we expect some "acoustic" turn table sets then? Or are you just grasping at straws? A DJ is useless without a mixer (and power).
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:27 AM   #43
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Because you can be a composer without being a musician (not mutually exclusive). A musician has to be able to play an instrument. It works the other way too; you can be a musician without being a composer.

your logic is flawed. because the electronic musician is the person creating the music. and if you do claim that it is music, then the person who creates it, not composes, but physically makes the sounds happen, would be a musician. i dont for instance consider phillip jeck and christian marclay to be composers but rather musicians.

Quote:
No, I said if you can't make music when the power goes out you aren't really a musician. Should we expect some "acoustic" turn table sets then? Or are you just grasping at straws? A DJ is useless without a mixer (and power).
regardless, there are turntables that can be made to make sounds without electricity, just like the grammaphone. yes it would not sound the same as with a mixer and whatnot, but it still makes sounds. just like many electric guitarists who rely heavily on effects would not have much to do when the power goes out.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:32 AM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Some nit-picking points (seeing as this is already an entirely preposterous discussion): There are DJs who can and have played acoustically - Otomo Yoshihide and Project Dark being the first two that come to mind. I'd be surprised if Marclay hadn't as well.

Schumann played the piano but ruined his fingers trying to stretch them, hence turning to being solely a composer (in your terms). Linguistically, the point I'm making is that producer, composer, arranger [etc] are all sub-categories of 'musician' rather than the other way around; that you're struggling to make a coherent point suggests that the world doesn't exist in your atomistic linguistic solipsisms.

Edit: More nit-picking -

Quote:
Did you know the fingering on a clarinet is basically the same as an alto saxophone? So you could probably play one if you ever picked one up. Fun. (I play alto sax).

It's not 'basically the same'. It's definitely similar, but the one doesn't immediately transpose to the other. I've picked up an Alto recently and it's very different fingering to my Eb clarinet. The embouchure is very different as well. You can get a sound out of each, certainly, but playing them well is a very different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:37 AM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
you can play clarinet? sweet that is the instrument i have mastered. Actually I have been playing everyday lately.

Yeah - not as well as I did a few years ago (practice has turned elsewhere lately) but it's good fun. Unfortunately, tone is something that needs more practice than I can seriously give it. Sadface.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.01.2011, 12:33 PM   #46
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
hevusa, your logic is faulty because is too centered around a set of values that somehow consider that musicians only play real instruments (I will not attach them to any style of music, though I think, from my own personal experience, that this attitude is most common within rock music fans especially - not jazz or classical, or any other style based on acoustic/electric instruments). Unfortunately you're too attached to those values to even be able to think outside of them and to realize that fundamentally, your definition is biased, no matter how many people point out why you're wrong (I don't actually think I will change your point of view).
Just read any definition of "musician", anywhere. I'll take the most basic you can find on wikipedia : "A musician is a person who writes, performs, or makes music". That is all. Any person who picks up a random item, bangs on it and asserts it's a musical piece is a musician. As Glice said, this does not make you a good musician. A distinction has to be made. Just like "Art" does not instantly mean "masterpiece". You need to get rid of your prejudices to realise that just as an electric guitar is just as real as a clarinet, a sampler or a mixer or a turntable is just as real as an electric guitar. Because there's no such thing as "realness", or "real musical instrument". A musical instrument is, by definition, a tool (cause really, an instrument is a tool) that is used to produce music. There is no mention of any "you need to be able to produce music when the power goes out" or "you need to be able to play acoustic instruments". That is all. But you are blinded by your values and therefore not able to see it (and sadly, you probably will not even try to think outside those values and try and understand what everyone is telling you)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 12:48 PM   #47
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Now to answer the original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
At the university campus where I work, there are pockets of student protest groups that've managed to comandeer their own little meeting rooms, with stereos and the like. I catch what they're listening to and it's always either dubstep or reggae or the odd bit of hip hop. I don't think I've ever heard a rock record once. Contrast that with stories of US troops whizzing around the middle east in tanks, blarring out Pantera and Neil Young CDs. So does Rock have even the slightest relevance to young rebellious teenagers anymore?

I believe this is linked to the fact that nowadays - obviously this has been the case for quite a while now -, rock music and the whole rock culture (philosophies, clothes, etc) are being diffused massively by basically any kind of media in the world - obviously not ALL kinds of rock music and rock culture but only a limited fringe of it, which is still presented as representative of rock as it is (though it quite isn't) -, are accepted as normal by the people who govern your country (as Glice pointed out, Cameron is a Smiths fan, for instance), etc. And you cannot associate something with rebellion if the system you are trying to fight against (I know what I am saying is very, very cliché, but hey) is precisely promoting it. You want something that seemingly differs from what this system is promoting (I say seemingly because in the end, I don't really think that most reggae or hip hop really propose a really rebellious message anymore - I might be wrong - ; dubstep, as a mostly instrumental music, does not even really contain a real message - and though the way it has seemingly grown up from its roots in the London underground to the international mainstream only by itself, with little to no help from the media, might be seen as rebellious, I doubt it really is -). I'm not sure what I'm saying has much sense, but it has in my head ahah.

(and obviously I'm not trying to say one form of music is better than another. I'm just trying to find reasons why rock would not be considered as rebellious anymore while reggae would)
Old 02.01.2011, 01:02 PM   #48
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't alto sax more similiar to flute than clarinet? I played clarinet years ago and I had to learn the fingerings for the alto sax.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 01:13 PM   #49
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Also:

hevusa, why can't you just admit you're wrong? Do you not think that maybe you're wrong if no one is agreeing with you and you have pretty much every intelligent member of the board grinding against what you think?
Old 02.01.2011, 01:27 PM   #50
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
hevusa, your logic is faulty because is too centered around a set of values that somehow consider that musicians only play real instruments (I will not attach them to any style of music, though I think, from my own personal experience, that this attitude is most common within rock music fans especially - not jazz or classical, or any other style based on acoustic/electric instruments). Unfortunately you're too attached to those values to even be able to think outside of them and to realize that fundamentally, your definition is biased, no matter how many people point out why you're wrong (I don't actually think I will change your point of view).
Just read any definition of "musician", anywhere. I'll take the most basic you can find on wikipedia : "A musician is a person who writes, performs, or makes music". That is all. Any person who picks up a random item, bangs on it and asserts it's a musical piece is a musician. As Glice said, this does not make you a good musician. A distinction has to be made. Just like "Art" does not instantly mean "masterpiece". You need to get rid of your prejudices to realise that just as an electric guitar is just as real as a clarinet, a sampler or a mixer or a turntable is just as real as an electric guitar. Because there's no such thing as "realness", or "real musical instrument". A musical instrument is, by definition, a tool (cause really, an instrument is a tool) that is used to produce music. There is no mention of any "you need to be able to produce music when the power goes out" or "you need to be able to play acoustic instruments". That is all. But you are blinded by your values and therefore not able to see it (and sadly, you probably will not even try to think outside those values and try and understand what everyone is telling you)

So anyone who can make a collage is an artist then. Who knew?
I guess I need to update my resume. It can now include artist, dancer, photographer, sculpture, etc. Awesome!
Old 02.01.2011, 01:28 PM   #51
Glice
invito al cielo

The thing that we're sort of avoiding is the ideology of the rockist; as soon as he admits that indirectly-affected instruments are musically valid, his giving precedence to rock music has to incorporate a more sophisticated aesthetic; essentially, his aesthetic as it stands is a pillar of salt and re-affirming that ideology is the only (delusional) way of maintaining some spurious sense of 'musicianly' superiority.

What happens if someone who reads music (me, fugazifan) says that a 'real' musician has to be able to read? That makes us* wankers, right? But it's the same structure of argument - spurious half-baked notions of (doubly) reified 'quality' which ignore the subtle dynamics and contours of aesthetics as they are diffused through social interactions.

*Edit: to be clear, it only makes me a wanker for being the one who says it, unless Herr fan chooses to repeat it.

Quote:
Old 02.01.2011, 01:30 PM   #52
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
hevusa, why can't you just admit you're wrong?

I'm wrong. Anyone who can use a computer is considered a musician these days I guess. No actual performance abilities needed. Also news to me... I'm an artist!
Old 02.01.2011, 01:33 PM   #53
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
So anyone who can make a collage is an artist then.
Yes. But anyone who can make a collage is not a good artist. That is the difference. The notion of "artist" is neutral. "Good artist" implies that the work of this artist has qualities - though I would argue that such qualities are actually purely subjective.

Quote:
Who knew?
Pretty much anybody who is aware of the evolution of art in general in the 20th century..
Old 02.01.2011, 01:35 PM   #54
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
What happens if someone who reads music (me, fugazifan) says that a 'real' musician has to be able to read? That makes us* wankers, right?

I think that makes you right, not wankers. Unless you could consider someone who is illiterate a writer. Interesting topic though.

For me it is strange to consider people who use a device that requires no musical ability as musicians. Go figure.
Old 02.01.2011, 01:38 PM   #55
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think that makes you right, not wankers.
So, say, someone like Dorian Concept, who can read music, but writes it on a computer, is like half a real musician ?
Old 02.01.2011, 01:39 PM   #56
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm wrong. Anyone who can use a computer is considered a musician these days I guess. No actual performance abilities needed.
Yeah.

Quote:
Also news to me... I'm an artist!
Yeah. A bad one.
Old 02.01.2011, 01:45 PM   #57
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Nearly one century ago now, Duchamp showed that you could be an artist by exposing a urinal, then André Breton showed how litterature could be created through automatic writing, then junk art showed that any item could be used to create art, then Karlheinz Stockhausen showed how music could be based on aleatoric elements, then John Cage showed how music could be strictly be reduced to pure silence, amongst others.
(and I'm just using some of the most famous examples, of course - I could also mention James Tenney's 3 pages in the shape of a pear)
Now I just don't see why, with all those things that happened in the 20th century and expanded the definition of art, someone who creates music with a computer would not be considered a musician, and an artist.
Old 02.01.2011, 01:49 PM   #58
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
So, say, someone like Dorian Concept, who can read music, but writes it on a computer, is like half a real musician ?

I would consider him a composer if he doesn't know how to play any instruments. But hey, I can now consider myself an "artist" I guess. I make a pretty mean collage.
Old 02.01.2011, 01:53 PM   #59
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
writing music makes you a composer.
He does not only writes his music but also plays it with his computer, of course. And if you check Derek's image a few posts ago, or basically any message in this thread, you will learn that a composer is - oh ! - also a musician.
Old 02.01.2011, 01:55 PM   #60
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, hev, you're really closed-minded...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth